It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we born survivalists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
First off forgive me for the crappy title, i've just done a nightshift and my imagination is at a all time low.
Anyway, i few years ago i came across a description of character based around what starsign you are. Can't remember the woman's name but she wrote it in the 60's. Not just short general sentences but full on pages and pages on each starsign.
Reading this was like reading an autobiography on myself. It had everything, right down to little things i'd noticed in myself over the years but don't feel the need to bring up.
The one bit that has stuck with me was something along the lines of.

The Male Cancerian likes to hoard things. He really has to go against the grain to throw anything useful out. Even if you can't see it. You will find a box under his bed or in the attic full of things he feels he will need in an emergency.

Now it got me thinking, how many of us (who class themselves as survivalists, complete with BOB and thirst for bushcraft skill) fall within this starsign. This is probably gonna go tits up and not work but it's good for a laugh.
So who falls within the Cancer Starsign and do you horde?
edit on 7/9/2011 by ShiftyMedi because: Spelling

edit on 7/9/2011 by ShiftyMedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ShiftyMedi

I am "cancerian" too, and I have boxes with emergency stuff in the attic. Wow, never took by serious the zodiac.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I am a Cancer so I will attempt to explain a bit about myself. I never really thought I hoarded, but it is true that I don't like to throw out things like broken electronics, or really anything that I feel I can use to piece something together with in the future.

I will also keep stuff that I think I may be interested in at a later time. I don't know if this is just me, or a trait of other Cancers, but I have many different interests and hobbies, and it seems like I practice these hobbies in shifts. For instance, I will sit down and learn new mathematics or something similar, or I will play a lot of chess, or read a lot, or paint, or play music, etc, and it seems that I will stick to one of these for a week or so, then move onto something else, losing all interest in the previous subject, but I know the interest will return, and I think that is why I like to keep things. Did I explain that well enough for everyone to understand it? I hope so.

I have always wondered if that had anything to do with my starsign, because like you, I have found them to be quite accurate, but a part of me is still skeptical. I am not sure I thoroughly understand what you mean about the survivalist thing, but it does seem that many people find starsigns to reflect their habits and emotional traits to a high degree.

I can't wait to see what others have to say on this topic. I am glad you made this thread, and am lucky that I am a cancer as well. So thanks.

Edit to Add:
I see now. You were referring to survival, which makes sense by your title, lol. I personally do not keep survival supplies ready to go, although I have things that I would take in a situation like this. Sometimes though, and I thought this was weird about myself, I will pack up a backpack with supplies and go out into the woods on my grandparents' property, and just be by myself. It does seem like I am always afraid I will forget something. I always seem to pack a lot of stuff, some of it I never even use, but I take it just in case. So I guess I do actually do what you were talking about. Weird.
edit on 9/7/11 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I don't know if I am a "born" survivalist but I have been trained for desert survival since before I could walk. My father told us growing up that his number-one job was to make sure we could survive no matter what, and each year I go into the deep desert alone for a week with no tent. It is a testament to my dad's skills as a survivalist and a teacher that I've been able to do this without any difficulty alone for a number of years!

I think desert survivalism and other forms of survivalism are a little different; in a forest you have so many forms of life, it is bewildering but you need "different eyes to see the desert." Ultimately it is about knowing the desert, her rhythms and cycles, and integrating yourself into the ecosystem rather than fighting it. Desert survival is very detail-oriented; there are a much smaller number of variables but they take on intense important. The laser-like focus on a small number of variables in a remote environment breeds a very interesting mindset; let me just say that it is no surprise to me that the monotheistic religions come out of the desert.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I am a Pisces, so I don't think my star sign has much to do with it. Although my star sign may have something to do with how I look at objects and think of creative ways I could use them in a SHTF senerio.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
The reality of the world is the story of the ant and the grasshopper.

Some are born ants. They know what they do and they know why they do it. The colony is strong because each and gathers in food all season long to feed themselves and the next generation.

Some are born grasshoppers. They flit about all season and do grasshopper things. They may "wake up" and try to be an ant and that works for a little while but off they go distracted with grasshopper things and forget waking up.

Nature made it this way, because the seasons change.

