It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The extinction of humanity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I have often pondered on this subject, especially late at night. What will cause humanity to draw its final breath? Will it be by our own hand? Natural disaster? Plague? Will we be hunted to extinction by another species? Or, will we just fade into the twilight like so many other species before us?

Perhaps we are set to evolve, remaining basically human, but somehow enhanced.

Let's assume that the human race is set for extinction. Who or what will replace us? Will it be a technologically superior species? Will a spiritually enlighten race dominate the earth after we have gone? Perhaps all traces of technology will be erased from the planet and the landscape will revert to that of the time when dinosaurs or giant mammals roamed.

As I say, I often think about this issue during the quite hours of the night. I would appreciate it if the members of ATS would share their thoughts and ideas please.

Kindest Regards

The Lone Archer

edit on 7/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

I think if we go extinct, the dolphins will take over. A few thousands years from now, they are probably space-dolphins, inventing nukes and whatnot. Eventually they too will go extinct, since they willl nuke each other just like us.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcherI have often pondered on this subject, especially late at night. What will cause humanity to draw its final breath?

Time.

What would replace us?...

If you're wondering what will end up controlling the larger portions of the Earth's land areas, that will likely end up being wolves.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It mainly depends on how we go extinct.
Some ways will allow nothing or almost nothing making earth just a barren rock.

If we nuke each other out, we will end up nuking most of life on earth, which leaves very few species which may be able to take over, intelligent cockroaches anyone?

If it ends up being something like rouge nanomachines or creation of a big enough and stable enough black hole, will leave basically nothing.

If its an alien invasion then well you get the idea.

But personally I think there is the highest chance of us becoming some sort of interconnected post human, robotic and flesh mixture (borg?) before becoming fully robotic.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Interesting, I read your OP and this come to mind.

We are a lost tribe from another planet. Brought here to do manual labor, and we basically adapted to the environment, and some dna manipulation.

They taught us the art of building complex megalithic structures, and suddenly they left and promise to come back whenever we are faced with an extinction level event. Divine intervention, that is.

With that in mind, I believe we will not go extinct as a race. They won't let it happen.

And somewhere in there lies the truth...

Peace
edit on 7-9-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I think if we were ever to extinct it would be because of our own foolishness. We are a brutal race that believes in war and nukes and dangerous experiments.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Humanity is in the process of going from a type 0 civilization to a type 1 planetary civilization. The transition from type 0 to type 1 is the most dangerous and critical time for a civilization to endure, and there is no guarantee we will survive the change. Michio kaku explains the dangers we face, and the potential rewards if we can survive the transition, in this short talk.

There is also an excelent book by The Astronomer Royal Martin rees, 'Our Final Century' in which he discusses how the 21st century may be our last, and the various ways in which it could all end, its a very well written and thought provoking book. You can pick up a copy on amazon for around £8, well worth it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Good info there. Thank you. I think this guy is awsome. He often thinks outside the box.

Starred.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
In my opinion humans are already in multiples of star systems. We are a space faring species that has forgotten its more advanced technology due to war, famine, and catastrophe. We will never go extinct. Its probable that some species we no longer have like dinosaurs exist somewhere on another planet in another solar system. Soon we will be in space colonizing, and this will help insure we never go extinct.

new topics

top topics

join