It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist urges: "Scour Earth for traces of intelligent aliens "

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jritzmann

Shhhh do not give away the secret about the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil.

They think it is the acorn at the vatican or on the walls of sumeria, maybe even the pineal gland.

Knights of the Round anyone? (Holy Grail also when it "cups" and dew collects in it?

The Pharmacratic Inquisition
video.google.com...

Thousands of years ago, in the pre monarchic era, sacred plants and other entheogenic substances where politically correct and highly respected for their ability to bring forth the divine, Yahweh, God, The Great Spirit, etc.

edit on 8-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think if anything, a good place to start would be the oceans. I'm sure there are hidden things buried deep inside the earth before the comet/asteroids brought the water to this planet.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Why do I get this feeling there are government officials, geologists, astronomers, scientists, media moguls and religious leaders all at this party and we're not invited?!

"Scour Earth for traces of intelligent aliens"? Really?.....scour???

How 'bout starting with some of the Seven Wonders then working on over to Easter Island, Nazca lines, Stonehenge, Machu Picchu, some jaw-dropping ancient artifacts and the Sumerian tablets for starters???

Man o' man, this is right up there with the Vatican welcoming space brothers and NASA spotting a giant planet, Tyche, that is 4 times larger than Jupiter!

Somethin's going on and I have a feeling they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes yet again!!

I can almost assure you this has a lot to do with the heavy duty censorship being plagued on You Tube (with them pulling videos and shutting down accounts). They don't want anyone but THEM to tell YOU what to think!

edit on 8-9-2011 by Human_Alien because: grammar

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I didn't realize who the author of this thread was. James Oberg? Aren't you the one who doesn't believe in anything that's not scientifically proven? Sorta the same school of thought as Michael Shermer and Phil Plait?

Not that that's a bad thing just not the way I look at life. But had I known this was your thread I wouldn't have posted what I did above because surely YOU don't believe those places I mentioned above, were started by aliens and/or with their technology, right?

Say, are you attending that proverbial party too?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
Scour Earth for traces of intelligent aliens
07 September 2011 by Lisa Grossman
www.newscientist.com...

If smart aliens exist, they may have visited Earth millions of years ago – and left signs of their technological prowess that should be cheap and easy for us to detect.

He doesn't seem to accept any currently known proposed evidence but he seems open to the general possibility of its existence.

Well... first (from the article) there is this:

Aliens may even have left deliberate messages in our DNA, Davies says. Most DNA includes long sequences that seem to serve no biological function. Aliens may have embedded code in this "junk DNA" – a sequence of prime numbers as in the movie Contact, say – to signal their existence to us.

And then, just last night...

The History Channel ran a piece about how aliens programed human DNA so that we would value gold. Hence... therefore... ergo... it follows... THAT, man has searched for the Holy Grail (the real one). I'm sure it made perfect sense at the time; but being stone cold sober, I seemed to have missed some of the logic; but the ancient library of Alexandria, I think, was a clue, as was Hitler, the Illuminati, and the Apollo moon landings.

I was curious, so I looked up what sort of academic credentials are required for being an "Ancient Alien Theorist."

* Giorgio A. Tsoukalos has a Bachelor's degree in Sports Information Communications from Ithaca College.
* Erich von Däniken appears to have no degree (other than an honorary PhD.)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Frira

Intelligence doesn't need a degree. Nor does wisdom need a teacher. Sometimes it's best to close our eyes to see.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
In looking at most ancient structures such as Egyptian and South American pyramids and temples, it's not difficult to understand why many folk (myself included) believe the people who built them, surely must have had help from a race much further advanced than the human race was at the time. On the other hand, it has been shown that with the use of ramps, levers and other tools available at the time, large gangs of workers could move blocks of stone from quarries to building sites, then hoist them into their designated place and position. The logistics involved in every step in the construction of these massive projects are what lead me to believe the builders must have had "outside" help. I read somewhere that the cutting and fitting together of the blocks used in the building of the temples in South America, is so precise that even a rolling paper can't fit between them.
It is also my belief that humans were once subjected to DNA manipulation by at least one race from at least one other world. I think the "original" human species was to be found in Africa, then the different results of the DNA manipulation were eventually resettled in Earth's other continents, which could possibly explain the different races here on Earth. Due to the continent being as isolated as it once was, the ET's might even have moved a tribe of the advanced apes (early humans) from Africa to Australia, and left them on their own to see how they would develope. Being left alone to evolve without any outside interference, they had progressed naturally until the early European explorers, then settlers arrived.
I'm not saying I'm even close to being right in what I've just said, but am simply throwing out what I personally believe are possibilities!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by Frira

Intelligence doesn't need a degree. Nor does wisdom need a teacher. Sometimes it's best to close our eyes to see.

