It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Snowed in Kentucky 9-6-11

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by EvolEric

Sure you aren't mistaking it for fine/small hail? Because at such temps snow just does not happen.

Here in middle of Norway it has been quite opposite lately. September has so far been more like july and august with several summer days and unusual warm nights.

Not quite true... here in Utah, we often get snow when it's over 40 degrees outside. Usually the day before is super warm, then it cools off just a bit, and we get snow, then the temps plummet. Then warm back up again by noon and the 2 inches of snow (or whatever) is gone. It all depends on the atmospheric temperature. More often than not, it's decently warm on the ground during our "warm" snow days as we call them. But living in a desert, we also get what we call "pellet" snow or "popcorn" snow. It's so dry, it doesn't take cold temperatures to create it. Which is why Utah claims "The Greatest Snow On Earth". It's perfect powder for skiing.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Campy61
reply to post by gemineye

I know no one on here really wants to tell were they are from but I'm in Somerset. What about my fellow Kentucky folks?

When i saw Somerset, i thought, south west england, i love it when i see American towns named after british towns, it makes the world seem smaller and all of us nearer, and neighbours, really thanks to the internet, I live in Swansea, South Wales, i believe theres two places in the US named Swansea.
OP, i believe your snow story, everything is going completely mad, autumn has dropped on us in the UK like a bomb, and im hearing rumbling noises in the sky and very strange chemical smells in the air.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen.

JayKay. I am not surprised that it snowed this early in the year. I was recently at work out of town in Iowa and the first day there it was godly hot out, the second day it was also a scorcher but then the tempature cooled down extremely fast and strong winds came out of no where. (So much so that the carnival nearby had to close some of it's rides down). Then on the final day it wasn't hot or rain but the high was only 75, which excited me.

Personally I love summer but around this time is when I start getting anxious for the fall/winter months. I am so sick of the heat and ready for snow/ice.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Strange. I'm an hour and a half north of Montreal and just yesterday, I was complaining about the weather here, bragging to my partner about how warm and wonderful the Labor Days always were growing up in Pike county. Spoke too soon, I guess.
edit on 7-9-2011 by 23refugee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Ok, it takes a lot to make the Dog come out of hiding on ATS. But this thread did just that. I didn't take time to read the whole thread, simply because the OP said it snowed in southeastern Kentucky. Well, if anyone wonders just why the OP has no pictures, it's because it did NOT happen. I live in southwest Virginia, less than 30 minutes from the exact area the OP describes. It was NOT near cold enough for snow on September 6th! The high temps, in the high elevations, was in the mid 70's and the low was in the mid to upper 50's overnight. So unless it can snow when it's 55+ degrees at night or 75 during the day, I call BS on the OP.

Thank you. I return to my dark shadows now.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Less than 30 minutes away?
I’m sorry sir, but the fastest I can drive to Virginia is more like 2 hours…
Trust me I’ve done it quite a lot…
It hasn’t been 70 Degrees F here since Sunday and it was in fact 100+
I did a lot of outside work on that day.

I did not have pictures because I was working…
I have no need for a cell phone/camera in my pocket which has no service in my area
While I am digging a ditch…

It did not stick or accumulate

I do not care if anyone believes me
I saw what I saw… like I said in the OP
Something for you to digest

PS
I’ve already had one person confirm that they seen it as well

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Well if it takes you 2 hours to get to VA, then you are obviously closer to being in central KY. At least post the right geographical reference when making such an outlandish claim such as this thread.

By the way, just for the record...I'm not trying to be a jerk..I just call it as I see it. Nothing personal.

edit on 9/8/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSep
Eric i live just north of you in Indiana I totally hear ya man it has been some weird weather as of late.

You guys should move to Texas if you think your weather is weird. Texas weather is constantly changing like this.

As they say, if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait a day.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I miss the south east coast.At least we would endure a hurricane or two,but at Xmas,I wore shorts.Winter lasted about 2 weeks,and it didn't get below 25 degrees .

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Glad your not trying... hate to see what it would be like if you were...

South Eastern Kentucky is the correct region that I am located in...

I've lived here my whole life... Thats what my color coded regional map tells me

You seem to be the type to have all the answers...

Oh and check out this post
Click Here
someone else seen it too

maybe you should have read a little more, before jumping strait to dismissing me as a liar...

but its ok

I just call it as I see it. Nothing personal.

But hey at least your not half as rude as some of the others who have posted here... Kudos for that
(Actually thats why I choose to talk to you instead of them... you do seem logical)

I will not hold your thoughts against you

edit on 9/8/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Snow is created up in the clouds where it is much colder than the air near the ground. The OP made no pretenses that the snow gathered on the ground; just that it fell from the air.

