It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Perry cut Texas firefighting budget by 75% in March and now Texas burns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
reply to post by Maluhia

I found it interesting that 45 (I've even heard 60) new fires were started in a very short period of time during the last week. I have a feeling it's not just smokers throwing cigarette butts away,
, seeing as how FEMA's already got it's boots on the ground.

Peace

edit on 7-9-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

Three times in the last week I've seen small fires burning by the side of the I-30 freeway.
These careless drivers are always flicking their butts out the window and I'm gonna start reporting these bastitches.

But it's the same thing every year, it's just now making national news because Perry is running for Prez.

Come to think of it, I think there are more consistent wild fires in California that occur year after year.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Alxandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

But it's the same thing every year, it's just now making national news because Perry is running for Prez.

That's awesome!! I never thought of that particular line of BS before.

The wildfires are just what happens every year, it's the Liberal Media that is making a big deal about it.

It has the classic Republican hallmarks....deny the truth - blame it on the media.

Just awesome BS!! Maybe you should advise Rick Perry?

As for TEXAS. They will have to contend with reality.

This year’s wildfires have, unfortunately, truly been historic.

Check out this data from the Texas Forest Service, which was compiled BEFORE the outbreak over the weekend:

•Six of the 10 largest wildfires in Texas history occurred in 2011.

•Fires in Texas in 2011: 18,612

•Acres burned in Texas in 2011: 3,486,124

•Texas counties with burn bans: 251 of 254

•Total Aviation Hours: 13,216

•Gallons of water dropped: 20,555,281

That’s not all. Since Nov. 15 more than 3.5 million acres have burned in Texas, breaking the all-time record of 2.1 million acres for the same period set back in 2005-2006.

I take that back. This year’s wildfire season has annihilated the previous records. “Break” isn’t nearly strong enough

blog.chron.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

These careless drivers are always flicking their butts out the window

I'm shocked that people would do that knowing the extent of the drought, must be the same MENSA members who think Perry should be president.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

What unmitigated BS! And as a born and raised Texan, I can garen damn tee ya that it's not "the same thing every year"!!!! This is why it's making National News.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.
edit on 7-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I've been all over Texas with a few prior jobs. As long as Austin does not burn, it's not much of a loss.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Well, they wanted big government out of their lives.

They got it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Earlier in the year Gov. Perry was threatening to withdraw from the union.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

But I'll bet that he doesn't turn away the federal relief money! Stealing my tax dollars.....

[/sarcasm] of course; my heart goes out to those who lost loved ones and their homes due to this catastrophe; many were family and friends of mine around Bastrop.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

And your next assignment will be to gather as much information on the history of California wildfires.

But you're right,
... this is the first major Texas wild fire that really matters, all of a sudden.

I'm just wondering why all the Texas haters from years gone past are suddenly overly concerned for the great state?

Any ideas why?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Clearly this is just liberals with matches trying to embarass Perry!

Talk about egg on your face. Anyhow, let texas burn...really...what are we supposed to do about it, bring in feds with choppers to douse the fires? texas hates the fed and all that liberal water they could pour on the fires...

make the bed...lie in it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Hate to break it to you, but paying for firefighters doesn't prevent fires.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

No, but I'm pretty sure it helps keep them under control. And the more you have, with proper equipment - much smaller chance the fire will spread. Something a firefighter friend of mine told me once.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Well, they wanted big government out of their lives.

And now they're asking FEMA for help - a bit ironic don't ya think.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Oh so now he wants the federal government to step into STATE affairs and give a bunch of federal handouts.

Well, well, well.

I think all of the active tea party members who are crying that the federal government and budget are out of control should stand by their convictions and do their personal part to save America by NOT filing any claims with FEMA. Pull yourselves up by your bootstraps and stop looking for disaster WELFARE. You chose to live in Texas and the rest of the country should not have to pay for your local disasters.

It's so sad that he same "class" of unintelligent poor people who voted Bush in for two terms are now rallying behind the Republicans and TP again. It's the same people who are blaming Obama for the lack of American jobs when Bush felt outsourcing would help the US economy in the long run. Hmm, how is that working out for you?

articles.cnn.com...:US

edit on 8-9-2011 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm sorry, why is it a big deal if FEMA is there? That is, after all, what they were formed to do. So... What is the problem? Why is everyone so surprised they are there? More than that, why would Texas not want them there?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheThirdAdam
reply to post by Maluhia

the only reason that the tx economy is doing well is because of the huge petro refineries that are employing 1000s of construction workers for expansions... when the job is over, we are going to have a bunch of jobless rednecks hanging around

That is exactly what they did in Wyoming. So far they have 2nd worst air pollution in the Nation and as all the natural gas wells they dug 10 yrs ago are playing out- a crapload of 'out of state' newly unemployed who are stuck there now competing for nonexistent jobs with the native Wyoming people.

That's exactly what Texas will be facing in a few years.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This thread is an example of why this site has gone to #.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
I'm sorry, why is it a big deal if FEMA is there? That is, after all, what they were formed to do. So... What is the problem? Why is everyone so surprised they are there? More than that, why would Texas not want them there?

Because Rick Perry wants to cut FEMA's budget to the bone. As Perry put it a couple of years ago- 'States can handle their own emergencies and the Federal Govt. has no reason to have a national emergency operation.'

Perry also wants to cut the NOAA funding to the bone. NOAA tracks storms, drought, hurricanes, tornadoes and...
oh yea- the thing Perry really wants cut- the NOAA tracking of climate change anomalies.

So good luck Texas. Not only will you NOT get federal assistance for your natural disasters - you folks won't even see them coming.
edit on 8-9-2011 by Stratus9 because: error

edit on 8-9-2011 by Stratus9 because: gnomes

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Stratus9[

So he is just an idiot? That really doesn't sound good. Boast about the the economy all you want Texas, we will let you. After it all is said and done, you will realize how horribly wrong you were in your spending cuts decisions. God won't save you now...
edit on 8-9-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Hmmm, let me think.....

A politician who actually slashed spending??!?!? Wow, and thats a bad thing because somehow he must have predicted that there would be horrible fires.

It is a truly a tragic event when nature burns, yet it is a natural course of nature. There would still be fires in this world even if we didnt have a-hole teenagers.

My point is this: we need a man who will cut spending. I say slash all of the govt jobs by 70%.

Of course, I believe we need our life saving govt services, but cut the bureaucratic BS. This country cannot afford to keep paying paper pushers.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte
reply to post by Maluhia

Hate to break it to you, but paying for firefighters doesn't prevent fires.

Enjoying a little linear thought with your cheerios?

I hate to break it to you but the money Perry cut out of the budget was to pay for:

Helicopters to carry water and fire retardants.
Heavy machinery to create fire breaks.
Men to operate them.
Off season Brush Removal to help retard the spread of fire.
Fire trucks with pumpers to get water to outlying areas.
Training of more firefighters.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join