It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IM Calling Out ANONymous!!! 1 piece of PROOF!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Some of these systems are on a closed network that isn't hooked up to the internet at all. No way to get to them unless you are actually on one of their computers.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Just to point out the bleeding obvious.....

Why would paper records classified as Top Secret, NOFORN, etc, be archived on to a digital system?

Wouldn't it be far easier and safer to leave these records in their original paper form to ensure security?

Even if they did decide to scan and archive these sensitive paper records, I doubt very much that the "top brass" in the DoD is going to allow such a database to be linked to anything but an internal network.

Sure you can hack their internal network, but there is no guarantee that you would be able to find anything of value before you were found out.

Just saying

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

I assure you all data is not only digitalized but there's also paper copies. The Govt loves back ups of back ups. The bleeding obvious is that no classified material would ever be available via our Internet. And god help any fool with a clearance loading any classified data on our unclassified Internet, stiff penalties. The govt has it's own classified Internet, & stand alone PCs that will never be connected to any lines, classified or not. So the real super secret squirrel stuff is not even accessible on the high side lines, for obvious reasons, & that being the practice of compartmentalization.
edit on 8-9-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

So the real super secret squirrel stuff is not even accessible on the high side lines....

Anything connected to a modem is susceptible to being hacked. The DoD is no exception.

In the late 90's a OS was designed for a law enforcement agency/department that was specifically designed to be secure. After the system was finished a young(20ish yo) Chinese expert was brought in to test the system and he managed to access the system as a super-user in under one minute and a half. It wasn't the software that let the system down but the architecture of the hardware that it had been implemented on. Because of the nature of hexadecimal systems and the way that security is layered, anything can ultimately be hacked. Even encryption can be bypassed/thwarted if the person attacking the system has enough knowledge and time.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

You don't understand, they have their own classified internet that's encrypted. You cannot hack it. I worked in military intelligence when I was in the USN my entire 5 year career. These high side lines are completely separate from our own Internet. How many times must it be said?

And do not underestimate their encryption process, it's completely secure. So secure they can send highly classified info across normal LF/HF frequencies with no worries. Anyone can intercept these messages bu they will never crack the encryption.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

*facepalm*

You wouldn't hack a military network via the Internet.

Where in my post did I say that a hacker would?

To Add....

The weakest link in any computer system is (and always will be) the end user.

]Cue "Mission Impossible theme"[
edit on 8/9/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Put your face palm away. "anything connected to a modem... yada yada"

Good to hear you know you can't hack their systems. The only way to do it is from the inside, & good luck to that because all things classified are highly secure in every way, unless it's diplomatic cables leaked to Wikileaks
so you are correct the weakest link is the user. Those with clearances are bound by laws & contracts. While we all think that Bradley (Wikileaks guys) is a hero & should be freed, I know he never will, unless a miricle comes here way, like a presidential pardon.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join