It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Trust or Not To Trust

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Trust is huge.

If you're like me, you grew up learning that you can't trust anyone but yourself.

You surrounded yourself with the wrong crowd of people that could care less about your well-being and your aspirations. Your "friends" would usually be the first people to take advantage of you for their own benefit. You weren't blind to this behavior, so you learned how to combat it and with that, you took on the idea of distrust in order to defend yourself from any future betrayal.

By deciding to be untrusting, you could always be on alert for threats, and you would have at your disposal the mental tools necessary for dealing with any threat.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

But this is not a good thing.

First of all, you're hanging around the wrong crowd, and therefore you are becoming just as 'wrong' as they are, especially at the point where you lose trust in everyone.

There are groups of people out there that you could associate yourself with that you would never have to be on alert again, but reintegrating yourself with benevolent society can sometimes be difficult.

If you decide not to trust anyone, you will never be able to learn from them. You will be so arrogant to think that they have nothing to offer, and you will distance yourself from them to your own destruction.

By not trusting people, you cut off the possibility of an establishment of a loving relationship with them, and you will dwell in feelings of hatred, resentment, and negativity in situations where there should be none.

You put up an impenetrable wall around you that light cannot shine through. Everyone you come in contact with, whether consciously or unconsciously, you will consider them less than you.

Some problems with adopting a distrusting persona are:

1. You won't be able to learn from anyone
2. You won't be able to love anyone.
3. You won't be able to experience the beauty of life.
4. You will dwell in negativity of your own making.
5. You will lose any real friends.
6. You will become an outcast of society.

A moment of introspection could reveal that at the root of any problem you have, there is a sense of distrust. If you consider the effect of trust or distrust on social situations, you will find that despite being betrayed in the past by less than honorable people, it would be beneficial to your own progress if you would trust without cause.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
i would say that you have answered your question quite good

trust till you get betrayed at least ONCE and then you decide if you are to give a 2nd chance to the betrayer or not...

i personally trust till i get betrayed the 3rd time... i am so naive that i do not learn from my first and second mistakes :/

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmilNomel
i would say that you have answered your question quite good

trust till you get betrayed at least ONCE and then you decide if you are to give a 2nd chance to the betrayer or not...

i personally trust till i get betrayed the 3rd time... i am so naive that i do not learn from my first and second mistakes :/

The point is, if you are being betrayed, then don't sacrifice your own morality. Move on to a group of friends that wouldn't betray you. Its better to move on to new friends than to stop trusting people altogether.
edit on 7-9-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well thats a very nice post, but if you stay neutral to people you don't know very well, you can save yourself a lot of trouble and you won't live in fear of anything if you ask me.

Oh, and my personal motto is: he who steals the egg steals the camel. So if you see a trait in someone, like lets say, hurting another human being, you need to realize, they have the ability to hurt you down the road.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Something from my previous trust thread

Trusted you with the lives of our families
Trusted that you really cared for the
Trusted you would protect and serve
Trusted you would calm the nerves
Trusted when entered it would count
Realized its a lie but how
Can machines decide destiny
Guess they can for you and the
Now no no no recounting
Just fake fake fake rebounding
Trusted you would send them to search -WMDs-
In reality families only got hurt
Hate from west hate from east
How the Fk are we gonna find peace
Sit be quiet is how it seems
Where oh where that AMERICAN DREAM
Of freedom and Truth in all we believe
Yet the world seems to us deceived
Country no matter! agenda the same
Act like we count but treat us like lame
Observed observed from high above
That really really, they gots no love
Trust you you ask, trust you for real
when intelligence get observed intelligence gets killed
No, no trust only in the Stars
since it seems even we lied to about MARs
Protect protect all the unworthy
Only because THEY GOT MORE MONEY
LOL LOL IS ALL 1 CAN DO
For its clear now whats really the truth
Time + time + time again
same old game played to END
EVOL is evol and seeks no power
It recognizes who rules brings fire like showers
Venus Shower, shower rain indeed
Bring decomposition and pain YET RESEED
Reseed reseed maybe try again
After so many times IT MIGHT BE THE END
Lesson should be learned and souls enhanced
Some are really READY TO ADVANCE
Others are evol and borrow like bugs
And plan to leave ALL unrich stuck above
Truth the TRUTH is this really LOVE
I really dont think so DO YOU ABOVE?
Questiones to ask, I know so many
Guess the truth must be shown above Great city
Trust trust is all we ask lie to in the present-future and past.

