It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts' tracks, trash seen in new moon photos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) — A spacecraft circling the moon has snapped the sharpest photos ever of the tracks and trash left behind by Apollo astronauts in their visits from 1969 to 1972. Images taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter from 13 to 15 miles up show the astronauts' paths when they walked on the moon, as well as ruts left by a moon buggy. Experts could even identify the backpacks astronauts pitched out of their lunar landers before they returned to Earth.

REUTERS - NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) image released on September 6, 2011 shows the Apollo 17 site on the moon, where the tracks laid down by the lunar rover are clearly visible, along with the last foot trails left on the moon. The images also show where the astronauts placed some of the scientific instruments that provided the first insight into the moon's environment and interior. LRO captured the sharpest images ever taken from space of the Apollo 12, 14 and 17 landing sites. Images show the twists and turns of the paths made when the astronauts explored the lunar surface

Yahoo News

The simple proof we have known possible to acquire but for some reason ignored. If we can peer millions of light years into deep space and pick out individual galaxies at the edges of the universe, why can't we get a picture of the surface of our nearest celestial neighbor?

Alas, we now have that picture. There for all to see are the remnants and traces of man's visit to the moon. Will this be enough to quell the MOON HOAX theories? I think it should. No doubt there will be accusations of Photosop fakage. Being proficient with PS I believe the pictures to be authentic, no obvious indicators of manipulation I can find.

But other questions still remain. For instance, why are they still releasing black and white photos and not color? Wait a few days and I'm sure Richard Hoagland will have a slew of comments regarding these pics.

edit on 7-9-2011 by GuyverUnit I because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
D= does this mean the moon landings were not hoaxes?!

^sarcasm. I never once thought they were. I wonder what creative lies the debunkers will make up about this. "It was photoshopped!!"

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
American trash is somebody elses problem I guess.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I for one will be eating crow for dinner !

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

edit on 7-9-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
How can trash be on the surface of the moon? Does the moon have less gravity than earth or more gravity? Are we talking about potato chip bags or large equipment?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Does anybody else find it strange that they're releasing these photo's now? Why haven't we seen them before? This is suspicious considering all of the moon hoax talk lately.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
How can trash be on the surface of the moon? Does the moon have less gravity than earth or more gravity? Are we talking about potato chip bags or large equipment?

The Moon Government defaulted on their trash bill so they're stuck with it until service can be reestablished.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire

The Moon Government defaulted on their trash bill so they're stuck with it until service can be reestablished.

Well there you go, Obama's new job stimulus: pick up trash on the moon. Spacesuit ready jobs

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

As Space is allegedly in a vacuum there shouldn't be any said trash on the surface,

Never A Straight Answer are full of shills, they know damn well what's really out there and have a moral duty to inform the masses because it is the hard working American who has paid with their collective taxes for this select bunch to go out there and look,

A complete dereliction of duty, remember all these Gov Agency's lying all the time will need to be rounded up and put in FEMA Camps when TSHTF

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I saw this article today in the UK tabloid newspaper The Sun. I really couldnt make out what was what. But,how will this change how people feel about the moon hoax?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I

[But other questions still remain. For instance, why are they still releasing black and white photos and not color? Wait a few days and I'm sure Richard Hoagland will have a slew of comments regarding these pics.

Sorry still believe moon was a hoax, but I'm 4 weeks into my first semester of school and am taking an Astronomy class, so not too knowledgeable about pictures... But the colored pictures I've seen take pics of the radiation and gases and such.... So since the moon has none of these, there's no reason to take x-ray pics (whatever they're called)... And the moon is white... So why would it matter if you used a "color" camera and a "black and white" one...

My 2 cents
edit on 7-9-2011 by TaintedVisions because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2011 by TaintedVisions because: forgot some words

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enlightenme1111
Does anybody else find it strange that they're releasing these photo's now? Why haven't we seen them before? This is suspicious considering all of the moon hoax talk lately.

It's not strange. The LRO sent back 192 terabytes of data. That's a lot to analyze, and I'm surprised these photos were released so soon! It's not like this thing can just take pictures and have them posted to a website.
And there hasn't been an increase in moon hoax talk lately. The debate has been going on for years and years. If this were a coverup, why wouldn't NASA have doctored photos years ago? Why now? It's not a hoax or a coverup. The moon landings happened, and this is proof.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kushin

As Space is allegedly in a vacuum there shouldn't be any said trash on the surface,

Then that would mean that anyone landing on the moon, or any lunar landers wouldn't be able to stay on the moon, right? Then how'd they do it? The moon still has gravity, you know..

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
The simple proof we have known possible to acquire but for some reason ignored. If we can peer millions of light years into deep space and pick out individual galaxies at the edges of the universe, why can't we get a picture of the surface of our nearest celestial neighbor?

Galaxies are several arcseconds wide as seen from earth, a good fraction of an arcsecond at least in the case of very distant galaxies like the hubble deep field. The equipment left on the moon, however, is far smaller than the limiting angular resolution of any telescope on earth. It is impossible to resolve. If it were floating free against the blackness of space you could at least see it as a point-like light source, but it's not, it's sitting on the moon so the only way to see it is to resolve it which is impossible except for LRO because LRO is orbiting the moon closely.

For instance, why are they still releasing black and white photos and not color?

You get far better scientific data out of a monochromatic CCD. That way you can use custom filters for any specific wavelength of light you want and change them out at will. You also get much better resolution with a monochrome CCD than an identical "one-shot color" CCD using a bayer or similar mask. One-shot color cameras are generally only put on space probes for PR purposes, and then only if there is room and power left over to accommodate it. The best astronomical CCDs out there are all monochromatic, this isn't unusual, in fact it should be expected.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake

Originally posted by kushin

Then that would mean that anyone landing on the moon, or any lunar landers wouldn't be able to stay on the moon, right? Then how'd they do it? The moon still has gravity, you know..

The "alleged" vacuum must suck the trash off -- like a vacuum cleaner.
edit on 7-9-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enlightenme1111

That was the first thing I thought. Then I viewed the pics. The second thing I thought was "these are better? How."

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire

Yeah, wait til Domino's gets there. Pizza boxes galore.

Actually, it's sad and irresponsible for people in power to carry out their grand schemes with no accompanying plan to deal with the refuse. Disrespectful.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I predict that the same people who see buildings and bases in blurry images of moon rocks will see nothing in these images and will still believe that we never made it there. The conspiracy addicts will see a conspiracy. I am beginning to wonder whose eyes are really open and who's being blinded by their gullibility.
edit on 7-9-2011 by hammanderr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hammanderr
I predict that the same people who see buildings and bases in blurry images of moon rocks will see nothing in these images and will still believe that we never made it there. The conspiracy addicts will see a conspiracy. I am beginning to wonder whose eyes are really open and who's being blinded by their gullibility.
edit on 7-9-2011 by hammanderr because: (no reason given)

Photoshop -- you can tell by the pixels.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join