In academia, a degree is needed.

Without it you are "Some guy named Steve at the bar who told me last night..."

And for the History Channel to film some guys named Steve they met at the bar and give them titles-- is, well, a bit disconcerting. In truth, one of the "ancient alien theorists" is the producer-- so he gave himself the title.

Therefore, when the narrator says, "Ancient alien theorists believe...' what comes next is what the man wrote and only means his own claim-- unsubstantiated and often rejected by persons with actual scholarship in the are of study being discussed. But where is the scholarship mentioned? Where are the academics discussing these theories?

That is my point. There are no academics studying these theories, because the theories cannot stand up to academic scrutiny-- but the opinions of self-styled "theorists" carry much weight with the young. As a father-- I resent the heck out of that. Charlatans on TV are not new, but the neither is a reasonable person asking about credential new.

Which of those two: the charlatan, or the person asking for credentials, is more useful to society?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Nazi scientists already did it with pretty good results.

After their defeat it's been classified Cosmic. And now you'll never know.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira

reply to post by Frira

What does academia have to do with truth? Academia is only needed if the subject seeks a good income (via a good job). It has NOTHING to do with truth or.....having an opinion.

Listen, we've been on this planet for millions of years. We didn't need a 'degree' back then to understand and pass down the secrets of 'life'. The ancients were much more in tune with their surroundings, the cosmos and what mattered in general. In my opinion we are evolving and spinning out of control.

I am on a quest for truth. I don't care if it comes from a Physicist or a fiddle maker!
If it resonates within then, that's all that matters to me. If it doesn't sound plausible, then a well-dressed, well spoken person with four degrees can't make me believe in them any more. So in the end, it really doesn't matter

I find the most ignorant and arrogant people in the world are the ones holding degrees. All they seems to do is learn what was taught to their teachers and then......memorize it verbatim! If anything that's brainwashing (in some cases)

edit on 9-9-2011 by Human_Alien because: edit to add: Income

edit on 9-9-2011 by Human_Alien because: grammar

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira

reply to post by Frira

What does academia have to do with truth? Academia is only needed if the subject seeks a good income (via a good job). It has NOTHING to do with truth or.....having an opinion.

Listen, we've been on this planet for millions of years. We didn't need a 'degree' back then to understand and pass down the secrets of 'life'. The ancients were much more in tune with their surroundings, the cosmos and what mattered in general. In my opinion we are evolving and spinning out of control.

I am on a quest for truth. I don't care if it comes from a Physicist or a fiddle maker!
If it resonates within then, that's all that matters to me. If it doesn't sound plausible, then a well-dressed, well spoken person with four degrees can't make me believe in them any more. So in the end, it really doesn't matter

I find the most ignorant and arrogant people in the world are the ones holding degrees. All they seems to do is learn what was taught to their teachers and then......memorize it verbatim! If anything that's brainwashing (in some cases)

edit on 9-9-2011 by Human_Alien because: edit to add: Income

edit on 9-9-2011 by Human_Alien because: grammar

You are bickering just to bicker. Read what I said, and I DID explain. You ignore the explanation because you have a bias which does not allow you to accept my explanation.

I am certain that I am right about you, because I am a "Human_Alien Bias theorist" and Human_Alien Bias theorists claim that you only like to bicker.

Want to see my credentials?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Frira

I am not bickering. I am discussing and perhaps defending.

And what the hell is a bias-theorist? Bias means prejudice. Who am I supposedly prejudice against?.......people with degrees? Puh-lease!

But yes, I am indeed a theorist which means I have a belief, opinion, supposition, hypothesis.
That's all science is based on,,,,,,a theory! There is nothing certain in this life except death (and I'm not even sure it's what they taught us so..........)

I am a person who doesn't believe that a degree is necessary in order to have a very good plausible THEORY.
Just as I don't believe theories any more when they come from a rich and famous celebrity or a Harvard grad who happens to endorses it.

But unfortunately I find myself living in very superficial and pretentious times where respect (and an ear) seems to be given only to those who can prove themselves through degrees, fame or money!
Now where's the prejudice?????

