It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Welfare is not the problem.

Jobs and education is the problem.

Attacking symptoms from the illness will not cure anything.
edit on 7-9-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

Everything is going according to plan.

They know what their doing and perhaps, Michigan may be a test case scenario.

If crime and violence skyrocket, as well as riots, they can expand the police state even more.

Just as the housing debacle was all pre-planned and spoken of in a Bilderburg meeting in late 2007, in order to bankrupt the nation for what lies ahead.

Things are not going wrong at all, everything is on track.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I like how the one guy on the first page was all "Four years is long enough to get an associates, bachelors etc and find work."

Really? i'm working on MY bachelors in Web/Graphic design and animation.
My cousin is a CPA.
My other cousin is something to do with Engineering.
Got a few other friends who got their Bachelors and so on.
NO one can find work in their careers. All had to take min wage fast food or department store jobs on part time hours because NO one is hiring.

So then, you take those poor people on aide, give them a 83,000 dollar debt they have to start repaying in 6 months after graduation and making 8 dollars an hour under 30 hours a week, how do they pay that off, keep their home, put food on their tables? People don't stop to think about the little crap which adds up. I'm going to be in the same situation. I finally got a job after 10 months being unemployed. Been on food stamps, looked HARD for work. I finally have a job.

Minimum wage, all they can afford to give me is 17 hours a week. This is to pay my 300/mth rent, raise my teenage son, feed us, pay bills and, once I graduate and LOLeconomy, won't BE no work in my field as no one can afford graphic/web design due to the economy, I get to try and pay all my stuff PLUS a student loan bill on 103/week take home after taxes. LOOOOOL.

life sucks. And it's going to get worse for those poor people (Im not talking the abusers of the system, mind you. I'm talking people like myself who fell into bad luck, has no degree save the bachelors I'm working towards, and no hope in the immediate or post immediate future. So we're to starve, become homeless and die because the loleconomy can't hire.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Sorry for the rant. Just some people make it sound SO easy "Just work anywhere." "Get trained in college".
what of those who can't GET loans or grants? Just forget them and here's a magazine you can tear up to make a blanket and there's your dumpster home?

NOT the abusers of the system but those hard workers who fell into hard times shouldn't suffer. Please don't judge the whole by some. That irks me more than the abusers of. I was talking to a man today, worked as a coach in a college for 25 solid years. Got laid off 17 months ago. has a masters degree. Can't get hired anywhere for # and they went from 80k a year to 'omg we're going to lose our home and everything soon'.

Hard working American's also try to utilize the help and hope that aid gives. And for most of us non abusers, it is HARD to get on it. Hard because of pride. Of self respect. Do you know how embarassing it is to pull that link card out to pay for food when you used to bring home 500 every two weeks????? I miss those days. I want them back. But nope. My bachelors degree working self has to make due with 103 a week take home because that's all i found after 10 months seeking work.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

I live in Michigan....my actual workplace is in the downtown of a major city in Michigan (not detroit). I can just see my workplace being set ablaze because people were pushed too far.

I really hope that doesn't happen. I can tell you one thing, this isn't going to create any jobs whatsoever.

Snyder most likely will be gone when his term is up...if he's not recalled before then. he's been doing some radical things in this state.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
In order to put a limit on welfare; jobs need to be brought back. The outsourced jobs need to come back and stricter laws on illegal aliens. You can't just rip things away from people without a security net. They need to have more programs to help people get off benefits. I get different benefits myself(I am on disablity); but my case worker is a hands off type who never helps me really. I have asked if there is some sort of program to get me acculmated to a job that would work with my disablities. I never get an answer. I went into voc rehab and because I am not a criminal or drug addict they don't want to help me. There are not enough programs at least in my state to implement a rule like this!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Must add on, I'm SO SO SO grateful to be working. Even if it /is/ only 17 hours a week. It beats zero hours a week. And GOD WILLING I'll get more hours in time by proving my worth. I got my foodstamp amount dropped by 150 dollars because hey, I'm /working/. I'm not unemployed and I want to be able to support my family. As I get more hours, I'll drop even more and HOPEFULLY will be off them fully in say two months. I hope so. Other families need it who aren't working and aren't abusers.

If only all had my mind set who are utilizing aid. Then it wouldn't be such a black mark on society. I had to be begged to drop my pride and get on them. Son and I ate saltines for literally a few weeks as it was all we had but my pride and how much people hate those ON aid kept me from getting them. Oh you should have seen me the first few times I bought food with the card. Even now I try to hide it but........ you have to eat .I'm just SO grateful to have work finally. After working since 89, I feel like someone NEEDED me and WANTED me. AFter being turned down for jobs over and over and over for 10 months, you take another pride hit. I just wanted off the stamps. I still do. It's why I have them adjust them based on how much I'm bringing in. /I/ want to feed my son and myself. They were a god send but it's way over for me. I still am semi reliant on them however til I get more hours, God willing.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

This saddens me. It's true with more people than folks realize. The good people who are clean and want to make it can't get help because they're not a druggie or something.

