Rick Perry cut Texas firefighting budget by 75% in March and now Texas burns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+10 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Under Gov. Rick Perry (R) this year, Texas slashed state funding for the volunteer fire departments that protect most of the state from wildfires like the ones that have recently destroyed more than 700 homes.

Volunteer departments that were already facing financial strain were slated to have their funding cut from $30 million to $7 million, according to KVUE.

The majority of Texas is protected by volunteer fire departments. There are 879 volunteer fire departments in Texas and only 114 paid fire departments. Another 187 departments are a combination of volunteer and paid.

www.rawstory.com...

Texas has been suffering its worst drought in years. Did Mr. Perry not realize that drought conditions lead to fires?

After enduring nearly a year of drought, Texans have grown accustomed to seeing acres of withered crops, scores of dried-up ponds and mile after mile of cracked earth.

itemonline.com...

According to some reports, the Texas economy is one of the best in the nation -

Now that Gov. Rick Perry is running for president, the Texas economy is in the national spotlight. Although the state has challenges, it's prospering while much of the nation sputters.

www.cbn.com...
So why the need for such drastic cuts?

And now Mr. anti FEMA is looking for a handout -

While the Texas governor has been highly critical of FEMA in the past, he told CBS’ Erica Hill Tuesday that now was not the time to worry about reforming the agency.

“The issue is taking care of these people right now,” Perry insisted. “We can work our way through any conversations about how to make agencies more efficient, how to make Department of Defense equipment, for instance, more available.

There are a lot of issues we can talk about, but the fact of the matter is now is not the time to be trying to work out the details of how to make these agencies more efficient. Let’s get people out of harm’s way.”

Can some sane, smart people please restore my faith in humanity? And then can you run for president?
edit on 7-9-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
rick perry is a sad excuse for a governer by my standards, but the fires going on in tx right now (about an hr away from my home) are being dealt with pretty well considering that the area relies on a vollunteer fire dept.

these are very rural areas and they are mainly just trying to make sure that all who do live nearby get to safety

The drastic cuts are bc the tx constitution says that the state budget has to be ballanced at all times... the 1500 state laws that went into effect on 9/1/11 are a scheme to raise state income so that we can spend more money
edit on 7-9-2011 by TheThirdAdam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Oh heck, lets cut funds to the Texas Forest Service while we're at it to.

From Reuters, May 19 - Texas plans to cut budget of agency battling fires

(Reuters) - Texas lawmakers are set to slash funding for the agency responsible for fighting wildfires in the midst of a historic wildfire season in which some 2.5 million acres have burned.

The Texas Forest Service faces almost $34 million in budget cuts over the next two years, roughly a third of the agency's total budget. The cuts are in both the House and Senate versions of the proposed state budget.

Volunteers -- two of whom were killed in fighting this year's fires -- make up nearly 80 percent of the state's fire-fighting force and are first responders to roughly 90 percent of wildfires in Texas.

That the perfect way to deal with stuff like this!

edit on 7-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)
edit on 7-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheThirdAdam

yep the people who really care will do whatever to help their neighbors. These are the guys we need in charge.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

oh, i'm not disagreeing with you, its [snip] stupid the he handles things...

thats why i referred to the new laws passed here... why anyone who is opposed to big government would vote for this guy is beyond me.

i think the only upside to his winning in 2012 would be to get obama out of washington and perry out of austin
edit on 7/9/11 by masqua because: Edited censor circumvention

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

And yet they keep telling us the Texas economy is great. Awesome post!

The politicians keep fiddling (or playing golf) while the states burn.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

the only reason that the tx economy is doing well is because of the huge petro refineries that are employing 1000s of construction workers for expansions... when the job is over, we are going to have a bunch of jobless rednecks hanging around

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Rick Perry prays for rain and God sets his state on fire.

Something to think about.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I justed posted on the "Fires break out across Texas" thread

Yeah, Perry sucks.
Blows my mind how Perry can so easily convince the masses that he is a conservative. As Governor he has the power to use National Guard to secure the border and never has. He left Ramos and Campeon to rot in prison without a word, presided over the largest tax increases in Texas history and attempted the largest government land grab in Texas history, but... Texas "conservative" talk show hosts are having a love fest over him.

I'm in an evac area and one thing I did not see was aerial assets being used to fight the fire.

As far as the volunteer fire depts...

