It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Plan to Keep Small Force in Iraq After Deadline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Plan Would Keep Small Force in Iraq Past Deadline

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta is supporting a plan that would keep 3,000 to 4,000 American troops in Iraq after a deadline for their withdrawal at year’s end, but only to continue training security forces there, a senior military official said on Tuesday.

The recommendation would break a longstanding pledge by President Obama to withdraw all American forces from Iraq by the deadline. But it would still involve significantly fewer forces than proposals presented at the Pentagon in recent weeks by the senior American commander in Iraq, Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III, to keep as many as 14,000 to 18,000 troops there.

It hasn't been accepted yet by the President, but I don't expect him to turn it down. He's made the promise of leaving Iraq completely, but I have zero faith in that promise based on his willingness to continue the perpetual wars that sitting presidents of the last 50 years can't seem to stay out of. I do hope he keeps this promise, though. It would be a bright spot in this dismal 3 years.

It also reflected the tension between Mr. Obama’s promise to bring all American forces home and the widely held view among commanders that Iraq is not yet able to provide for its own security.

Mr. Obama, it's time to kick the chicks out of the nest. They'll either plummet to the ground or fly on their own. But they are their own people. Let them live their own lives.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Mr. Obama, it's time to kick the chicks out of the nest. They'll either plummet to the ground or fly on their own. But they are their own people. Let them live their own lives.

Exactly, why we are still messing around in Iraq is beyond me. Our job is done there and in Afghanistan. We need to bring the boys back home and end these costly wars.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Bad move....but what do expect from this former community organizer.

Iraq is our only stronghold in this area. After WW2 we stayed and kept a major presence in Germany for over 50 years. What makes Iraq so special?

The way things are going, Iran will takeover Iraq within 10 years, then it will be up to another Republican president to do something about it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
"troops" are different than: private "contractors"; embassy "staff"; Even if they pull out ALL"troops" we still have built the largest embassy compound in the world. We will be applying U.S.govt influence for our lifetimes."We broke it we bought it"

edit on 7-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
So when are you adding an extra star on the flag to account for now controlling Iraq?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Even if the troops leave Iraq our involvement and hands will be ever so bloody through this "wave" that was set forth by Evil itself.

Obama has yet to fulfill a single pledge in an honest and true sense, I see this pledge as no different and I highly doubt the troops will be gone from that Country, instead I see a reversal of that and more troops moving into the Middle East than ever before!

It is after all, Biblical and the False Prophet has a ton of lies to fulfill before the Mahdi arrives! "Yes we Can!", "Yes we Can!", "Yes we Can".

At least Obama knows how to say "thank you" to his handler!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It is time, and past time, to stop the perpetual wars. The world is tired and it needs a rest. Not to mention the fact that America is broken. We have people living on the streets on whatever scraps they can find, and our president chooses to spend billions killing the citizens of sovereign nations. This wasn't started by him, and no sane person can refute that, but he hasn't done one thing to stop it.

Sure, he pulled most of the troops out of Iraq. But he didn't pull them out of war. He just reshuffled the deck and played his hand in some other Middle Eastern country. The war corporation is big business and Obama is the CEO.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

join