It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death Penalty: Hypocritical or justifiable?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
What do you guys think?

Lately,I have found myself against the death penalty. It just seems a bit on the hypocritical side, don't you think?

I mean, say you kill some one. You go to court and your punishment for killing, is being killed? Okay, but if it is wrong to kill, why are we killing them?

That is not to say they should not be punished. But, if killing is wrong, then it is wrong. Period.

Now, yes, I understand you can get the death penalty for things other than murder, but that does not change the fact that killing is wrong.

What else can we do as an alternative to the death penalty? I don't know. But, if killing is wrong, why stoop to their level in order to give them punishment?

It just is hypocritical and ironic to say the least.

Now, This has the potential to be a heated topic, so, please, everyone behave. Be civil and be fair.

I don't know, I have just been pondering this today and am curious where others stand on the issue.

What say you?

edit on 8-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Cue the ATS pro-lifers to come in here praising the death penalty in

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I guess I'm a strange one

I'm not against the death penalty for any moral reasons, I figure humans are like cock roaches; too many of them anyway..

What I'm against is the cost

Death Penalty Costs

It quite simply costs more to kill them, then to just keep them locked up.

Granted the majority of that is the appeals process that automatically kicks in, but with the current political environment I'm not seeing a reform in that area anytime soon..

Semper

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sevensight

That is because they believe the death penalty is appropriate for "just cause". That is how God gets away with murder too. Everyone he killed was for "just cause", even the children, they were evil and corrupt.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with the death penalty myself either.
There is a difference between killing and murder, at least to me.
Either way, life in prison, death penalty, it cost too much, and they have way too many privileges in prison.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Ahhh, the completely inept pro-life vs pro-death penalty argument.

In both cases the "murderer" would be brought to justice. There is an innocent victim in both these crimes.

See? If you want to compare abortion to capitol punishment, it would be the not-a-mother in the electric chair...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I guess I am of more cruel bent. I think that anyone given a life sentence with no possibility of parole should be given solitary confinement, with no windows or contact with the outside world. Other than the guard that feeds them and gives them a change of clothes and blankets. And the guards are forbidden to talk to the prisoners. No visits from anybody, no friends, family, clergy.

6x8 room, One crapper and sink and bed. No chair or desk, soundproofed, no radio or TV or reading material. A lumpy mattress and kept at 60 degrees at all times and one dim bulb for light that can be changed from the hall. If they need medical treatment, it is brought to the cell.

And that is how they would live. For the rest...of...their...life.

edit on 8-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I'm against the death penalty because people who are killed may not find peace with God and so are lost to hell. It's the criminals who so desperately need the gospel to transform their lives before it's too late.

I believe that even Hitler doesn't deserve the horrors of hell.
edit on 8-9-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Could someone provide a list of developed countries that still have the death penalty. I can only think of one.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The Death Penalty: Hypocritical nonsense?

This subject is often the battleground in the war between the pragmatists and ideologists; reality vs. preference.

In the perfect world, we would not find ourselves breeding human beings that would eventually kill or otherwise cause unnecessary suffering to their fellow human beings. If there is an ounce of hypocritical nonsense to be found, it lies squarely in the minds and acts of those who do cause harm to others.

But since this is not anywhere near being that perfect world and after untold generations have come and gone trying to make it one, we can probably say with a good deal of certainty that the human condition will never reach a point where such perfection is realized. In a nutshell, it is what it is... and though we can continue trying to improve it, we must deal with the reality of the moment.

The question now reduces to what we can or should do with those poor examples of our species who devote themselves to the killing and injury of others. What punishment equals the act of taking a life?

Of course, we may correctly note that wars cause death and suffering on an industrial level. We're all too aware of this racial sin that has followed us without fail since time began. But... we are speaking to the crime within civil society here so, we shan't wander down that other path for now.

This is our dilemma because there's no escaping the cold reality of it. People will purposely, and often for no good reason, kill and harm other people. Our response is either to ignore it or respond in a way that represents our disgust and displeasure with such an act. One way is by taking the life of the life taker. It is, admittedly, both cold and cruel but still the most logical answer.

Other options include locking these people away for their entire lifetimes, where the same society that was harmed then must also care for them for the sake of their own conscience.