I would consider a theory from a Native American Hopi Indian way before I would Stephen Hawkings!

That's my opinion. Not my bicker!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Wow Jim, never thought I'd see you make a thread on this kind of thing.

As a man of science and years in NASA's public relations grip, I have to respectfully ask you (because I do respect you a hell of a lot), if such a thing were to happen and we detected evidence that is so far unknown to us as of right now, what kind of things would you be on the lookout for and which regions would you search?

You could go the usual suspects such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, China, Turkey etc but maybe the obvious historical and archeological areas such as those don't contani evidence for ancient aliens and that we'd be better off looking in places such as Romania or something?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Frira

I am not bickering. I am discussing and perhaps defending.

And what the hell is a bias-theorist? Bias means prejudice. Who am I supposedly prejudice against?.......people with degrees? Puh-lease!

But yes, I am indeed a theorist which means I have a belief, opinion, supposition, hypothesis.
That's all science is based on,,,,,,a theory! There is nothing certain in this life except death (and I'm not even sure it's what they taught us so..........)

I am a person who doesn't believe that a degree is necessary in order to have a very good plausible THEORY.
Just as I don't believe theories any more when they come from a rich and famous celebrity or a Harvard grad who happens to endorses it.

Yes, a degree is not required to produce a good and viable theory. HOWEVER, a scientific and/or academic method is an accepted determinate of the plausibility.

"Ancient aliens changed human DNA so that humans would value gold?"

Because I am bright, not because I am degreed:
- I immediately recognize not merely the implausibility, but the absurdity of the claim
- I immediately question the rationality of the person making such a claim-- on a one hour long television program.
- I immediately want to know more about a person whose face I recognize from other programs and books [(read Erich von Däniken's Chariots of the Gods (and one other) when I was a teenager].

With an ear to the program, it was obvious that the theory was without either scientific or academic principles-- and it had the odor of sensationalism and charlatanism.

Like I wrote before, I have two teenagers-- and I think in terms of what potential such absurdities have, in a polished television program with an implicit trustworthiness of a "History Channel," for damage to young minds.

So, No. I am not tolerant of charlatanism. I know it when I see it, when I read it and when I hear it. Fake (knowingly absurd) theories in the name of science for money, for influence, and for power. It disgusts me-- even if it does not disgust you.

I'll tell you a story:
I was fourteen, and had a mother who was big into Edgar Casey, Auras, Astrology, Fortune Telling, and the like. She took me along to some group who studied such things and met weekly, had book reviews and so on. I have no responsibility for being quicker than most, but that I am has often caused problems-- especially in my youth. At one of those meetings a charlatan performed an "experiment" and demonstration of a "proof" of a paranormal ... uh.. "belief" which was popular at the time.

I saw through the scam, and sat quietly-- even participated-- until the man opened the discussion to questions. I was careful, but I gently asked two questions and the con-artist responded with hostile and condescending words. My gentleness ended then and there. I proposed a test which I knew (not guessed- KNEW) would expose the fraud. The only child in the room-- and the meeting broke up because of it. My mother never went back. The man was exposed on national TV a few weeks or months later-- doing exactly what I had deduced. He was fooling my mother, and I would not stand for it. Called "pretentious" and called "precocious" and called "arrogant"... but none of the name calling changed the fact that I was right.

By the way, that the man was fooling my mother had a direct impact on my life at home. I was subject to her rules, read what she had me read-- because she resented my deep spirituality and my increasingly studied faith. When I went into religious work as an adult, I was dis-owned. You may well imagine the disdain I hold for that charlatan and his ilk. I know what damage they do.

But here is the thing: College and grad school, both, taught me how to make an argument, how to consider a theory or propose one. There is method of discussion, of presentation and of research. Without even attempting to engage the scientific and/or academic community when presenting a theory is a valid indicator of charlatanism.

That "ancient aliens changed the DNA of humans so that humans would value gold" not only does not, but cannot, meet scientific or academic standards.

If you think otherwise, then I am sorry to inform you that you have betrayed why you consider persons who value academic and scientific methods as "arrogant" and, in that, is your baseless bias.

But unfortunately I find myself living in very superficial and pretentious times where respect (and an ear) seems to be given only to those who can prove themselves through degrees, fame or money!
Now where's the prejudice?????

I would consider a theory from a Native American Hopi Indian way before I would Stephen Hawkings!

If you are talking science, then THAT makes my point.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join