It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe in Precognition? Any experiences?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
pre·cog·ni·tion   [pree-kog-nish-uhn]
knowledge of a future event or situation, especially through extrasensory means.

I am curious to how many users believe this phenomenon to be real. I think most of us have had at least one occurence in our lives where we had a feeling that something would happen, and it did, whether it was an old friend calling you on the phone after many years, or a gut feeling to avoid a certain place or event, only to learn later that something bad happened there.

I'm guessing science would chalk this all up to coincidence, a hunch with no basis in reality. Precognition often strikes without warning, and is therefore difficult to prove by most scientific methods. I guess psychic ability falls into the same category as ghosts and demons, most people will always have a 'show me or it doesn't exist' attitude about these things. And any proof will be swiftly 'debunked.'

So...... how many of you have had precognitive experiences? I ask because I feel like this sort of thing has been happening to me lately, almost every day. It is almost always something nonsignificant, but it still weirds me out as I have no idea whether to classify it as 'just coincidence.' Lately it's been happening with baseball scores. I don't have a tv so I listen to the MLB games on the radio. If the game is already in progress, sometimes I 'feel' what the score will be, and it's usually right. Not such a big deal on its own, but the other day I had a 'feeling' that the first batter of the game for the other team would hit a home run, and he did. I also thought that the away team would hit a home run in the 9th and rally, and they did. I've had a few more 'coincidences' happen in the past couple weeks. It feels kind of weird/silly that most of my not-so-great 'psychic' moments have to do with baseball!

Now, I am not claiming to be psychic. But I am wondering, if coincidences are totally random events only given meaning by non-rational thinking, what are the odds of them increasing in frequency?

I also used to work at a restaurant. Often, when running a customer's credit card, I would try to guess their first name before looking at their card or receipt. This almost never worked when I outright guessed, but sometimes I would get a feeling or an image of a name in my mind, and it would be correct. Oddly enough this happened most when a man was named James. Ok, common enough. Once it happened with a woman named Priscilla. Not a common name, and she was eating by herself, so there was no one around to say her name out loud.

Coincidences? Precognitive moments? Thoughts? I would love to hear your own experiences.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I definitely know I haven't...sometimes I think I've "been through this before" or having deja-vu and always wondered if I dreamt about it...

I do believe in it though...maybe not mainstream on the TV, but I do think there are people who can...maybe people who have "unlocked" more of their brain power

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I do believe it, although I'm not to keen about the type showcased in movies like Minority Report. There have even been studies done more or less proving that precognition exist, even if only across short time spans; say a few seconds or minutes. I think it's more along the lines of an innate feeling as opposed to a strong forced visual.

Personally I've had a few experiences where I already knew something was going to happen and when it did I just thought to myself: deja vu? Precognition? Whatever you call it, it's a pervasive enigma that should be studied more, because it raises alot of questions/answers.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I believe there must be something to it. When I was 11 or 12, I was sitting on floor watching my brother play a video game, then in the blink of an eye it was as if I was sitting on a plane. I could see everything almost clear as day and could hear people talking to each other( although I couldn't make out what they were saying, was kind of like a room full of people all quietly talking). This went on for a few seconds, then we hit turbulence or something and the plane started going down. I could literally turn my head and see people starting to panic, as well as hear people screaming. Then as quickly as it started, it ended and I was back watching my brother play.

That was one of the strangest things I've ever experienced, and unfortunately being that young I never thought to look into it. Never had anything like it since either. So I have to say I'm a believer.

Rhodin

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
He's a precognitive experience for you OP...
I lived in a small college town for about 4 months after I removed my self from the University, only to stay the remainder of my lease, Anyway, I had a girlfriend for about 3 years & unfortunately we made plans to attend the same college together (clearly not a good idea)...After about 2-3 months of being apart, I was headed down stairs to get some cigs & blunts at the gas station below (the apartments were ontop of the gas station). As I was making my way down the stairwell I had a very strong "gut feeling" that I would see my ex for the first time in months & when i opened up the gas station door, BOOM there she was exiting the gas station. Now, thats only the first time this has happened. A couple of weeks later I was doing to same routine, cigs & blunts. This time I was walking from around back the gas station instead of the front. Again, as I approached the front of the buildling I got that same feeling again and as I turned the corner of the building, there she was standing there smoking a cig. Now, I don't know if i got this feeling because from 2 people being together so long you are just kind of "connected" in some sense.
This isn't the only time I've had precognitive experiences, I experience them quite frequently, along with precognitive dreams and Deja Vu. I like to consider myself having a heightened sense of intuition.

