It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhism, Virtue, and Nobility

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blazenresearcher

Originally posted by Jamjar
reply to post by Novise

Buddhism is a system that relies on the individual, it asks of a person to feel, it asks how would you feel if for example someone stole from you, if you would feel hurt then is right to inflict that on another? if someone shows you kindness and it makes you feel good then isn't it right that you show others kindness.

This is what drives Buddhist virtue.

But virtue is only the beginning of the path.

In Buddhism being educated can be seen as a dis advantage as it can lead to an individual trying to understand from an intellectual POV.
Being wealthy can lead to procrastination.

You could say that Buddha dismantled the caste system as his teaching could be understood and practised by everyone, and no you don't need to be Buddhist to understand this, just human.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Jamjar because: (no reason given)

Do you think that Buddhism just like all the other religions, deep down is just "another system"? Yes it's history and tradition are great, but so are many of the other "trap" religions.

It's been on my mind lately.
edit on 8-9-2011 by blazenresearcher because: (no reason given)

It is a system yes, but unlike other systems it makes you responsible for change. It does not ask you to rely on anything outside of yourself, there is no you must do this or that in Buddhism, it is just advise. Don't get me wrong all Buddhist practitioners aren't perfect and the label Buddhist isn't always used with good intent.
If a practitioner allows themselves to be manipulated then they are foolish, one of the great things about Buddhism is the fact that you are encouraged to question everything, only by doing this can you gain full understanding.

It is my understanding that Christ taught his followers to question as well, but this was conveniently left out which is a shame because Christianity hasn't realised its full potential

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jamjar

I like the distinction you made, how Buddhism makes you responsible for change. While it is very big on the self-responsibility side of things it does at the same time admit that the world is samsara and it understands why people suffer.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Novise

Star and Flag for an excellent, thought provoking thread.

second line...

edit on 10-9-2011 by Mindpeace because: An afterthought...

new topics

<< 1   >>

join