He is not lying nor mistaken. There probably was snow in the air for those few moments. The weather lately has been nothing if it hasn't been erratic. Wide swings of temperature and precipitation seem to be the norm these days everywhere.

I expect more of the same for this winter: huge snows interspersed with some really warm days. At least I hope this is it. Nothing worse than the temp going into the deep freeze and just staying there all winter.

Thank you for the support and the information

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I'm in KY too. And it was darn cold today. Had to make a trip back home for a jacket to get through the day, but yet over the weekend I was upset that I couldn't go swimming since it was so hot! Last Friday they were cancelling local HS sporting events because the heat index was so high. And yet I would not have been surprised to see snow today. Weird.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
According to the National Weather Service, their data for September 6th, 2011 (Eastern KY)...shows that the low temperature never once dropped below 55 degreesF.

Here is the observation Data with link to FULL source page in data table format (CLICK HERE)

1. 06 23:55 N 5 10.00 Overcast OVC007 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 23:35 N 3 7.00 Drizzle BKN009 OVC012 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 23:15 N 6 10.00 Overcast OVC009 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 22:55 N 5 10.00 Overcast OVC011 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 22:35 N 7 10.00 Overcast OVC011 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 22:15 N 5 10.00 Drizzle OVC011 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 21:55 N 5 10.00 Heavy Drizzle OVC011 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 21:35 N 6 10.00 Light Rain OVC011 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 21:15 N 5 10.00 Light Rain OVC011 59 57 94% 29.88 NA
    06 20:55 N 7 10.00 Heavy Drizzle OVC011 59 57 94% 29.87 NA
    06 20:35 N 6 10.00 Rain OVC011 59 57 94% 29.86 NA
    06 20:15 N 6 10.00 Light Drizzle OVC011 59 57 94% 29.86 NA
    06 19:55 N 6 10.00 Rain BKN008 OVC022 59 57 94% 29.85 NA
    06 19:35 N 8 7.00 Light Rain OVC008 59 57 94% 29.84 NA
    06 19:15 N 6 10.00 Heavy Drizzle BKN008 OVC013 59 57 94% 29.84 NA

What does all this data mean? It means that snowfall was not possible in the region observed on 09/06 or 09/05 or 09/07. And it also means that radar stations did not detect cold air pockets required to produce snow. This is a 72 hour report.

Thems the facts, do with them as you will.

RESEARCH.....its your friend.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Are you sure this wasn't just some kind of sleet or misty rain because I'm also in Eastern Kentucky and it has been raining non stop for about 3 days. Between the hard rain has been a strange light sprinkle, It literally has not stopped for 3 days. If it's not raining hard it is sprinkling.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Look thanks for the info there... I actually appreciate it
With my connection (dial up) it would be hard to find it

I can't help what what the weather report says
I wont dispute the fact it was 60ish when I saw the snow
I actually agree! It was not 32 Degrees F!
I even said that in my OP

But I seen actually honest to God snow.

Take it or leave it
Cos all the data I can see on a computer screen is not gonna change my mind
I know what I saw

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
For whatever it's worth...

The temperature where I live is often 6-10 degrees higher/lower than just 6 miles away from me. So during the winter we could be buried in snow and just down the road they're drowning in rain.

It doesn't explain the snow in the warmer temperature, but the point being - just because you might be nearby doesn't mean you would necessarily experience the same weather as the OP described.
edit on 9/8/2011 by onthelookout because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by onthelookout

he he, they call the area I live "Frozen" named after the creek/stream that runs through it... and its a big one too...
It will stay snowy here weeks even after the surrounding areas have melted...
Don't know if that factors in... but Its no guessing around here why they call it "Frozen"

So yeah thanks, the weather here is very different

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Louisville resident chiming in here. I havent seen it snow but we have had some of the densest mist and sprinkles I have ever seen along with some of the coolest weather for this time of year. We set a cold record for yesterdays high temp. A balmy wet and cloudy 64f. I could see this becoming slush or sleet in the higher elevations of eastern Ky.

Thanks for the weather update OP

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Yeah we are getting the same here. I'm about an hour from Lexington and we have had this non stop mist/sprinkling for days here. It's pretty unique.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It was a just cold front moving through. They can rapidly lower the ambient temperature by 20 degrees while passing. If it was near 60 degrees, and it can snow but not stick at 40 degrees... I don't see why this didn't happen.

I have experienced the same thing in Fredericksburg VA. I was watching a violent thunder storm. Once it seemed to pass and the rain let up, we went out side to smoke a cigarette, and it was very cold outside! We could easily see our breath, almost as much as you can see in the dead of winter thanks to the humidity.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join