It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Cloaking System Makes Tank Invisible to Infrared Sensors.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This system constantly maps its surrounding heat signature and mimics it, effectively making the tank completely invisible to infrared.Guess they'll have to work on muffling the sound next,but none the less I'm sure it will kill thousands of innocent people.
Source

BAE Systems's Adaptiv technology enables objects as big as tanks to completely vanish from view--when seen at night with an infrared sensor, admittedly, but that's still a major advantage. An Adaptiv-outfitted tank can change its thermal signature to look like anything from a big rock to a truck to nothing at all, fading into the background and becoming invisible.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
As evil looking as it is effective, i love the shape shifting idea to it and why not.

Presumably this is technology for advanced targets with heat seeking and identification tech.

I mean to the naked eye/nightvison it still looks like a tank right?

Super sonic spy planes having using exhaust cooling systems for a good while, nice to see the tech on the ground.

How long till cartell boats start using similer ideas etc, its good but making it public might be bad.

I guess this is why some tech is always secret.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
why do we always have to come up with more ingenious ways to kill off our fellow humans

maybe i´m a cinic, but i don´t applaud ´inventions´ like this at all.

if we only put the effort of developing weapons into something else...

oh god, i´m such a dreamer

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Nice find! Amazing the technology we do get to see. They probably got space age tech that they don't show us. Bet they are dieing for another war to get to use it

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I doubt the Swedish are going to go killing thousands of innocent people anytime soon, especially with tanks.

In recent wars, innocent people usually end up being killed as collateral damage from airstrikes not tanks.

This is an amazing technology though and BAE plans on expanding into optical cloaking as well, making a true thermoptic active camo system.

It won't be completely undetectable though, we still have ground surveillance radar and LADAR systems that could be used.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
As evil looking as it is effective, i love the shape shifting idea to it and why not.

Presumably this is technology for advanced targets with heat seeking and identification tech.

I mean to the naked eye/nightvison it still looks like a tank right?

Yeah pretty much...but due to the fact that people are really not a threat to a vehicle like this I don't see that as being a problem...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by Daedal

I doubt the Swedish are going to go killing thousands of innocent people anytime soon, especially with tanks.

In recent wars, innocent people usually end up being killed as collateral damage from airstrikes not tanks.

This is an amazing technology though and BAE plans on expanding into optical cloaking as well, making a true thermoptic active camo system.

It won't be completely undetectable though, we still have ground surveillance radar and LADAR systems that could be used.

I'm sure they will be sold to the highest bidder..I don't forsee the use of tanks not being made to kill people.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be great if our jets had this.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

BAE will make contracts with other nations in regards to the technology, but as far as I know, Sweden hasn't ever exported tanks to anyone.

Now if Russia and China develop some stealth tanks, they'll end up in places like North Korea, Venezuela, Sudan, Iran, Pakistan, Burma, Vietnam, Zimbabwe, Syria, etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
from the pic its instantly obvious how the tech works.

Using electronic "Peltier Plates" its possible to cool a side of metal and using mini wire (like rear windshields) through the same material can provide heat. Then you just need a mediam to set it in that conduects heat, looks like some sort of rubber or plastic polymer, set in sizes that compliment the desired "resolution" per square inch, and your good to go.

Ive had similar ideas to this before now and im sort of shocked its only now we see it, unless its been covert for 20 years already ofc.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by Daedal

BAE will make contracts with other nations in regards to the technology, but as far as I know, Sweden hasn't ever exported tanks to anyone.

Now if Russia and China develop some stealth tanks, they'll end up in places like North Korea, Venezuela, Sudan, Iran, Pakistan, Burma, Vietnam, Zimbabwe, Syria, etc.

Agreed.Guess we'll have to see who ends up with them

link   
It's all slap on the back time until someone realises that the tank tracks left on the ground will be hot to IR detectors...a big rock with a set of hot parallel tracks leading right to it? Oops.

Fine if the thing never moves...then it's not really a tank any more, it's a gun emplacement.

link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses

Yeah pretty much...but due to the fact that people are really not a threat to a vehicle like this I don't see that as being a problem...
What? Do you know why tanks are never sent out by themselves? Do you know why they are always accompanied by infantry(these days either mechanized or at least motorized but still infantry)? Tanks are sitting ducks against small groups, especially in urban environments where they cannot easily maneuver. Have you ever heard of tank pits? Ever hear of Thermite or "willy pete"(white phosphorous)? Have you ever heard of mines or ied's? Even homemade napalm can make life a true "living hell" for tankers. Tanks have their place in warfare, but they are not the end all, be all.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
It's all slap on the back time until someone realises that the tank tracks left on the ground will be hot to IR detectors...a big rock with a set of hot parallel tracks leading right to it? Oops.

Fine if the thing never moves...then it's not really a tank any more, it's a gun emplacement.

Or a spotter on the ground paints it with a targeting laser.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Yep.

A laser net, will make this technology null and void before it's even implemented too.

Set up a relatively cheap motion detector laser grid, a cheap simple seismic sensor array, scattered microphones and it's beaten, not very impressive really.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

LADAR and other laser systems can be defeated though, especially by weather conditions.

There are also types of smoke screening that have been developed for this purpose.

top topics

join