JUST some thoughts feel free to add.
Do they really want trust OR WANT THE TO BEG?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It would be nice to be able to trust w/o cause but here there has been so much deception its hard for many to. 1 tends to place trust in percentage levels CREATOR & GOD get 100% and 99% since the CREATOR CREATED them known as GODS who interacted with original 3d human dna.... But them known as GODS did play in the development of 1 in materialized 3d which 1 will not deny so trust in them 1 does somewhat.

I know I know many will think how can he trust them but it is what it is.

edit on 9/7/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I trust, trust and trust....I just can't stop trusting

I have tried to be untrusting of people especially the ones that let me down....but....I just can't!

Its the design I have and i'm willing to let everyone I've ever trusted make mistakes......their own mistakes

No big deal to be let down really as I have come to accept this in life

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by nusnus
Oh, and my personal motto is: he who steals the egg steals the camel. So if you see a trait in someone, like lets say, hurting another human being, you need to realize, they have the ability to hurt you down the road.

That's a very good motto. When I see someone steal something, even something small, I know that they don't have any moral obligation to keep them from stealing something large. When I see someone talk about a friend behind their back, I know they probably talk about me behind my back. Those are the people that I just stay away from.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

That's a very good motto. When I see someone steal something, even something small, I know that they don't have any moral obligation to keep them from stealing something large. When I see someone talk about a friend behind their back, I know they probably talk about me behind my back. Those are the people that I just stay away from.

are you people pretending to be saints?
are you saying that you have never stolen anything??
are you saying that you have never sinned???
are you saying that the one who once killed an ant tomorrow will kill a human?

if the answer is "yes"... then you should stay away from yourselves!

i TRUST that you understand me very well...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

are you people pretending to be saints?
are you saying that you have never stolen anything??
are you saying that you have never sinned???
are you saying that the one who once killed an ant tomorrow will kill a human?

if the answer is "yes"... then you should stay away from yourselves!

i TRUST that you understand me very well...

I'm really just saying if someone steals something small, nothing is stopping them from stealing something big. I'm also saying that if a friend of yours talks about a friend of his/hers behind their back, then they will talk about you behind yours as well.

I no no one is perfect, its just a matter of what imperfections you are willing to accept. If they habitually do things that, if done to you, would betray your trust, and hurt your trust, for me, it would be better to just not hang out with them.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I'm really just saying if someone steals something small, nothing is stopping them from stealing something big. I'm also saying that if a friend of yours talks about a friend of his/hers behind their back, then they will talk about you behind yours as well.

I no no one is perfect, its just a matter of what imperfections you are willing to accept. If they habitually do things that, if done to you, would betray your trust, and hurt your trust, for me, it would be better to just not hang out with them.

ok then, so why not just "educate" them... i.e. to the person that you see stealing something "small" tell him/her that it is wrong to steal no matter if it's something small or big... to the person that you see talking behind someone's back, just explain that it's the wrong thing to do etc... instead of just remaining quiet and thinking to yourself that they are not trustworthy and you should stay away from them, just be a friend and a mentor to them... show them the WAY to be their better selves... and once they truly learn from you, then they will be more than TRUSTWORTHY to you and to others!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I'm really just saying if someone steals something small, nothing is stopping them from stealing something big.

you can stop them!

