It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Mammalian Cells With Single Chromosome Set

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Researchers have created mammalian cells containing a single set of chromosomes for the first time in research funded by the Wellcome Trust and EMBO. The technique should allow scientists to better establish the relationships between genes and their function.

Source

I am all for learning to fully understanding how genes work.the why and the how things work.the causes of known and unknown diseases etc.
although I cannot help but wonder that a similar although with sinister intended experimentation lingers in the shadows.
underground experimentation will use further research & understandings to concoct/modify to deadly efficiency perfecting new viral & bacterial warfare against the populace.
It is a shame that this reality exists but it cannot be simply ignored no matter how you put it or look at it.

I hope we can advance our discerning abilities to utilize positive & productive change for our healths future.

Dr Michael Dunn, Head of Molecular and Physiological Sciences at the Wellcome Trust, says: "This technique will help scientists overcome some of the significant barriers that have so far made studying the functions of genes so difficult. This is often the first step towards understanding why mutations lead to disease and, ultimately, to developing new drugs treatments."

A step in the right direction if not in the wrong hands.

Look forward to your thoughts & opinions

edit on 7-9-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
hey this actually pretty neat and for once i kinda understand how that would work

very interesting

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This would be fun to mess around with. Do you happen to have a link to the actual paper to review the methods used? I searched, but ended up with The structure and catalytic mechanism of a poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase as the most recent publishing on September 4th, 2011. I'm wondering if they introduced like a blank sperm, but with the same receptors present on the epidermis that caused the ovum to undergo meiosis. Just a guess.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriotAct

This is the closest I could find: nature.com
hope this helps

top topics

join