It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dirty Dozen & The Clean Fifteen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Before i start off i'd like to thank THIS THREAD:www.abovetopsecret.com...
I started looking around the internets involivng the food going into my belly (I've already been an avid organic eater) but this helps put more perspective on things, now to the point.

So it seems that the Enviromental Working Group(EWG) has done a study on 53 fruits and vegetables for pesticides that actually stayed in the fruit/vegetable. The study isn't actually about health if you read strictly in the lines but when you read something like this, you kind of feel as though eating less pesticides would be healthy, in pesticide consumption.

If you choose 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day from EWG's Clean 15 rather than the Dirty Dozen, you can lower the volume of pesticide you consume daily by 92 percent, according to EWG calculations. You'll also eat fewer types of pesticides. Picking 5 servings of fruits and vegetables from the 12 most contaminated would cause you to consume an average of 14 different pesticides a day. If you choose 5 servings from the 15 least contaminated fruits and vegetables, you'll consume fewer than 2 pesticides per day.

With that being said the main point of the article was the "Dirty dozen" which is the top 12 most contaminated foods. Would anyone want to guess which fruit (hint) would be the most contaminated? I actually already knew this one before i saw it

Yup, apples. They are so damn high maintenance. So to begin, here's the "Dirty dozen"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3672f00a7322.png[/atsimg]
The reason they say buy these in organic is because at the very least you'll reduce the pesticide intake. But since fruits like apples take sooo much care when it comes to actually cultivating people load on pesticides organic or not and its just overall not too good.
Now the least pesticidal (Not just the most healthy) vegetables and fruits. Hurray for avacados!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/100fb714412f.png[/atsimg]
There you have it. These lists are from the top to bottom rankings of pesticides in fruits and vegetables out of 53 tested. Now for the fun part, LINKS! ._.

Initial link (With the dirty dozen and clean fifteen)
www.ewg.org...
Full list (All 53)
www.ewg.org...
And the home page of EWG
www.ewg.org...

new topics

join