It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Oil: To create jobs, let us drill more

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I tell you, if you have asked me a few years back about more drilling in the US I probably would have pulled a "greeny one", but I am not oblivious or ignorant of the needs of our nation, I worry about my children future (now adults) and My grandchildren scare me more.

We our nation is disintegrating and becoming a welfare state, we have more than half of the population in low income levels and poverty, our middle class is almost gone and those left paying taxes are been gouged, (with exception of the super rich they got very good tax brakes), so looking at all this I am screaming for something that will help this nation become prosperous again, I was a child during the prosperity years we enjoyed and what we got now doesn't even compare even when we have all kind of crap to make us look better and the government gives the false impression of prosperity.

But we are not.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
LOL it will create more jobs??? Oh thats right sure it will. It will create jobs for people to count all the additional money the Big oil companies will get and then put people to work from other countries. Screw them. I say NO, NO, NO!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
LOL it will create more jobs??? Oh thats right sure it will. It will create jobs for people to count all the additional money the Big oil companies will get and then put people to work from other countries. Screw them. I say NO, NO, NO!

There were somewhere between 50,000-75,000 jobs lost due to the drilling moratorium according to a careerbuilder.com article. From people I have spoken to in the industry they say the numbers are actually closer to 200,000 jobs when you factor in logistics related jobs and secondary fields.

www.theworkbuzz.com...

I personally know over 80 deepwater divers alone that are out of work at the moment as well as numerous mechanics, welders, tool pushers, etc. While the 80 divers may seem like a small number to some, you have to realize that some of us have worked for many years without ever seeing a slowdown, combined with the fact that as of 2008 there were only 437 deepwater divers certified to work in the U.S. offshore industry. Of the divers that still are working, most of them are either working overseas of have went into different fields.

Drilling for our own oil instead of allowing foriegn companies to drill and sell us our oil would in all reality almost immediately produce upwards of 100,000 good paying jobs in this country with no need to impliment new infrastructers to support new green technology.

The irony of your statement is that people from other countries are right now as I type this, making money off of the drilling in the gulf because the moratorium only effects American companies operating within the bounderies of our leases that are within our federal waters and ecological bounderies. Foriegn companies are drilling right now outside of these bounderies while American companies are not even allowed to drill outside of our bounderies because the moratorium effects American companies regardless of where the drill in the gulf since they are bound by American laws.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

How many more jobs would it create to make every home in this country energy independent? Solar, geothermal, wind and other sources can already supply all our needs without a new energy source. How many people would that employ? How come we can create rovers that can travel all over mars for years without refueling, yet can only travel a few hundred miles in cars? People complain that it is too expensive but this is not true. If you add in all the subsidizes, tax breaks, wars and cleanup, it is much more expensive to keep going the way we are.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina
reply to post by Nucleardiver

How many more jobs would it create to make every home in this country energy independent? Solar, geothermal, wind and other sources can already supply all our needs without a new energy source. How many people would that employ? How come we can create rovers that can travel all over mars for years without refueling, yet can only travel a few hundred miles in cars? People complain that it is too expensive but this is not true. If you add in all the subsidizes, tax breaks, wars and cleanup, it is much more expensive to keep going the way we are.

You do realize that most of the components for our everyday life come from petroleum byproducts? The plasitcs that go into making components for the windmills, solar panels, computers, rockets, spacesuits, clothes, computers, and even cars. Look at any car sitting in a parking lot or driving down the road and look at all the plastics that are in them. Those plastics are the left over remains from the refinery process, that is why plastics are in everything. It is a means to "dispose" of the refinery byproducts.

So let's say we stop refining fuels from petroleum and start refining plastics only, then what do we do to dispose of the byproduct that remains which will be mostly the lighter crude run-off that makes up fuel. While we may have a rover that has travelled on mars off of solar power you need to take into account the number of years they have been there since January 2004, and the distance they have traveled. Spirit has traveled 7,528 meters (4.7 miles) and Opportunity has traveled 11,671.23 (7.25 miles). Also to consider is the electrical requirement to run the rovers and how long they have sat dead because of no power. And you are complaining about getting a few hundred miles on one charge in an electric car, which can go that distance in a couple of hours?

