It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

shooter games, paintball, laser tag and airsoft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
All these games glamorise miltry war why do we entertain ourselfs with such voilence.

Im not a stranger any of the titled 'sports', i enjoy the strategy and fast paced action as much as the next person.

But is it as straight forward as it looks?

We kill in game scenarios for fun and competition some poeple blame this on MSM and TPTB focusing the young and able at a violent and fun 'game'.

Isnt it our natural instinct to be competative? Are the games just going off what in the news headlines, or are they just making honest money of a human fasination.

Im torn between the glamorisation of voilent games and the conspricy to create the market for it.

What do you think; games like this are for fun because its our nature, or we are subconsiouly listening to the main stream media and higher powers?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
All these games glamorise miltry war why do we entertain ourselfs with such voilence.

My reasons for playing FPS games:

1) I love the gameplay, strategy, and fun factor behind these games (regardless of violent nature)
2) The graphics these days on consoles make the game feel realistic to a degree
3) It is a great stress reliever to shoot someone in fiction
4) I would rather shoot people in a video game than in person...I won't even handle a gun in the real world...I would rather use a controller and know that I don't take the gaming seriously enough to join the military hahah

Just my thought....also, Call of Duty series is awesome!

S&F for post. The reason why I did this is because some people in the real world take playing games, paintballing, and other forms of play shooting seriously enough to try it in real world (maybe). Unless they suffer from a big time psychological illness, I wouldn't see this to be a serious issue these days.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

IMO It's a primal thing. I grew up playing shooters, still do too. I think it taps into our instinct to hunt.

The question is, does the increasing violence in video games help to desensitize it? Again, if you ask me, no. I get queezy gutting a fish. Give me some zombie heads to blow to chunks n gibs and no problem!

Also, there is a good argument that this stuff lets people play out there indulgences by allowing them to release there inner angst. Personally, I would rather the youth of the world shoot at each other in a virtual environment than out on the street.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

My thoughts exactly....nicely said

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well, I am of the mindset that with proper education, these activities don't have to be the catalyst to violence. My parents felt the same way too, thankfully. I was never kept away from guns or video games as I grew up, but I had to own them responsibly. My parents taught me right and wrong, life and death, actions and consequences. I knew how to repsonsibly own and handle a gun, or to know that killing someone in a video game was vastly different than real life. Basically, my point is, why do we have to go immediately to violence being the result of guns or video games? I guess I just go with the words of my favorite bumper sticker....."Guns don't kill people, people kill people". The same can hold true for all these topics mentioned in the OP.....paintball, video games, airsoft, LARPing, etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

You have cunning fallen on one of the many traps this thread seeks out.

You say you play to have fun and relieve stress, yet you also say the game graphics are realisic.

This could mean you get wound up at work and perhaps might enojoy KILLING pixel effigies of your daily grind to release this stress.

This inferrs that you are killing for relief as a natural thing rather than one taught or forced on you.

This is good in my eyes, no one likes to be manipulated.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
But then again....

(presented without comment)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
In the 1950's do you think people would be ok with amount of violence we face today? I do not think so. We have slowly been implemented into violence, first it started with movies then music and now video games.Violence is apart of every beings nature, the question is, is it justified violence, in most cases its not. Most movies and video games are about killing or have killing in them. I will admit I love these games. They are fun and competitive. I hate what they represent, death and destruction. In a video you game you can never really die you just re-spawn. Video games are nothing like real combat situations. Their is no doubt that allot of these games and movies are made in hope of getting more solders. I believe thats what the COD series is all about. COD is one of the only big title games that you can download illegally and play online. Most games have strong protection so that you cant play the game online with out a good cd key. You can play COD4 and CODmw2 illegally, its almost like they did this on purpose to get more people to play the game.

I think that all guns and bombs ect should be banned but it will never happen, it cant happen because they have all ready been invented. So we have to live with that reality. Laser tag, air soft, video games and paint ball can be a good means of learning how act in a combat environment. Although most people just play them for fun.
edit on 7-9-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

I wanted this thread to highlight human nature with brianwashing for violence.

I want to say "we as humans enjoying competition and slaughter becaus ethat is what we were made for, but we do it in a way that hurts no ones and lets us get on with our job and the contribution to humantiy"

rather than "we are made for war and games and media pushes that on us, making us blood thirsty"

Do you see the distinction. Many would have video games and some media banned for violence and they could have a piont. I just want your opinion.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
I believe thats what the COD series is all about. COD is one of the only big title games that you can download illegally and play online. Most games have strong protection so that you cant play the game online with out a good cd key. You can play COD4 and CODmw2 illegally, its almost like they did this on purpose to get more people to play the game.

Umm I'm not sure where you get that info from... Xbox live banned a whole lot of users just before the release of Cod-MW2 to ensure that nobody could play pirated copies of the game. I can guarantee you that studios like Activision are not going to offer up their games for free, unless it's going to benefit them directly in some way.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
almost ALL of us as kids (well the boys and some girls) played Army or cowboys and indians as kids, these games are just an extension of those things, I'd say most of us grew up well adjusted

FYI: I played Paintball, gave it up for Airsoft

top topics

join