It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi tells Dems to stop saying "Stimulus"!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
In keeping with the liberal tradition of changing the latest words that turn our stomach, Nancy Pelosi has ordered House Democrats to stop using the word "Stimulus" when talking about spending money that we don't have as part of their 'jobs' plan. The new, PC phrase shall be “job creation”.

And, instead of reminding people about their failed “Recovery Act” policies, use the noble sounding bromide “Make it in America".

It's just lipstick on the pig, folks.

Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and House Democrats have dropped the word "stimulus" from their vocabulary.

Though the House minority leader and her caucus are still pushing an economic stimulus agenda to save the economy, they’ve radically changed their rhetoric with the hope of winning over voters who saw "stimulus" as close to a dirty word.
:
:
Recognizing the unpopularity of the 2009 package, however, Democratic leaders have revised their message with less loaded language – “job creation” instead of “stimulus” and “Make it in America” in lieu of “Recovery Act” – in hopes of tackling the jobs crisis.

PC talkin'

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

In keeping with the liberal tradition of changing the latest words that turn our stomach,

This was going to be an interesting thread but then I read that word up there, immediately thought extraordinary rendition and gave up.
No party has ownership of slapping a new tag on an old product.
Look at the tea party when I say specifically.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

Well, that's good, because you'd have been derailing the topic. And that's a no-no.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Well, I hate to say it but I agree somehow. I think the right word should be "Incentive".

I don't know why I found the word "Stimulus" kind of erotic and she is too old for that.

b : stimulant 1 c : an agent (as an environmental change) that directly influences the activity of a living organism or one of its parts (as by exciting a sensory organ or evoking muscular contraction or glandular secretion)

www.merriam-webster.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Perhaps you should read the article Confessions of a GOP Operative Who Left "the Cult": 3 Things Everyone Must Know About the Lunatic-Filled Republican Partyto get an idea of what's going on here.

What do the Democrats offer these people? Essentially nothing.

While Democrats temporized...Republicans went to work. To be sure, the business wing of the Republican Party consists of the most energetic outsourcers, wage cutters and hirers of sub-minimum wage immigrant labor to be found anywhere on the globe. But the faux-populist wing of the party, knowing the mental compartmentalization that occurs in most low-information voters, played on the fears of that same white working class to focus their anger on scapegoats that do no damage to corporations' bottom lines: instead of raising the minimum wage, let's build a wall on the Southern border (then hire a defense contractor to incompetently manage it). Instead of predatory bankers, it's evil Muslims. Or evil gays. Or evil abortionists.

How do they manage to do this? Because Democrats ceded the field. Above all, they do not understand language. Their initiatives are posed in impenetrable policy-speak: the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The what? - can anyone even remember it? No wonder the pejorative "Obamacare" won out. Contrast that with the Republicans' Patriot Act. You're a patriot, aren't you? Does anyone at the GED level have a clue what a Stimulus Bill is supposed to be? Why didn't the White House call it the Jobs Bill and keep pounding on that theme?

You know that Social Security and Medicare are in jeopardy when even Democrats refer to them as entitlements. "Entitlement" has a negative sound in colloquial English: somebody who is "entitled" selfishly claims something he doesn't really deserve. Why not call them "earned benefits," which is what they are because we all contribute payroll taxes to fund them? That would never occur to the Democrats. Republicans don't make that mistake; they are relentlessly on message: it is never the "estate tax," it is the "death tax." Heaven forbid that the Walton family should give up one penny of its $86-billion fortune. All of that lucre is necessary to ensure that unions be kept out of Wal-Mart, that women employees not be promoted and that politicians be kept on a short leash.

It's all about framing the argument and the democrats have floundered and failed left and right at this. Obviously, it may be too late because it's now become 'lipstick on a pig.'

It's not the PPACA, it's "Obamacare."
It's not an earned benefit, it's an "entitelment."
It's not the estate tax, it's the "death tax."
It's not progressive taxation, it's "class warfare."