And when winter comes the ants have a very tiny hole for a doorway and the grasshopper cant get in. Who knows they might have struck up a bargain if the grasshopper worked his season bringing back food.....

But our story is the real world and it has a dirty little secret.

When the grasshopper comes to the tiny hole and cant get in and he knows all the food is deep inside and he can smell it.....the soldier ants rush out and cut him to tiny bits with their mandibles.

In the end the grasshopper gets through the tiny hole and gets to the food................ stacked in with the rest of it in tiny pieces.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
The reality of the world is the story of the ant and the grasshopper.

Some are born ants. They know what they do and they know why they do it. The colony is strong because each and gathers in food all season long to feed themselves and the next generation.

Some are born grasshoppers. They flit about all season and do grasshopper things. They may "wake up" and try to be an ant and that works for a little while but off they go distracted with grasshopper things and forget waking up.

Nature made it this way, because the seasons change.

And when winter comes the ants have a very tiny hole for a doorway and the grasshopper cant get in. Who knows they might have struck up a bargain if the grasshopper worked his season bringing back food.....

But our story is the real world and it has a dirty little secret.

When the grasshopper comes to the tiny hole and cant get in and he knows all the food is deep inside and he can smell it.....the soldier ants rush out and cut him to tiny bits with their mandibles.

In the end the grasshopper gets through the tiny hole and gets to the food................ stacked in with the rest of it in tiny pieces.

Shadowalker, not sure how that little story applies necessarily but I sure got a kick out of it!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Typical of an Ant brainwashed to work for the colony that they don’t even know the story. The ant gathers the fruits of others labor and then hordes them for his own selfish needs
The Grasshopper although he played all summer he lived a life and asked the Ant for kindness in some versions the Ant agrees but only if the Grass hopper sang for his supper.

Sometimes one Ant is more creative and grasshopper like to teach the other Ants the whole reason for what they are working for it is not the survival of oneself but to be in the service of others in need...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This thread has taken an interesting turn. The ant/grasshopper posts are very good.

Considering different possiblities...I started to imagine one where the Queen Ant deep in the hive and her cronies decided to sell out the larger ant population after the harvest had been taken in so they could accrue more of the ant colony's vast wealth. For their greed knew no bounds. And so they engineered the system so the defenses of the colony were breeched and millions of grasshoppers, transformed in their hunger into ravenous Locusts, swarmed all over the colony, devouring the surprised ants by the tens of thousands and utterly eradicating the colony. When the victorious Locust-Grasshoppers reached the great food storehouses, they discovered them bare, for during the slaughter the elite had quietly looted the wealth and disappeared out the back exit to a safer, secret place...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
This thread has taken an interesting turn. The ant/grasshopper posts are very good.

Considering different possiblities...I started to imagine one where the Queen Ant deep in the hive and her cronies decided to sell out the larger ant population after the harvest had been taken in so they could accrue more of the ant colony's vast wealth. For their greed knew no bounds. And so they engineered the system so the defenses of the colony were breeched and millions of grasshoppers, transformed in their hunger into ravenous Locusts, swarmed all over the colony, devouring the surprised ants by the tens of thousands and utterly eradicating the colony. When the victorious Locust-Grasshoppers reached the great food storehouses, they discovered them bare, for during the slaughter the elite had quietly looted the wealth and disappeared out the back exit to a safer, secret place...

You have quite the imagination Partygirl, I'm getting a kick out of the way this thread has turned also!

Now what is this twist on Aesop's Fables teaching us? Also the way I heard it, t'was actually the crickets that helped the wealthy ants escape.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Ajax because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
are we born surivalists? yes and no

for those poeple who see just how fragile modern society has become what we do has become a necessity

and necessity is the mother of all invention not so much as the things you go buy but re inventing how we think and act and the knowledge we gain.

people are born but their enviornment shapes the individual that really goes back the the nature vs nurture debate.

modern socity dictates no worries be happy the government will come save you and take care of you.

they werent born that way they were raised that was in fact man has taken care of himself for hundreds of thousands of years without someone else.

meh dont know if that makes sense i just woke up

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

for those poeple who see just how fragile modern society has become what we do has become a necessity

and necessity is the mother of all invention not so much as the things you go buy but re inventing how we think and act and the knowledge we gain.

people are born but their enviornment shapes the individual that really goes back the the nature vs nurture debate.

modern socity dictates no worries be happy the government will come save you and take care of you.

they werent born that way they were raised that was in fact man has taken care of himself for hundreds of thousands of years without someone else.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to topic mate. I like your view.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

While I totally agree with all of your sentiments here, the OP specifically called out those born of the Cancer astrological sign.