-5TFD

*Edit to Add:

Feel free to ask me to exlpain any other precognitive experiences, I'd be happy to share.
edit on 7-9-2011 by 5thousandfathomsdeep because: Edit to Add

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Replikant

Not really in a way that I could use it but sometimes a picture will appear and the thing will happen so quickly afterward exactly as is. It seems to suggest and wake me up that something there is connected and not so much to tell me "I can predict the future" but to snap to and pay attention. The precognition experience seems to want to teach a larger lesson than what I think of as "future sight" or any enlightenment toward the future.

the precognition is the most basic, first and obvious supernatural part of the experience. I think there is more to these things than human talent or capacity but they happen for a reason that falls in line with a larger, more cosmic intellect and logic more than the smaller purposed, individual convenience of precognition.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I have had these gut feelings right before something terrible or traumatic is about to happen, usually I get the feeling the day/hours before the incident. The one experience that stands out the most to me is the feeling I got the day before my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer (which was also the same day the twin towers were struck).

I was still in high school at the time, we were reading "Of Mice and Men" but my mind was on a totally different page. I felt sad for all the families that lost loved ones earlier that morning in the attack, but then suddenly i had this nervous feeling i couldn't shake. I began to tap my fingers on my desk as my hands trembled, then the phone rang in the class room. My teacher told me to head to the office and that my family was waiting for me. once i heard the news about my grandmother my world came to a stop as did the nervous feeling. my life hasnt been the same since that day, and now when i get that awful feeling i choose not to leave the house.

on a brighter note..i have been known to predict a song or two on the radio before they come on and ive had a few incidents where i know the phone is going to ring before it actually does.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
My only precognition which i believe in 100% now is the ability to "predict" a possible car accident or danger.

When i was younger, i got the sudden feeling of wanting to throw up out of nowhere and when it finally reached a maximum nauseous point (without throwing up) we crashed. It was a bad car crash but i made it out ok. Now at 29 yrs old, if im going down the freeway and i start sensing that feeling coming on, i know something is about to happen. Either a car comes speeding up and almost hits us or maybe a truck suddenly breaks out of nowhere. Stuff like that. Then as soon as the danger passes, i'm back to feeling myself again. It never fails. Every single time.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I believe it to a certain extent... I've had minor ones in dreams (dont know if that's still considered precognitive), and I can tell from the feelings of the dream, if they're going to happen in real life or not.... I don't know if I'm making sense, but the dreams that I have that are more "clear" "feels real" and I wake up with the overwhelming feelings (usually can't shake them off until mid-day), it usually happens. I seem to have more "precog." dreams when it's more violent...

(sorry so short... about to go to class... almost to 20 posts! have a very interesting story to tell when I start my first thread! yayyy!)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I don’t know if this relates, but today while sitting at the bank a car pulled up. I thought the person in the car was my friend “joe”.. When I looked again, I realized it wasn’t, while he did look a lot like him. But sure enough (still looking out the window) here comes my friend Joe walking into the bank from the other direction…

Poster Below Reminded me of another time. I was driving home from work, and I had Just gotten a bonus at work, and I was thinking about what I was going to do with it.. when all of a sudden I thought "Well, When you get pulled over later you can pay your ticket with it".... I dont know why I thought it, but sure enough I got pulled over for running a red light. (It wasnt red, but there was no one around to proove it so i went with it)
edit on 7/9/2011 by Britx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
One night I dreamed I was stopped by a cop pretty close to work. I saw the blue lights on the cop car. The next day I drove to work and took an odd way in that I normally do not travel. I was stopped by a cop about a mile from work. I drove around a guy stopped to make a left turn and apparently, I was not supposed to do that. I told the cop about my dream and he was more freaked out than I was. I did not get cited, fortunately.

From then on if I ever dream of a cop car I'm VERY CAREFUL the next couple of days, not that it happens often, but just sayin'.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This happens to me often, but usually the little things, just knowing the short term. Now the long term from my perspective we will see, but some crappy things are on the horizon if what I see is correct.

Now to my wife, she is right on if you can read her statements in the morning correctly, some are symbolic as hell. The first was, she came to me and sadly told me, "our 40 sailboat was sinking and it was wrecked. But we were ok, as we were standing by it and was very sad". Huh, one does not stand on water when his boat is going down. But three months later, hurricane Charlie hit, lifting the boat, turning it over and impaling it on posts one hundred feet away. We did in fact stand beside it on our canal in sadness as it was plucked from the water with a crane.

The second less than a year later, she told me that her family was fighting something like quicksand that was drawing them down, and there was a horse in the middle of the group. Then her cousin was killed on a horse and truly, it pulled the family down. The quick sand symbolic of difficulty.