Hypocrisy is found in all strata of the human condition because we seek to be better than we are... or perhaps, ever will be. We denounce behaviors that we then also regularly indulge in. Lies, theft, adultery... it's easy to lay claim to a high ground and judge others from it, but damned near impossible to hold on to it when looking back at ourselves.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I support the death penalty. My view is looked down upon by many because I personally don't think the huge cost is warranted in the ways we carry them out. A bullet to the back of the head would be quick and cheap. Sure that seems a bit barbaric but I just don't see the problem.

There will always be crimes and instances that people will have issue with this particular punishment but the ones who commit said crimes are aware of their actions and the possible outcomes. So with that in mind why should society provide them with the housing, meals, and laundry service for the rest of their lives?

547000-If your concern is that they have time to find god, I seriously think from the time that they commit the crime to execution is more than plenty to work it out. If not, well, they had their chance.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I mean, say you kill some one. You go to court and your punishment for killing, is being killed? Okay, but if it is wrong to kill, why are we killing them?

To clean the world from the scum? I don't know why murderer, rapists and child-abusers shoudl live, they have no rights to, they threw them away the moment they committed horrible crimes. I don't even consider them humans, with doing the crimes, the dropped down even below animals.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Conceptually I support the death penality and have no issues with its morality.

In practice I am opposed to it. There is simply too much reliance on individuals in law enforcement, too much physical handling of evidence, too much opportunity for the biases of LE personnel to impact the results. I don't trust eye witnesses for the same reason. I am simply not supportive of giving the government that much power when they abuse and handle small, irrelevant duties with supreme incompetence.

Just about every other day on this site we have a story about a cop abusing a citizen for one reason or another. You want the dude who physically over reacts to someone holding a camera to be the key investigator of or initial observer of a crime scene, those observations being instrumental to a conviction? Not me

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I guess I'm a strange one

I'm not against the death penalty for any moral reasons, I figure humans are like cock roaches; too many of them anyway..

What I'm against is the cost

Death Penalty Costs

It quite simply costs more to kill them, then to just keep them locked up.

Granted the majority of that is the appeals process that automatically kicks in, but with the current political environment I'm not seeing a reform in that area anytime soon..

Semper

see,that is really interesting. I did not know that... Very interesting argument.

I don't know if my reasons are a moral one,but,it just seems... hypocritical to me. for the reasons I stated in my OP.

Thanks for sharing ol buddy

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
there is another option not being discussed...exile, or development of a penal colony, let em kill each other in a land of people with like minds seems more fitting. You want to live like an animal, no problem, here is the island of animals.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I don't have a problem with the death penalty myself either.
There is a difference between killing and murder, at least to me.
Either way, life in prison, death penalty, it cost too much, and they have way too many privileges in prison.

Well,yeah, I mean there are differences. For example killing an animal for food. I would not consider that murder...But,I don't eat people. There are other examples though, no doubt.

I just... have trouble calling it killing.... when people are involved. granted, as I said, these guys need to be punished.They did some horrible things,but I guess what hangs me up ( No pun intended) is whether or not we are lowering ourselves to the same level as a murder, with the death penalty.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I don't support the death penalty, but I would question the ''hypocrisy'' argument against it.

Is it hypocritical to imprison people who have been convicted of kidnap or false imprisonment ?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I'm against the death penalty for the majority of cases, mainly because it's a waste. A better version of the death penalty would be the stripping of human rights, death in the human sense but you'd still be alive. Resulting from this would be that you would then be property and able to be profitted from. Surely that'd help pay for prison costs?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mongomuggins
Could someone provide a list of developed countries that still have the death penalty. I can only think of one.

Well I don't know what you might consider to be developed ( I may consider it something else), so here is a link with a list of all countries that have the death penalty.

www.infoplease.com...

That should help you find your answer.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

To clean the world from the scum? I don't know why murderer, rapists and child-abusers shoudl live, they have no rights to, they threw them away the moment they committed horrible crimes. I don't even consider them humans, with doing the crimes, the dropped down even below animals.

So, if it makes you scum to kill some one.... What does it make the state who has them killed?

That is what hangs me up....

Like it or not, while they did horrible things to people, they are humans... so,does killing a killer, make us just as bad?

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join