Let me tell you that I am an Aries, and was born for this! Not only could I survive and always think this way, but I welcome it - and being an Aries, I'd stubbornly proceed through all of it!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

“GET THE FOOD TO THE OFFERING STONE AND INTO THE ANT HILL!!!
THEY COME THEY EAT THEY LEAVE, THEY COME THEY EAT THEY LEAVE,
THEY COME THEY EAT THEY LEAVE…

My favorite movie A bug's Life and the Grasshoppers are not nice...
But I always picture Alien locusts coming and the so-called Elite getting underground in their bunkers (ant hills) while the rest of us are left on the surface (the offering stone).
But if I remember the ants outnumber the grasshoppers 100-1 (sorta like us and the Elite) and they win YAY!!!
I just hope if Aliens do come they do not view the earth as a buffet then the survival skills will be “eat or be eaten” for us! lol

edit on 7-9-2011 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Yes that was offtopic at best. So here are some questions.....

Are all the people on the show Hoarders Buried Alive the same star sign? Nope.

If an entire family preps are they all the same sign? not likely.

My sister and I both prep. the other sister not. the mother did. the father didnt. All of us are different signs.

Sister who preps... Cancer. Me...Taurus.

Cold reading woven into generalizations for modern astrology is always going to have one point or another that sticks for each person.

One step further. Do your think many people at all prepped and kept pantries in the year 1928? Probably few and under religious direction. A few more on their own. In 1940? Most people.

But if we forget the lessons the people before us learned they become ours.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
To your question, "Are We Born Survivalists?" My reply woould be, yes because I believe we are born with survival instincts. I have been taught that since childhood anyway and somehow would hope I wouldn't sit in a bad situation and act all helpless. I'm okay with being thrown in and when it comes down to whether or not I sink or swim, I have swam 99.8 percent of the time.

As far as astrological signs influencing those instincts, I can't say on that one. I mean my ex is Sagitarious and he's the ultimate survivor/hoader....I mean on 911 he drove two and a half hours to come deliver ammo and supplies to me and our two boys and we were divorced but he was serious about that stuff. I mean serious-serious.And to this day I have "stuff" shall we say, that has never been asked to be returned.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
reply to post by Shadowalker

Typical of an Ant brainwashed to work for the colony that they don’t even know the story. The ant gathers the fruits of others labor and then hordes them for his own selfish needs
The Grasshopper although he played all summer he lived a life and asked the Ant for kindness in some versions the Ant agrees but only if the Grass hopper sang for his supper.

Sometimes one Ant is more creative and grasshopper like to teach the other Ants the whole reason for what they are working for it is not the survival of oneself but to be in the service of others in need...

Hmm. Well that is another way to look at things. A decent ant colony would issue stick vouchers so the grasshoppers could play and live life and then bring their welfare stick back to the mound once a month. Interesting concept.

But then again I already thought the ants were being kind, and doing the right thing, by putting the grasshopper out of his misery and not letting him suffer through starvation.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I definitely have a different take on life than most people around me. I live in south Florida where an abundance of fruits and other edible plants grow year-round, and I find it hard to spend money on food. I constantly eat cactus pears, wild grapes, coconuts, mangoes, starfruit, citrus, etc, etc, etc. And for me it seems that at least half the thrill, if not more, is in the hunt.

I grew up with a small mango farm and always had mangoes during season in summer, so I may be a bit biased towards my beliefs. Whether aquired or pre-disposed, I'm passionate about my beliefs that we should all focus at least a few hours a day towards growing what we need locally.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'm glad some people can stay on topic. Seems I've been hijacked by bloody ants and grasshoppers.
I'd love to see a survey done on survivalists and their starsigns out of curiosity.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Fine I will play along I am Pisces and I am a survivalist and think there is something bad on the horizon. My wife is a Taurus and happy to help but doesn’t not see any danger at all.

top topics

join