While I support alternative energy sources it is also a matter of cost and logistics. A friend of mine here in Fl took his home off the grid last year, he has 57 batteries with power inverter and solar panels and still has to use a diesel generator that runs 3-4 hours a day to keep the batteries up depending on his pwer use. He built a lot of his system himself since he retired from NASA as a power management engineer and his system still cost almost 75k to build. Where are people supposed to get the money to invest in this type of technology? That is the biggest problem with alternative energy resources, while they are green for the environment, they are hard on the green in your bank account.

Being a sailor I am all for wind power, I have 2 wind generators on my sailboat but none of the alternative resources we have now could sustain us at our present rate of consumption. It is all our current facilities can do to keep up with the demand.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It's more BS from Big Oil. They're grandstanding for more profits and laxer regulations and they'll use the rehashed promise of "more jobs" if only we give them everything they want. They have leases now they're not utilizing because one thing Big Oil in the past hasn't liked is HEAVY CRUDE, which is what US and Canadian drilling produces. What they really love is that sweet light crude from the Persian Gulf and Mideast sources.

I've read that most of the domestic produced oil is bound for our foreign markets like Japan, where as the oil we buy from Saudi Arabia and OPEC is bound for our markets.

The Oil Sands in Canada is a huge source of oil, but it's heavy crude, requires more refining, and thus not being tapped nearly to it's full potential.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Not going to happen in the USA, now if you could outsource the work to india the feds may allow it.

Seriously the US federal government doesn't want americans to have real jobs, opportunity and growth... Their too busy forcing jobs out of the country.

Infrastructure, the Obama admin will spend billions on, where states are simply digging up and resurfacing the same stretches of roads over and over now, is where they believe they can create jobs.

Oil production, if outsourced YES, for domestic jobs... NOT a chance!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BillfromCovina

The problem is that as long as we produce oil and our dollar is backed by that oil and our market speculators control oil prices the US government and those behind its power will never let oil dependency go, yes they can give away grants to companies to "think and create innovative ideas" but like they did during the early Clinto years they will fade away when big interest money run congress.

So rather than fight the corruption that as we can see is winning lets us the people cash out also, because right now we are the biggest losers.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I agree, We already have two failed stimulus one under Bush and one under Obama, soon will be a third one all since 2008, the nation can not keep surviving on the promises of creation of jobs using taxpayer money that only adds more to the debt

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Not only does creating jobs through government funded projects add to the debt, it ultimately provides no real return, so it is a loss...It is a false economy, one that millions are living in now, either working for companies that have government contracts, or dependent on government, unemployment etc.

Obama is desperately seeking an easy fix to a simple problem, and he is doing it all the most complex and wrong ways.

Government is the problem... Get it out of our way, and freedom and liberty alone will take it from there.

Government is too big, too powerful and is through its massive size and scope, spending, regulations, taxes, restrictions, legislation etc has and is squeezing the life out of this nation and economy.

It is probably too late to do anything about it now, had to happen on someone's watch, too bad, Obama seemed like a nice guy.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

You forgot one more thing, about government, is run by special interest and corruption, so anybody that believe our government is still for the people and by the people are for a crude awakening.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

In these times, those fortunate enough to have lucrative federal contracts are benefiting greatly from all of this "enhanced spending"

When that ship sails, the real collapse moves in, and it will be unstoppable by that time.... All of those special interests and corporate elites will have long ago abandoned ship, and boarded for China, and elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

You forgot one more thing, about government, is run by special interest and corruption, so anybody that believe our government is still for the people and by the people are for a crude awakening.

And the Oil Industry is run by the same lot.

So I guess we should defer to naked exposure to their agenda huh? Not a shred of deterrence

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Not only does creating jobs through government funded projects add to the debt, it ultimately provides no real return, so it is a loss...It is a false economy, one that millions are living in now, either working for companies that have government contracts, or dependent on government, unemployment etc.

Obama is desperately seeking an easy fix to a simple problem, and he is doing it all the most complex and wrong ways.