I don't trust them to save my house so I stuck around to do everything I can to avoid having to rely on them.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Damn, the little quote about the two Texan volunteer fire fighters dying is tough to swallow, those guys died doing some incredibly honorable and selfless.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Come on what are you people, a bunch of Comm'nists? Sheesh. Everyone knows the Efficient Market™ can handle all problems. So if your house is burning down, why not simply summon a private firefighter? If they can't get to your house in time and it burns down, the Efficient Market™ will punish them, so of course there is incentive to be more on the ball then ever. And if you can't hack it in the negotiations, haggling on your smouldering lawn for nickles and dimes while your world goes up in smoke behind you, then you aren't a good entrepreneur and you get what you deserve!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
One of those fires was literally right behind our property. I was listening to the scanners and frequently checking online news sources to see what I could find out. It was very scary, and I am extremely lucky that my family and house were spared.

There was a huge grass fire a couple of months ago in a small town near where I live, and just a couple of days ago they had another in the same area, and it was sad that so many people that I know lost everything they had. What I find ridiculous is that they didn't ban barbecue pits, because I know at least one fire started that way.

It has been so many months since it has rained where I live, and everything is so much drier than usual, even for Texas. It is crazy. The ground is even cracking in places where I live. I just stepped outside a few minutes ago, and it is actually COOL. A nice breeze, and a nice change for the summer. Too bad there is no rain though.

I read that there were over 60 fires in the state when I was looking for information about my local fire, which is just insane. The wind that day was also blowing up to 60 miles per hour, and was a headwind to where I live, which surprised me given that the fire went the opposite direction. I urge everyone from the state to donate whatever they can to the organizations that are accepting donations to pass out to the victims. I have been doing this myself as well as urging my family to do the same.

As for Rick Perry, I do not personally know anyone that cares too much for him. Especially after the whole slashing of the public education funding, which was a joke. This is just another one of his screwups, and I hope and pray that he never wins another election, even if he was only running for school board president of some 1A school district.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Also consider this:
What was the crime for which Perry put an innocent man to death? Arson
en.wikipedia.org...
Maybe there really is a god, and he has a sense of humor?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Post of The Year.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
Rick Perry cut Texas firefighting budget by 75% in March and now Texas burns

I suppose we're supposed to believe that legislation causes fires.
The budget was set before there was a fire risk or a drought.

Okay let's get to the bottom of this silly talking point memo. Texas is not burning. I just flew back in to Dallas yesterday and from 30,000 feet I couldn't see a single fire burning. Yes there are several large fires but the entire state is not on fire like we're being told in these talking points memos.

Secondly the budget to the Texas Forest Service 2 year budget was set at $75 million and previously it was $109 million because they guessed at what they needed before there were any fires. Now that there are fires they've increased the funds available considerably. This year alone they've received an additional $121 million and they're going to probably get another $61.5 million this fall. That brings their budget up to $257 million. That's an increase of $182 million dollars or an increase of about 242% in their budget.

This entire talking points memo is a total fail. The real story is they set a budget based on what they knew and when the fires started popping up they threw in a lot more money. Only in politics does an increase of over 200% result in a headline of how much the budget was slashed.
edit on 9/7/2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
have any of you been hearing this?
www.npr.org...

that puts a whole new spin on this ,for me anyway
,I predict there will be new legislation in Texas soon probably to outsource firefighting to a( lucrative gov contract) for 3 times the price,a state agency would cost! oh and all the waste and fraud that goes with it of course!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

The real story is they set a budget based on what they knew and when the fires started popping up they threw in a lot more money.

Ok so now that the problem is out of control, they are throwing money at it. But, the drought in Texas has been going on since at least last fall, and they cut the budget knowing this.

State funding for volunteer fire departments is taking a big hit. It is going from $30 million to $7 million. Those departments are already facing financial strains

Brilliant!
www.kvue.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

I found it interesting that 45 (I've even heard 60) new fires were started in a very short period of time during the last week. I have a feeling it's not just smokers throwing cigarette butts away,
, seeing as how FEMA's already got it's boots on the ground.

Peace

edit on 7-9-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I read a recent story where a volunteer fireman was arrested for setting a few of these fires.

Sometimes the human psyche just boggles...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Can some sane, smart people please restore my faith in humanity? And then can you run for president?

No sadly. And again No (I have problems beating rocks in intelligence contests) but a bit of advice because I always try to find good in people, even some of the politicians we have a hard time finding good things about... don't put your faith in anything or anyone too often.

Texas has to balance its budget according to law.
You should probably look at what they wanted to do with education and how teachers are pissed.
The state had to make nasty decisions in order to get that budget strait, what you and everyone else are going to see with time is the fallout from that, especially if your Googling info on Perry.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join