It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does having the title of being rich or poor affect how people are treated?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hi, I'm RJ and I have not posted on ATS in a long long long time. I have a research project in the Social Sciences class that needs feedback in this area.

What we are trying to figure out (my group) is peoples opinions of Rich people and or poor people. Also we would like to know if anyone is financially rich, in what ways do they view the poor and have their ideas changed the longer they have been in a "higher status"?

Also I would like to hear feedback from everyone, what are your opinions of Rich people, of poor people? Do you have biases or life lessons that affect how you view them? Be as general but specific as possible. Please for truth sorting reasons be able to back up your stories... and if your just making something up, please say its your opinion and not from experience or something of that nature.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I run a lower middle class family. When the upper middle class parents at my kids school found this out they stooped talking to us and stopped letting their kids hang out with my kids. They figured I was one of them because I work for a good company and have a respectable job. What they didn't realize is that my job no longer pays as much as it used to due to capitalist filth.

When it was found out that we rent instead of own our house and that we don't drive a band new car the upward turning of noses towards my family was almost instant.

Doesn't help that I wear metal t shirts. Even if I was rich I wouldn't try to live the cookie cutter Madison AV lifestyle. Would still sport the metal tees and swear like a sailor.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

I am a person who is (at this present time) financially challenged. However....I was raised with a good education, excellent table manners and many of the social graces. I am always clean and neat and when I go out into the public ....I stay good mannered and with a smile. I have been put in social situations...where there have been a lot of wealthy people around. I have gotten into some conversations with these rich people...and some have been snobs.....but many have been very kind and interested in me and what I have to say. Many of them have indicated to me in various ways....that they took an interest in me....because I was polite....well groomed...and I knew how to conduct myself at the dinner table. I came to the conclusion....that good manners etc. seem to make a good impression on the rich...not all of them look down on people that are financially poor.....(for being financially poor)..but they do have a problem with the poor when they are rude etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm pretty financially challenged right now. That being said, I have friends from every walk of life, from lower class to upper-middle-class. I've noticed that it's only the people who have been raised in the very upper crusts who seem to have any problem with the way that I am.

I have good manners, sure, but I don't make any bones about the fact that I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I don't dress like I just walked out of a Couture catalog, I'm not ashamed of my used car, etc. I notice that this seems to make people uncomfortable, as if I'm supposed to be ashamed that I'm not filthy rich.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I work for some Mexicans that came here with lots of money. They cannot understand why I do not value money like they do. It frustrates them. They view it as some sort of mental problem. They lack richness of character.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
Hi, I'm RJ and I have not posted on ATS in a long long long time. I have a research project in the Social Sciences class that needs feedback in this area.

What we are trying to figure out (my group) is peoples opinions of Rich people and or poor people. Also we would like to know if anyone is financially rich, in what ways do they view the poor and have their ideas changed the longer they have been in a "higher status"?

Also I would like to hear feedback from everyone, what are your opinions of Rich people, of poor people? Do you have biases or life lessons that affect how you view them? Be as general but specific as possible. Please for truth sorting reasons be able to back up your stories... and if your just making something up, please say its your opinion and not from experience or something of that nature.

RJ, my response is based on observations during my lifetime. i'm an old fart that was born into a lower middle class family raised in a predominantly white bread combination working class / white trash town, in a State where one gets to see lots of other people both poor and wealthy.

Rich people: I'm figuring you are going by money, family wealth and holdings. Old money and new money people are very different. Both may have showcase homes, finer cars and all the trappings but I think old money tends to have much more social responsibility. Old money is more well established, has a true line of power that comes with wealth well networked, and will typically be more well educated from far back in the family tree. Living well generation after generation gives greater opportunity to have a firm grasp of the world. Being established allows one to pursue things aside from seeking money and goods. Because of this I think old money is quicker to aid causes and charities, and does so regularly. The truly well-heeled and powerful have a long history of establishing means to benefactor many causes, not just short term either.

'New money' is the enfant terrible of the social set, all too eager to prove their worth in a world where they barely belong. The presence of wealth, newly acquired wealth, will often go hand-in-hand with crass, boorish behavior, a lack of refinement, and the absence of dignity that comes with an exclusive old money upbringing. New money is the loud-mouthed Ugly American tourist cliche, very full of it's self while it is tolerated by some but for the most part unloved by all, at it's own doings. New money is the ultimate doosh frat boy driving Daddy's new Mercedes as most at The Club suspect the night will end in date-rape.

that is my opinion of the wealthy from what i've seen. obviously i can't comment on how those actual people see or view anything.

As for poor people, people who live at poverty levels, I cannot claim to have known many. My life has predominantly been lived among commoners, working class people. Folks that struggle to pay all the bills, drive domestic automobiles and cannot afford vacations. Perhaps there are those who would consider me 'poor'. I consider myself lucky. Always a roof over my head, food on the plate.

For what it's worth, I can share opinion based on life experience:

Most people are their own worst enemy, bad habits and foolish choices their downfall. Governments, their schools, religion and primal urges curse most people lives by control. The importance of education cannot be stressed enough. Commoners are doomed by their preoccupation with breeding, this borne of ego, vanity and careless rendezvous in all too many cases resulting in unplanned unwanted pregnancies. Too many lack the great strength, patience, love and intelligence needed to be a good parent. Parenting is a Herculean task; blessed are those who can raise a child well.

Far too many adults suffer from arrested development, their intelligence and rational limiting their life choices from around ages 14-17. These minimalists suffer greatly for their foolishness, as do the people around them. Having learned a how to get by pattern at a young age they never rise above. It is sad to observe.