I'm also saying that if a friend of yours talks about a friend of his/hers behind their back, then they will talk about you behind yours as well.

so what???

if there is nothing bad to be said about you... then there is only good things to be said about you behind your back!

i love it when people talk behind my back! because there is nothing bad but only good things that they could say about me

it would be best if you try and gain their trust by mentoring them to the right ways of trust and all...
that's all i'm trying to say here!

i TRUST that you see where i'm coming from...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

ok then, so why not just "educate" them... i.e. to the person that you see stealing something "small" tell him/her that it is wrong to steal no matter if it's something small or big... to the person that you see talking behind someone's back, just explain that it's the wrong thing to do etc... instead of just remaining quiet and thinking to yourself that they are not trustworthy and you should stay away from them, just be a friend and a mentor to them... show them the WAY to be their better selves... and once they truly learn from you, then they will be more than TRUSTWORTHY to you and to others!

Its hard to do when you are the one getting betrayed. Now you are the one who's hurt, and you saw it coming. You could have avoided it, but you foolishly thought, "he/she would never do that to me". In the back of your mind, you knew he/she would.

Then it happens. All the education in the world isn't going to save you from people who don't want to be saved. And when you get betrayed, then you have problems trusting even the trustworthy. Its not worth it. If you are a friend to someone who isn't friendly, its only going to get bad for you.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I'm also saying that if a friend of yours talks about a friend of his/hers behind their back, then they will talk about you behind yours as well.

so what???

if there is nothing bad to be said about you... then there is only good things to be said about you behind your back!

People see you in their own way. If there's nothing bad to be said about you in your opinion, because you like who you are, doesn't mean other people don't have something to say about you and they like who you are.

it would be best if you try and gain their trust by mentoring them to the right ways of trust and all...
that's all i'm trying to say here!

i TRUST that you see where i'm coming from...

Not everyone wants to learn.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

the true and bigger point of all this is: CAN YOU TRUST YOURSELF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

as in: can you trust yourself to trust others... but, most importantly.... can you trust YOU yourself at all?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

as in: can you trust yourself to trust others... but, most importantly.... can you trust YOU yourself at all?

OR

Can you trust yourself enough to know who you should be hanging around and who you shouldn't be hanging around?...

Can you trust your own discernment.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Look you can't make day to day interactions turn into philosophy. Philosophy is meant for life in general, not day to day details that need further advice. No ones an angel obviously, but one has to realize there are people with habits that kill and there are people with habits that give headaches
I usually stay away from the former. Not because I want to avoid getting hurt, but because I don't want to associate with people who's habits are terrible and I also don't want to repeat their mistakes....bad habits are like contagious diseases see.
edit on 7-9-2011 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Look you can't make day to day interactions turn into philosophy. Philosophy is meant for life in general, not day to day details that need further advice. No ones an angel obviously, but one has to realize there are people with habits that kill and there are people with habits that give headaches
I usually stay away from the former. Not because I want to avoid getting hurt, but because I don't want to associate with people who's habits are terrible and I also don't want to repeat their mistakes....bad habits are like contagious diseases see.
edit on 7-9-2011 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

that is no answer to my questions at all!
i'll put it as plain and simple for you as i can:

("in a day to day interactions") CAN YOU TRUST YOURSELF?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

i'll put it as plain and simple for you as i can:

("in a day to day interactions") CAN YOU TRUST YOURSELF?

This is an appropriate and important question.

Trusting yourself is required if you are to trust others.

Honestly, its actually kind of hard to know whether or not I trust myself. I think I do.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I really hope this isn't seen as political trolling, because I don't mean it that way. But I've never trusted any Presidential candidate, they ---reliably--- let you down ---every time--- they assume the Oval Office. But this time, for some reason, I have trust toward Ron Paul. It is the very first time I trust a (prospective, so far though) Presidential Candidate.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
I really hope this isn't seen as political trolling, because I don't mean it that way. But I've never trusted any Presidential candidate, they ---reliably--- let you down ---every time--- they assume the Oval Office. But this time, for some reason, I have trust toward Ron Paul. It is the very first time I trust a (prospective, so far though) Presidential Candidate.

this is very interesting thought...
because, when it comes to politics, the bigger and more appropriate question here would be: "can you trust the puppeteer(s)?" unless you are the master puppeteer, or one of them... in which case, the question will still remain "can you trust yourself?"
i do trust that the puppet will move and act as the puppeteer directs it to move and act... or it will end up as John F. Kennedy!
you ever thought of it this way?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join