It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon To Have No-fly Zones By Month End

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ProphetOfZeal

Thank you for giving to me some validation. It makes me feel good! When I am out and about....I find most people don't want to hear nor talk about theories ...and what may really be. They just want to stick their heads in the sand...and not really see anything other than what the MSM tells them. Your response to what I said...is one of the things I really like about ATS.....usually there will be at least one or two people....(sometimes) more...who will agree ....and of course those that don't... always give a lively debate...which I usually enjoy too.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Enlightenme1111

Sure there's a source.

According to Science, by the end of this month NASA is expected to come up with a set of “recommendations” for spacecraft and astronauts visiting the “U.S. government property on the moon.” Of course, these recommendations will not be legally binding as the 1967 Outer Space Treaty makes it clear that the lunar surface has no owner.

www.thehindu.com...

As dozens of private teams race to return to the moon as soon as next year, spurred on by $30 million in prize money from Google and the X Prize Foundation, NASA is wrestling with how to safeguard the historic and scientific value of more than three dozen sites containing remnants of America's golden era of space exploration, including the spot where Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin Jr. left the first footprints on the lunar surface. Later this month, the agency plans to issue what it calls "recommendations" for spacecraft, or future astronauts, visiting U.S. government property on the moon.

www.sciencemag.org...

edit on 9/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

They should just let that '67 treaty go... You know, sort of like alot of the treaties we had with the American Indians.
It all sounds good on paper, but what is the reality when you find that there is "Gold in them thar hills!"
...Or Helium 3?

Let's not fool ourselves...we will own the moon...and as long as we are still profit driven, we will own it 'hard".

Lunaproperty

I own the land, I own the sea,
with every blade of grass and tree...
I own the tools that the workers use,
to build the palace that's meant for me!

I own the sky, even way up high;
the clouds as they pass are for none but I...
I own that star, and that one there;
the riches of my asteroids are beyond compare!

The Moon you say? Tis but a family heirloom;
from the age when helium was an energy boom...
And tho now tis but Swiss cheese, 'tis still a
popular getaway, where the rates are quite reasonable,
something everyone can pay.

I think history has shown that the rules we make are only effective as the morality of the men of that time will allow...
Perhaps when we, as a species, can move a little further out of the scarcity noose we all wear;
Perhaps then we can see more clearly the universal moral of respect in balance with community and nature...

and rid ourselves of greed...

edit on 9-9-2011 by Khurzon because: clarification

edit on 9-9-2011 by Khurzon because: punctuation

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
how can they put a no fly zone on the moon, nobody owns the moon do they ?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by speedmaster

In the end , NASA can say what they want about the moon and the equipment they left there.
However If I was to build a rocket to take me to the moon tomorrow and actually got there.
I literally could take a dump on the lunar module and piss all over the footsteps roll around make lunar angels in the lunar regolith and NASA couldnt do hee haw about it.

Sure I'd feel morally wrong that I ruined a human achievement milestone and upset an archaeological site, but they left it there , and they dont own the moon so tough luck .

we as humans have no jurisdiction over the moon or in fact anywhere outside of our own atmosphere , I mean we cant even get along together on this planet and already we are trying to impose no fly zones on the moon.

Oh right , I see , NATO is going to start giving humanitarian aid to the lunarians as their present dictator is causing alien rights abuses and forcing them into poverty,
When in reality we are just trying to protect our resource interests for the future !

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by joesomebody

What?!!!

And just who exactly has the arrogance to think they can or cannot dictate who can go where on the moon?

NOBODY owns the moon, nobody controls it either...if i built my own personal spacecraft (which i'd love, but obviously couldn't have!) i'd like to see them try to enforce this so called 'no fly zone'.

This is SO obvious a cover up of what many us have managed to tease out of heavily censored old lunar images, it's laughable.

Assuming this isn't some wacky story to see who'd bite on it...are we sure it's not a joke OP?

No fly zone on the moon indeed! That's the weirdest piece of BS i've read on this site in a long time.

As for 'US property' on the moon, it's abandoned...they left it, they loose it.

If they value it so much, go and bloody well retrieve it then.

edit on 9/9/2011 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I find it interesting that NASA is doing a moon mission

CNN NASA delays moon mission until tomorrow

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by buskey

Do you believe this comment to be relevant to your research?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
So i guess all is up for grabs now..

I claim EARTH as a NO MILITARY PRECENCE ZONE.
And all tax to mee...

Who are they to set rules on another body in space?!?!?

And what if "I" would make it to the moon and trash their
presious landing sites..How the f would they know..!?!?

And if they know, what else do they know that they arent telling?!?!?

Hypothetical thinking is almost like a conspiracy theorist..
Or in this case Conspiracy Terrorist...LOL

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I agree with not going near the landing sites,they are a part of history & should be shown the proper respect,NASA requesting this shouldn't come as a shock.
I'd love to see the moon landing sites after all this time as they were,it would be amazing.NASA can't force people to not go near them but saying this will make other counties aware of the historical significance of these sites.

Is something going on on the moon we should know about ?? who knows but in the future maybe 10 or so years the moon will be a busy place,with fly by tours of people wanting to see what all the fuss was about all those years ago.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Again I feel like I need to point out to all the posters who have not read the article but still feel the need to post and show their ignorance.