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Whatever you do, Nancy, don't try to actually come up with any workable solutions to our economic problems.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

It's all about spin, which the DNC seem to do poorly at these days. With all the gaffes that the various levels of the Democratic party leadership and High level supporters have been doing lately tells me that they are worried. A lot of what they say just seems to be throwing mud at the wall and hoping some sticks.

They, in my opinion are operating at an emotional level, rather than a rational one. It doesn't look good on them. People see what they are trying to do and aren't buying it anymore.

This will be a interesting 2012.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It's interesting that we come to the same conclusion but for different reasons. I think the DNC is being completely rational and totally failing in their spin whereas the RNC is being completely emotional and totally nailing their spin.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

I think the RNC attempts to think of possible responses prior to stating them. An example is when Alan West said to DWS, "you are no lady." That was un-PC, but not necessarily crass.

Also, somebody must have pulled John Boenhner aside and told him to stop crying all the time.

But the DNC folk seem to get all caught up in the moment and go with the flow, which doesn't always come out as intended.

We all have said things we regret, but most of us own up to them. Politicians seem to be adverse to that and try to deflect the gaffe by rebranding.

I think the DNC just goes with whatever sounds good at the time, rather than looking at the top five ideas, war-gaming them for a bit and picking the best response or course of action.

Winging it works sometimes, but not at the National level when all eyes are upon you 24/7.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
STimulus....Stimulus...Stimulus...Stimulus... Stimulus.... = kiss of death to Pelosi and the Dems. STimulus=Failure

Someone please remind Obama that he still has $125 billion unspent from his last stimulus before he asks for another $300 billion www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nancy Nancy Nancy you so funny. We're onto you and your games....

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Excuse me, but, "Recovery act?", so who in the hell is recovery here, you can not use tax payer dollars to stimulate and recover anything because this is call spending not recovering, you don't need to be a genius to understand that changing the wording of spending doesn't change the fact that is nothing but more debt tag on the tax payer.
edit on 7-9-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

In keeping with the liberal tradition of changing the latest words that turn our stomach, Nancy Pelosi has ordered House Democrats to stop using the word "Stimulus" when talking about spending money that we don't have as part of their 'jobs' plan. The new, PC phrase shall be “job creation”.

How is this any different than the GOP insisting that insanely wealthy fat cats should be called "job creators"? Or how the GOP insisted we call The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act "Obamacare" or that they call estate tax "death tax"?

It's called hegemony and career politicians are the kings (and sometimes queens) of it. Notice that she didn't even attack a term she didn't like, she actually created a positive example of hegemony. She's not even fighting fire with fire; she's fighting fire with a heat pad.

We should call it across the board if we are going to call it at all. Some people seem to ignore it for years then suddenly become alarmed when the other guy does it.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Cuervo because: filed mah teeth

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Stimulus?
How about these for a new name;
Free money?
Obamacare?
Hugs?
Bounty on Tea Party pelts?

I wonder what they'll change "unemployment" to?
Retroactively employed?
Re-un-disemployed?
Obamacare?
Paid lobbyists?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We should change "unemployment " to welfare recovery act.

Because even with a job right now in the nation most people still needs welfare assistance so actually working and receiving welfare is paying for your own welfare.

edit on 7-9-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I thought they had replaced "stimulus" with "investment"?

I guess investment stopped sounding good as soon as the stock market starting tanking again.

Hey, if you can't fix a problem just keep re-naming it so nobody knows it's a sequel.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You can call a jungle a rain forest, but it's still a freaking jungle.

Democrats used to be pros at the name game. But with the emergence of alternative media, and the fair and balanced FOX News, they are having a harder time of it.

Look at the complete failure of the "Fairness Doctrine". Efforts to bring this monstrosity back were quashed when people realize how unfair it was.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

You're right...I shouldn't have used 'liberal'. But it was so much fun! You weren't supposed to notice one word out of many!

edit on 7-9-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join