--- these are just opinions and i'm just a nit-wit, but i hope you'll find a little something you can use in there.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Not always. I have seen poor people look down on poor people, rich people look down on rich people, poor look up to rich people, rich people look up to poor people and many other various combinations of interaction.

I hang out with a very wealthy man every Sunday that owns one of the biggest financial management firms in the nation. We laugh our asses off at juvenille stuff, eat together, have meaningful conversations, and have cried together on numerous occassions.

He has millions in assets...I have $3.86 in my bbva account.

Not all rich people want to hang out with other rich people..some would love to eat with their hands while eating a steak in a very formal setting sometimes just to shake things up a bit...maybe burp or let one rip out the other end.

Seriously dude...for real.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I admire and envy, people who made their wealth. (Versus someone who was born into it and given things.) I think that most of them are basically good people. Definitely, they are smart. There are certain wealthy people who are very scary though. I was recalling this factory CEO who is now in jail, because he allowed poison peanut butter into the market, and innocent people died, from it's lethal ecoli. Could have easily been me and or mine.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
But in answer to the OP's question, I think it is only how one presents oneself. Everyone rich and poor, will respond to...........that.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
not really, it depends which circle you want to roll around in. Rich people obviously will feel uncomfortable in poor areas and vice versa. I often do not go to poor areas because I drive a Lexus because of the way people are treated when they have nice things in poor areas, it is just reality.

We're human, we judge and until income distribution is more equal, everybody will be judged of their status.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

What we are trying to figure out (my group) is peoples opinions of Rich people and or poor people.

Americans believe that if you worship the rich you can
become like them.
Its as simple as that.
Thus tax breaks for the rich are a great idea
because even if you are a poor homeless
person anyone in America inc. can become rich
and then those tax breaks would be for you.
That would be real sweet.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Used cars put alot of people off. Heck I know people who make next to nothing and they drive brand spanking new cars, mind you they spend everything they earn just to keep it. This makes no sense to me. I have a 2002 chev impala, coats me a few thousand a year on repairs and maintenance all of which I perform myself. However much cheaper than financing the same car brand new. I'm close to hitting 230000 with it. I expect to have it for at least one more year.

I also have a 1999 sunfire GT 128000 km. I love this car as it gives me zero problems and is cheap on gas. This is the one I get alot of comments about. One parent at a soccer game asked me one day who drives that old ghetto car. I said me whats the problem, they replied oh it just looks so out of place considering all the other cars here are new. Lol. Like I care. Enjoy your 900 dollar a month finance on your pickup truck.

Oh the lady who commented on my car also said oh I'm so sorry I didn't know you were poor. She jumped to this conclusion based on the age of my car, which I got for free lol. I said no I'm not poor I just don't blow my money like an idiot.
edit on 11/9/7 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

My mother worships the rich and makes every attempt possible to rub shoulders with them. I've told her on numerous occasions that's its possible she is mentally ill.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Its not so much the rich. The rich know they are in a class of their own. Some are normal people some aren't. To me the worst is upper middle class people. Most of them think they are rich people and that their s**t doesn't stink. They want everything done yesterday and feel everyone owes them something.

My job allows me to meet people from all walks of life. I'm telling you, upper middle class people = self absorbed idiots.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I've been both poor and not-poor. I vastly prefer the latter.

Is there a difference in how people are treated? Do you even have to ask? Everyone on both sides of that fence should know the answer to that by age 5 or so, no?

Don't think its money but its age and experience...the older I get the more I realize how fortune is tied to luck as much as or more than skill in many cases...I see a man or woman across from me they have the same eyes and soul as me so I don't look down on them and I think its really only a matter of twists and turns of fate our places aren't switched. At the same time business is business, I ain't exactly opening my doors to all comers off the street. In fact I would say one of the great advantages of money is being able to isolate yourself from other people and to carve out solitude in both space and time.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

There has been a war on the poor for a long time now.. it has culminated in this century by Right Wing Commentator Matthew Vadum of the Capital Research Center wanting to make voting by the poor an illegal act. He saysL "registering the poor to vote is un-American."
www.rawstory.com...

Take that to your teacher.. and ask her/him what they think of the 14th amendment and to teach the class what a 'slippery slope' is in the law.

Remember that:
14th Amendment and
'Slippery Slope'.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
When I attended university in the US, I did not notice any difference. However on the internet Americans are more vocal about how the rich are treated "better", which I did not really notice. There didn't seem to be much classism, and everyone was treated equally.

In Asia there is DEFINITELY classism. Even the police treats you differently. In my opinion either some parts of the world are unbearably corrupt or some people are looking for drama.

I cannot base this on any basic story, but rather on the sum of my experiences.
edit on 8-9-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Psychopaths crave power and money and the way i see it, statistically there should be many more psychopaths among the rich compared to the rest.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Thank you for all the responses thus far.

I noticed that many of you find that Rich people can be either or, but most of you say that they largely stick up their noses. I also developed more questions that I will be posing later.

Does anyone feel like Rich people forget what its like to be poor? Do rich people stop caring? Do rich people learn something? Why do Rich people change their attitudes?

What is everyone elses opinions of Wealth and Materialism the union and or correlations?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

It really, really depends on one key factor: is the person symmetrical or asymmetrical. If the person is symmetrical then money/class doesn't matter. If the person in question is asymmetrical well then money and class matter for everything.

Also some people are just trash regardless of their own socioeconomic level. The well to do trash tend to be the snobbiest as they are really low class and they know it, so they force their inner feelings onto others.

But if your symmetrical, people will always looks more highly upon a poor symmetrical person then on a rich asymmetrical person.

top topics

join