NASA does not think they own the moon or any part of it, The U.S. does not think they do either. This is not a “LAW” this is a “REQUEST.” All parties involved understand there is no legal way to enforce this. They are simply requesting others to respect the sites and not destroy the historical locations. There will not be any Moon Patrol setup to police these locations; there will be no fines or anything if you choose to ignore this request. It is just an appeal to humanity to respect the integrity of the sites, nothing more. There is no conspiracy, no cover up, no attempt to own the moon.

Please read the articles posted here before jumping to wild conclusions.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Tim Lawrence a highly respected Apollogist, (the study of the Apollo Space program) said in a recent statement that NASA purposely & clearly never lay claim to the moon or any part of the lunar surface during the Apollo mission like the major landing sites, henceforth any "no fly zone" policy is illegal. They lost the opportunity when they had it in the 60's & early 70's during ongoing missions !!! In this case squatter's rights is not retroactive !

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by buskey
No, this is not a joke. Let the conspiracy theories commence!

No-fly zones will come into effect on the moon for the very first time by the end of this month! Why, even buffer zones that spacecraft may have to avoid will come into existence. The reason: avoiding any spraying of rocket exhaust or dust onto certain historical sites and artefacts on the moon.

Source: www.thehindu.com...

I read the whole thread. I saw numerous reposts of the link to the Hindu article dated September 7, 2011.
www.thehindu.com...

I saw numerous reposts of the link to science.com (PAY-PER-VIEW) dated Science 2 September 2011.
www.sciencemag.org...

I saw a couple of reposts to the nasaspaceflight.com link
www.nasaspaceflight.com...
This website has also a PAY-PER-VIEW system where you could see a video of the NASA presentation.

But I did not see anyone mention yet this July 2011 article

NASA Drawing Up Guidelines to Protect Historic Lunar Sites

Posted by Doug Messier on July 21, 2011, at 4:17 p

www.parabolicarc.com...

Some interesting news coming out of the NASA Lunar Science Forum today.

NASA officials are creating the first set of guidelines designed to protect historic sites on the moon, including the Apollo landing areas and the Surveyor landers.

The guidelines are designed to help preserve and protect sites as new rovers begin to explore the lunar surface. Officials said they expect Google Lunar X Prize team competitors to begin landing vehicles beginning in 2013.

Officials want to protect the historical artifacts from dust, debris and damage that visiting rovers might produce. They are also eager to use the capabilities of the rovers to study how the lunar environment has affected vehicles and equipment on the surface.

My notes follow after the break.

Guidelines Cover 3 Categories

Human missions — Apollo (6)
Unmanned landing sites (Surveyor)
Impact/crash sites (Saturn IVB boosters, Ranger spacecraft)
Specifics

Guidelines only focused on U.S. government assets on the moon
Only technical recommendations – no legal requirements
U.S. government legally owns all this flight hardware
A living document – plan to amend as they get more information about the sites and as rover capabilities evolve
Briefed the 28 Google Lunar X Prize teams during the recent team summit in Mountain View — awaiting feedback from the teams
Will incorporate feedback, finalize rules and announce the rules during a future press conference in Washington, DC
Guidelines Cover 3 Areas

Descent and landing
Mobility
Contamination
No-Fly Zones

Heritage Lander Sites (Apollo, Surveyor): no flights within 2 km radial distance
Impact/Crash Sites (Saturn IV-B, Ranger): no flights within 0.5 km radial distance
Each lunar spacecraft should have an onboard reference system to identify the physical location relative to boundaries.
No overflight associated with landing….trajectory should be tangential to the D/L boundary
Designed to protect vehicles from dust being kicked up and possible failures of landers
Landings should be targeted to no less than 2 km away
Puts the lander over the horizon to keep the descent out of the line of sight from the historic site
Deorbit braking stages should be targeted for impact points 2.0 km from landing sites and .5 km from crash/impact sites
No physical contacts with any U.S. lunar hardware
Apollo Sites

Apollo 11 and 17

Recommend that Apollos 11 and 17 are treated as unique with no visits
Apollo 11 – 75 radial meters away from descent stage
Apollo 17 – 225 radial meters away from descent stage
Protects all human activities at those sites
Apollo 12, 14, 15 and 16

Open for scientific investigation
Must stay 1 meter and 3 meters away from objects (depending upon type)
No restrictions on footprints and lunar rover tracks outside of specified areas
Laser ranging retro-reflectors (LRRRs) need to be carefully preserved because they are still being used for experiments today
Crash/Impact Sites

Surveyor – 1 meter buffer zone
Apollo 14 S-IVB – rovers can drive to rim of crater and observe. Entry into crater needs to be coordinated with NASA.
Rovers and Hoppers

Rovers – can drive within designated Apollo sites and around keep-out zones
Can’t stay overnight – if the rover dies, should be outside the exclusion zone
Landers of the hopper configuration are not allowed to land within the 2 km radius
Hoppers can do low altitude tangential flybys of lunar heritage sites.

Here is a link to the NASA Lunar Science Forum page
lunarscience2011.arc.nasa.gov...

edit on 9/18/2011 by SayonaraJupiter because: add last link

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join