It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where has empathy gone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
There was a time when people cared about the suffering of others.

Now a lot of people just do not care. And this is an attitude that endangers humanity.

Humanity is one entity - as long as we are divided, we will not survive. And as long as we do not care about others, we will not survive.

People are more stupid than a lot of animals apparently.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

There was a time when people cared about the suffering of others.

some still do, humanity isn't entirely made up of selfish a-holes.

Now a lot of people just do not care. And this is an attitude that endangers humanity.

so true

Humanity is one entity - as long as we are divided, we will not survive. And as long as we do not care about others, we will not survive.

agreed, that's why i've been saying over and over.
classism is the real issue.

labeling everything and everyone.

People are more stupid than a lot of animals apparently.

nope.

animals just don't have a monetary system

that's why they get along better.
edit on 7-9-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
More stupid or stupider .Divided from the start ,still going strong .

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Thanks for your replies.

And, yes, it is true - humanity hates humanity and fights wars all the time.

This is why we are doomed.

And while it is true that some people still care for others, we are doomed, because we wage wars - um - WHY?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

because we've got a monetary system

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Is it a lack of empathy or is it that we have been bombarded by the likes of starving children in Africa for so long and seen little change that we have become apathetic. The same images we see on tv now are the the grown children of those we seen twenty years ago. Nothing changes because it is designed not to be changed only perpetual. It is designed to wear you down to the point where you no longer care, any action you take is pointless so why bother at all?
edit on 7-9-2011 by quackers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

hi quack,

I believe that we have to keep trying.

We have to help each other.

It is tough.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Try to what? Make the world a better place? I remember a song about that and fat lot good that did. Some might call myself and people with my attitude defeatists or point to a lack of empathy but we are actually just realists. In a perfect world our actions might have made some difference, if even a small one, but this is far from a perfect world.
edit on 7-9-2011 by quackers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It's utterly heartbreaking to see the pure cruelty/apathy that our modern society can produce.
People who will watch others suffering, and do one of two things:
- Won't lift a finger to help, even if begged to do so.
- Stand and laugh, enjoying the pain of others.

Probably why it feels so good to hear the stories of truly good, amazing people who step in and do something about it, who are willing to go that extra mile and do something extraordinary to try and make things better.
But when it's "amazing" or "a remarkable event" when people stand up and help out people under attack/in pain, it just doesn't feel right.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Leg1on

Yes, Leg,

You are so right.

But I have been having a think about why this world is so hard and why people and animals are the way they are.

And I have come to the conclusion (which I have always known but tried to deny) that humans will always hate and kill each other. And, obviously animals kill each other but I don't think animals experience hatred.

Thank Jesus that a lot of people love and support others.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Well I am sorry to say it will always be like that.

I just personally do my own part to help those I come in contact with through life.

I take to heart the parable of the Good Samaritan that Jesus spoke about.

That is how I live my life and always have.

But then again,I never thought for a moment the world was going to be like this when I got old.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I think it has a lot to do with the 1-2 punch of being constantly distracted, and having many of those distractions encourage selfishness.

For example, there was one commercial for some cell phone service and it showed this guy freaking out because he couldn't see the end of a basketball game. So this woman in a pink dress offers him her new phone. The next part's important: he throws his old phone to the ground and SNATCHES her phone from her, never even so much as making eye-contact. She just smiles and says, "I thought you'd like that". Even my 11-year old son pointed out that it was very rude.

We're constantly bombarded with these kinds of messages, that basically say "embrace your inner selfishness and you will be rewarded".

But I think it's important to point out that, for all of this "programming", there are many who don't fall for it. Lots of people are hard-wired to do the right thing, choose love over hate, think of others before themselves, etc. We just don't hear about them nearly as much.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I like your attitude. Not everybody will, but that's ok. The truth is that we help out more than we think we do. Someone may be uplifted by your post, but not respond and so you will never know it. Just think! You may have just helped restore a little bit of hope in someone's life.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepixelgarden
I think it has a lot to do with the 1-2 punch of being constantly distracted, and having many of those distractions encourage selfishness.

I think you comment is spot on.

Someone famous (forget who) once said, if we advertised "goodness" on the same scale as the Nazi propaganda machine, the whole world would be a better place to live. Maybe one day. Right now it's cool to be mean and unthinking people just tag along.

new topics

top topics

join