Government is the problem... Get it out of our way, and freedom and liberty alone will take it from there.

Government is too big, too powerful and is through its massive size and scope, spending, regulations, taxes, restrictions, legislation etc has and is squeezing the life out of this nation and economy.

It is probably too late to do anything about it now, had to happen on someone's watch, too bad, Obama seemed like a nice guy.

Yup just look at the failed solar company in Ca that cost us the taxpayers $535 million to stay in business for what 18 months?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver

You do realize that most of the components for our everyday life come from petroleum byproducts? The plasitcs that go into making components for the windmills, solar panels, computers, rockets, spacesuits, clothes, computers, and even cars. Look at any car sitting in a parking lot or driving down the road and look at all the plastics that are in them. Those plastics are the left over remains from the refinery process, that is why plastics are in everything. It is a means to "dispose" of the refinery byproducts.

So let's say we stop refining fuels from petroleum and start refining plastics only, then what do we do to dispose of the byproduct that remains which will be mostly the lighter crude run-off that makes up fuel. While we may have a rover that has travelled on mars off of solar power you need to take into account the number of years they have been there since January 2004, and the distance they have traveled. Spirit has traveled 7,528 meters (4.7 miles) and Opportunity has traveled 11,671.23 (7.25 miles). Also to consider is the electrical requirement to run the rovers and how long they have sat dead because of no power. And you are complaining about getting a few hundred miles on one charge in an electric car, which can go that distance in a couple of hours?

While I support alternative energy sources it is also a matter of cost and logistics. A friend of mine here in Fl took his home off the grid last year, he has 57 batteries with power inverter and solar panels and still has to use a diesel generator that runs 3-4 hours a day to keep the batteries up depending on his pwer use. He built a lot of his system himself since he retired from NASA as a power management engineer and his system still cost almost 75k to build. Where are people supposed to get the money to invest in this type of technology? That is the biggest problem with alternative energy resources, while they are green for the environment, they are hard on the green in your bank account.

Being a sailor I am all for wind power, I have 2 wind generators on my sailboat but none of the alternative resources we have now could sustain us at our present rate of consumption. It is all our current facilities can do to keep up with the demand.

Much of the plastic we use is waste. There are alternatives, though, such as hemp. I also did not say we need to completely stop using oil products.

My point about the rovers is that they have lasted and functioned so long without refueling and new batteries. They also perform other functions besides moving around. Look at the distance records for solar cars.

You say that alternatives are hard on the bank account but this is not true. The other industries are heavily subsidized and this hides there true costs. Look at the nuclear power industry.

Do you really think that the oil companies want to flood the market with oil? This drives the price and their profits down. They only want the restrictions against them loosened so that their costs go down. They will not hire many more people if you loosen these restrictions. What will be the penalties against them if they don't hire? My guess is that the plan was to have no penalties against them.

I agree that we need to change our consumption rate. We have created a very wasteful and consumption based society.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

When you figure out how to do it, let the rest of us know. It isn't as easy as you have been led to believe. Most of these systems are terribly inefficient and are subject to reliability issues. Then you have the environmental wackos who won't be happy until we are back to the Stone Age technologicaly.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

When you figure out how to do it, let the rest of us know. It isn't as easy as you have been led to believe. Most of these systems are terribly inefficient and are subject to reliability issues. Then you have the environmental wackos who won't be happy until we are back to the Stone Age technologicaly.

You have people and groups with extreme views on both sides of the fence to be honest. But it has gotten to the point that a drastic and invested change in how we create and use energy in this world must happen. We are at a tipping point here and letting corporations decide on policy is detrimental to everyone. I like our home planet Earth we live on and it is time for BillyBob to get his old junk out of the driveway because the constant oil leaks on the driveway is leaking on the grass and killing it. If you get my pun here.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

I read this and thought, great, let's drill and create jobs, provide more oil and bring gas prices down.
Seems simple right?

High gas prices have done a lot more good than harm. They prompt people to drive less and drive slower. In the last few years highway deaths have fallen from 40k to 34k. This year i bet its under 30k. And a huge savings in property damage and medical bills too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join