How backwards IS that? I'm SO sorry you're going through this. You don't deserve it.
Try to keep thinking positive though. You have to. Else it will just bring you down. *hugs you*

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Sadly is not going to be any meaningful jobs, the 300 billion dollars for the new "stimulus" only propose jobs in the infrastructure, they are temp jobs.

We lost our industrial base is now oversea is not coming back.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What they really need to do is spilt up all the full time jobs into part time jobs. This way one job now becomes 2. Then raise the minuim wage to like $12 per hour and have free health care. This way people still work and have enough time to enjoy life.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
america............wth u doing noob?

too little too late...the ship is sinking.

jump off and save urself if u can.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

A lot of the jobs that were outsourced were call center jobs, supervisor jobs and tech support. These type of jobs in america would pay $10-$20+ per hour. These are the type of jobs that really need to come back.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Only problem with that is the businesses aren't getting enough customers to afford to give full time. If you chop full into half and pay the employees more, they'll get maybe 3 hours a week because... customers are what pays the overhead of all business. If your overhead is 1000/mth for 5 employees paychecks, 1000/mth for bills, 1000/mth for supplies that you sell (Food, paper, w/e it is) and 1000/mth for rent of the building, that's 8000/mth the owner needs just to meet even. That's no profit for him. So if they get 7000 that month from customers, someone's getting their hours cut and prices are going up to meet those bills, inventory, pay, etc. see?

It's a sad state and not that easy to fix

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Well, my daughter makes that much with two bachelors degree as she could not find work on her field, she still lives with us because she can not afford rent and expenses with what she makes.

Now she is back in school again.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
IMO a bunch of people on welfare that will be cut off will just move to another welfare state.

Until ALL states do this, it will never end.

Or you know, people could just move in a state, get on welfare for 4 years... then move to another state... take welfare for 4 years, etc...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Did she return to school to keep from having to start making loan repayments you have to do 6 months after graduating? I too may have to do that because I can't afford to pay back my 68,000 loan when I graduate. No way. If I have to take 20 more years of college and have 14 bachelors degrees, it's going to suck but....... heh. College til I die. then I guess the loans don't have to be repaid.

I'm talking silly but it's almost the danged sick truth of it all.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
reply to post by Realtruth

bob, just come clean, I can tell the guilt is killing you

There is very little guilt, or accountability in our society that is the point. You make jest and people may think it's funny, but there is nothing funny about this in Michigan, or elsewhere. Hopefully these people will someday grow a conscience.

I understand things may be hard for people and they need temporary assistance, but making a career out of scamming hard working tax payers is BS.

Although I don't agree with everything that Gov. Snyder is doing on this Limit, because there are too many loopholes, but he is taking a step in the right direction.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I don't have a problem with this if we are discussing folks on full government assistance, although just how many americans are there on full government assistance? Welfare incorporates medicare, medicaid, subsudized education, food stramps. Not every welfare receiver is unemployed or not working. Welfare in general incorporates 35% of the budget. If you remove those folks over 65, those on disability, those working single parents in need of assistance, how many folks are you left with really? Me thinks this is all show and little change.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well it DOES say they want to keep it for the elderly, those who have kids and who are literally unable to work. so those of strong mind and body will be the ones to be taken off it.

I just feel bad cuz Michigan's employment rate is ridiculous. If there were jobs left and right, no problem. But it's like what? 1 job per 5000 people?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I have applied over and over again for better jobs. The sad truth of the matter is employers can be picky due to a huge pool of workers to chose from. Even with a Master's in psychology I am just one of many. Employers look more for who would fit their hours then what experience or type of education a person had. I have seen jobs in my feild where you only need an assoicates degree.
I am thinking of getting a second degree in adult education; it seems many people now due to the internet are going back to school. I started getting letters from my loan companies the day I graduated. It is scary to think that going to school will be easier than getting a better job at this point. I don't care if I rack up $100,000 in loans if I would have bought a house I would have had more debt than that anyways. I figure due to the fraud alert on my credit I may never own a home so I might as well keep going back to school to help me make it. I do use the excess loan money to live on. I have applied to many online colleges to teach online courses and I am hoping that I will be hired if not before the six months are over I will be going back to college.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
IMO a bunch of people on welfare that will be cut off will just move to another welfare state.

Until ALL states do this, it will never end.

Or you know, people could just move in a state, get on welfare for 4 years... then move to another state... take welfare for 4 years, etc...

V,

This is a great point and is exactly what will happen with the first states to implement cuts to social services

We will see a reduction in those people that collect, not because they don't collect anymore, but because they will move to another state that allows it.

The last states to implement cuts like this will be saddled with a large number of people that collect welfare.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

We help her pay for her college education, pay for all her expenses (room aboard) plus she had grands that lasted for 4 years, on her 5 year she took a loan, because she wanted to have a dual degree, and that is the only loan she had after graduation it was under 10 thousand dollars.

She worked full time for two years, now she is in college again and yes she had to take student loans now to pay for her school and she still works part time, pay for her car, insurance ( we paid for that when she was in college, the first time around), and her personal expenses, she lives at home for free.

She will have a few loans to pay after she finish college again. thankfully her new career is in demand, (graduate nurse).

edit on 7-9-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join