It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists' Contest and Reunion. Sign Up!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Mods, would you please allow one sentence posts for this thread? You'll see why if you read through this. Thanks!

This is a contest for atheists and a potential reunion (or not.) Now, there are a few atheists who do not discount an afterlife, but I think it is fair to say that most atheists who adhere to a rationalist point of view believe that everything can be explained in physical terms, including consciousness. Steven Pinker and Richard Dawkins are unabashedly in this camp, along with many others.

To these folks, when you're dead there is nothingness. It's deeper than a deep sleep. You're done. Cognition ceases. There is no "there" there. It's all over and, really, who cares? And certainly there is no heaven nor hell, no god, no angels, none of this silly after life stuff. It's absurd and no thinking person can possibly believe it.

But what if you 'wake up dead'? Really. Suddenly you see your own body lying there dead and you're standing right there wondering why no one can hear you. You 'head toward the light,' see people who you know are already dead, and experience all those NDE things we've all read about for years. It's not a dream. You are really dead, yet here you are. Cognition has not ceased. Further, you're not going back. No one can claim you weren't really dead when you were under the weather, the victim of some death hormone that gave you visions. Your earthly body is headed toward the funeral hime and it won't be long before it's a box of ashes sitting on the mantle awaiting disposal once your relatives get around to it.

Now, the contest is this: All you have to do is sign up for the reunion to take place after you are dead. Since you think this is impossible, you are most likely to "win," though you won't know it because you really will be dead, as in dead dead: No cognition. If you "lose" and wind up at the reunion, well, your consolation prize is that you are still "alive" in some sense. Cognition continues. Surely that is worth a little bit of humility.

Then we can all stand around and wonder how it was that we screwed up so badly and what this really means. That part should be REALLY fun, particularly if anyone from our mythology shows up with a grin on their face!

Sign up by saying so. That's all you need, really. I think that is enough to set things in motion. It will be a few years, hopefully, and since "time" is likely an artificial construct, we can all meet together, no matter when we, umm, "depart." the details will be taken care of. Don't worry about time and place.

So c'mon. Sign up! If you win, nobody knows. If you lose, all you have to do is explain yourself. Such a deal! What do you have to lose?

See you there--or not.

BYOB.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm not an atheist but I have a question... If you turned out to be wrong what makes you think that you are correct in assuming that you will have the free will or even opportunity to assemble a reunion after you wake up dead? Perhaps the "mythology" that appears on the scene will not be very accommodating in response to your unbelief?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Atheism is nothing more than an anti religion.

I don't believe in all things religious. I hate being labeled an atheist. Because I'm not. I don't need a title. I'm a human being who believes in common sense. Nothing more.

Atheism is still a religion. Many atheists make non believes look bad due to the crap they cause with their anti religious propaganda and some of it being borderline hate speech.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
it is fair to say that most atheists who adhere to a rationalist point of view believe that everything can be explained in physical terms, including consciousness.

...adhere to a rationalist point of view?...
...ya know what that really means?... it means i'm right and you're wrong - and - even though neither of us have any proof, my lack of proof is superior to your lack of proof and thats that...

Steven Pinker and Richard Dawkins are unabashedly in this camp, along with many others.

...pinker is closer to tolerable but only if he's got a bag over his head...
...i'd sooner eat worms than hang out with dawkins - who is indicative of many atheists nowadays who are rebelling against their religious upbringing but havent broken free of their warped programming which makes them turn atheism into something its not - a religion with a dogma that tries to make us all the same...

So c'mon. Sign up! If you win, nobody knows. If you lose, all you have to do is explain yourself. Such a deal! What do you have to lose?

...if i "wake up dead"
and can go hang out with whomever i choose, it aint gonna be anyone from ats - unless my next victim great love is an ats-er (but i'm so dang crabby, picky, worn-out that the odds of that happening are somewhere between slim and none, lol)...

See you there--or not. BYOB.

...dang, you throw a party and the attenders have to bring their own booze?... cheap, cheap, cheap - i can identify...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Bon soir, Blaise. J'ai pensé que vous étiez mort... pah.

Sign me up. I take it the management will provide transport to and from the venue?

top topics

join