It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even 5-year-olds prone to strokes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
LONDON: In a startling finding , a new research has shown that children as young as five years are now having strokes in the US and blamed unhealthy lifestyles as the main reason behind the trend.

The stroke rate among five to 44-year-olds has gone up by about a third in the past 10 years, found the researchers at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The researchers, who analysed hospital data of millions of patients between 1995 and 2008, also found that high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity were common in stroke patients, the BBC reported . During this period, the rate of ischemic stroke, which is caused due to blood clots, was found to have gone up by 31% in five to 14-yearolds , from 3.2 strokes per 10,000 hospital cases to 4.2 per 10,000. While, the increase was 30% in people aged 15 to 34 years, it was 37% in patients between the ages of 35 and 44, the researchers found.

More than half of 35 to 44-year-olds who had an ischemic stroke also had hypertension , they said. "Urgent public health initiatives are needed to reverse trends in modifiable risk factors associated with stroke in adolescents and young adults," they concluded. Dr Lorna Layward , from the Stroke Association in the UK, said: "People usually associate strokes with older people, but a quarter of all strokes happen to people of working age, and around 400 children have a stroke every year in the UK.

Link
Is junk food Child Abuse

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

And I bet it is due to all the vaccines being pushed on kids these days.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

My wife is a neurologist. She just treated a 6 year old girl who had a stroke. I'm not sure if the stroke was due to an unhealthy lifestyle but I wouldn't doubt it.

Since we moved to the South, it seems that most of her patients live a very unhealthy lifestyle. Many eat garbage food and get little to no exercise. I wonder though how much of it is ignorance and how much is related to their socio-economic status. I really don't think many can afford good food or have time to exercise.

It is a very sad state of affairs and too many are stuck in this lifestyle.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

I think it is all the processed foods and the chemicals that are in these foods....that are making people ill. When I go grocery shopping....I head straight for the produce section and load up....my protein sources are organic too. I eat brown rice instead of white rice...and whole wheat pasta.

When I am at the checkout stand...I look in people carts....and many are loading up on white bread, processed luncheon meats. soda, chips....cookies....candy...a lot of frozen meals etc. and I think to myself....either these people are addicted to this awful food and/or they don't care and/or nobody has taught them about good nutrition.

new topics

top topics

join