It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

simple emp "proof" or protection test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
sitting here watching some youtube videos i have notices endless "what to do" to protect your electronics

so it dawned on me it was so simple it was stupid.

take any miltiary ammo can and then take any older or new microwave and just throw your cell phone in them

either or both and dont turn on the microwave for god sake.

the goal here is to see if the cell phone will ring and log the caller id.

if the urban legends hold true to form it wont ring and you will get that auto message out of service or it will go straight to voice mail.

cell phones are nothing more than glorfied radios that use electromagnetic radiation all be less powerful that a cme or nemp.

try it and tell me if im full of it if it blocks the signal then you have something if not back to the drawing board.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It didnt work, and now my iphones fried...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
sitting here watching some youtube videos i have notices endless "what to do" to protect your electronics

so it dawned on me it was so simple it was stupid.

take any miltiary ammo can and then take any older or new microwave and just throw your cell phone in them

either or both and dont turn on the microwave for god sake.

the goal here is to see if the cell phone will ring and log the caller id.

if the urban legends hold true to form it wont ring and you will get that auto message out of service or it will go straight to voice mail.

cell phones are nothing more than glorfied radios that use electromagnetic radiation all be less powerful that a cme or nemp.

try it and tell me if im full of it if it blocks the signal then you have something if not back to the drawing board.

It may still receive a call in the microwave because a microwave oven is shielded against microwaves in the range of 2GHz.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

that was the purpose of this thread finding fact from fiction.

thanks for your input

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Ok, good job debunking that. So, what CAN we use as a Faraday cage?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

whatever it is if it cant stop a simple cell phone theres no way in hell

it will ever stop a emp or nemp

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
What about lead?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
try a cell phone under an x-ray apron?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Im doing the ammo can right now. If it works live. The cell phone wont show there was any contact.

I called let it go to voicemail. Then pulled the phone out. It shows nothing and no voicemail has come from the tower yet. I believe the phone GPS was lost from the system and the VM wont come until a polling signal is sent again.

I think wrapped and insulated inside an electronics bag and the battery out of course It will beat the emp pulse when properly grounded with wire to a ground stake.

10 min now and no VM notice. I think they poll gps every 15 min for the traffic maps.

Edit: 15 min outside of the Ammo Can, just like clockwork. VM came.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Here are some ideas. I like the galvanized trashcan with lid.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I think pretecting our phones from a emp attack would be the least of our worrys. What good is a cell phone when the towers and power grid go down? What are you going to do with your phone then?

Door stop anyone????
edit on 8-9-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
What types of things would be good to protect this way? Batteries....but what else?
Cell phones etc....would be useless.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You can make a Faraday cage out of anything really. Shoplifters make them out of plastic bags lined with foil. Just make sure that the foil, or metal, will cover everything, and that the inside is lined with an insulator of some sort.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld
What types of things would be good to protect this way? Batteries....but what else?

Roto tillers, lawn mowers, tractors, cars? Everything has some kind of damn circuit board in them anymore...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

It may still receive a call in the microwave because a microwave oven is shielded against microwaves in the range of 2GHz.

i don't know about cell phones, but one thing i noticed is that using my microwave about 15 feet from my "n" wireless router and/or receiver card in the computer, cuts out the signal completely. so personally i doubt the fact that microwave ovens are properly shielded at all. the really sad thing is that the router and computer are only about 4 feet away from each other. yet as soon as the microwave turns on i loose the network until it turns off.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld

Well, if I were so inclined to worry about these things, I might keep the following in a faraday cage: spare ECU for my car, a portable radio, walkie talkies, usb drive with important info on it, a laptop

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
I think pretecting our phones from a emp attack would be the least of our worrys. What good is a cell phone when the towers and power grid go down? What are you going to do with your phone then?

Door stop anyone????
edit on 8-9-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

I think he's onto something hehe

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

I can testify to this.

Anytime I turn the microwave on in my house, I cannot use the wireless, I have tried different laptops and wireless routers but they all do it.

top topics

join