Now that you know what sand means I will move on to one we are waiting for. She called to me one morning a year ago and told me she had another of those dreams and was disturbed. In this one she was holding a large man whom was crying as everything stopped, nothing worked. She told me it had something to do with the sun, spots on the sun, it stopped everything. She also told me, we were up to our waist in sand but we got out and would be ok. Meaning going through great difficulty but continuing. This started me on my research into this subject which she knows little of.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I always get it....
Its like a thundering thought or word that comes into my mind clearer than anything else at that moment. Or a dream...vivid.
I always get the thought of cops, or police, just before I drive past a cop hiding and taking radar!
Most telling, I was wrapping presents one christmas and I heard my daughters name loud in my head out of nowhere and a feeling of doom. I raced up and began looking for her, and I found her in a very dangerous completely unexpected situation!
I have had dreams that have come true...,many with witnesses because I tell my dreams to my loved ones after I have telling ones. Several have come true within a day.
I woke up from a dream I cannot remember saying omg the space shuttle blew up. My ex woke and we turned on the TV and sure enough news was trickling in that columbia was though to have broken up over texas.
I also saw and predicted the death of someone...that came true within weeks. He just had this odd look, like a skeleton for just a flash....I turned to my friend and said "whats wrong with (blank)?!" She said nothing...I said "look at him, he looks like death" She said "he looks fine to me"
He found out the next week he had cancer and he died 3 days after surgery to try and remove it. Spooked the hell out of my friend.
Its not controllable and I am not a "psychic"
I don't know how to do "it" on command or anything. It happens to me frequently but randomly.
There are many other moments....but these are my most remarkable and most with backup or witness.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Htrowklis82 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2011 by Htrowklis82 because: spelling

edit on 7-9-2011 by Htrowklis82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
To those who shared their stories...do any of you see a sequence of numbers at certain times of the day? for example..right after I started feeling these gut feelings i began too see 444 everywhere.

not sure what causes it..i dont dwell on the numbers or anything..it just pops up from time to time.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Genophage

I don't think I notice sequences or the like anymore than others do, I don't think. Although premonitions are not a very common thing with me.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Wow, thanks for everyone who has shared their experiences so far! Very interesting. I particularly liked the one about the poster running into their ex-girlfriend, it made me wonder since it was mentioned that he was smoking blunts before both occasions. I wonder if something like marijuana actually enhances precognition, extra-sensory perception, that sort of thing? Hmm.

@Genophage, yes, I used to see 11:11 ALL the time, it has not happened for awhile but it happened today, I know this is a common number sequence that others have reported seeing too, wonder what it means?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I tend to avoid numbers as much as possible. The only number coincidence have ever encountered was right after my house caught on fire, my husband went to purchase a new computer, and the total for the computer was the digits of my house number.
But like I said I hate Numbers the literally make my head hurt just looking at them!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Yeah, I believe.

Several. It is weird, on the one hand I believe, but on the other I have no real faith in my own intuition(other then when it hijacks me).

Three incidents stick out in my mind.

The first I was traveling on Route 93 and all of a sudden it was like time stopped and everything went black. I seen almost like a video being played in my mind of a State Police SUV/Ranger automobile sitting in the middle of the cement medium area. Then it zoomed up to where I could see his face. He smiled and pointed at me.

I snapped/phased to reality, light turned green and after a slight bend/lowering of the road I seen the State Police auto and sure enough the sirens went off and I knew it was for me(inspection was out). And it was the officer I seen.

The second time I was giving my sister a ride back to her house, had to go up a steep mountain on a foggy night. For some reason I felt compelled to get in the passing lane, and sure enough I ended up passing a full grown deer that was just standing still in the right hand lane(fog was really bad).

Thirdly when I was attending the local community college up near Wilksbarre I was driving along Interstate 81(they where doing massive construction on 81S so no cops watching 81 N hehe 115MPH!) North. No cars around me at all. Well as I got to the part in the road that drops to 55 MPH(three lane, sharp bend) I got a strong compulsion to get in the middle lane. And sure enough after I went around the bend there was a shredded mack truck tire just laying in the middle of the third, far left lane I just moved out of.

It is like sometimes I do stuff for no reason that I can identify in the moment I am doing it, but soon after the reason appears and it is like TYVM God ! Me wuv you very much, type thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I have had several of these experiences and created a thread on it last year:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

These still occur on a weekly basis.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I've had precognitive dreams....normally about somewhat mundane events...
I find them irritating and frustrating since I'll already "into" the event when I'll
realize I had dreamt it, and after 2-3 events preceding just as in the dream
I started wondering what was the point if I couldn't change the TINIEST thing
or even know WHEN it was going to happen!!

And there's the strong "gut" feelings...just a feeling of absolute certainty, a "knowing"
without the slightest trace of doubt (I'm constanly doubting and double-guessing
myself so the "knowing" is a very clear difference!! ) I've drunk 1 and a half bottles
of brake fluid to prevent my partner from doing something stupid. I'm in the medical
field so knew what that SHOULD have done to me but I "KNEW" I'd be fine and this
would definitely distract my boyfriend! That was one of the more interesting times but
I've had many....
edit on 9/8/2011 by SmokeyDawn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join