It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Snowed in Kentucky 9-6-11

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

It was even colder than that here in northern Florida this morning. The thermometer outside my house said 64° but temperatures towards the panhandle were much lower. Crestview is regularly records the lowest daily temperatures in Florida, this morning they reached 53°. Tonight is supposed to be our coldest night here, projected 59° with a high of 87°, I am glad it is cooling off the summer was unbearable and I am a lover of the cold.

PS: We usually do not observe our first 50° nights until middle October so it is coming a month early.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
man, where are you???

kentucky or 1985...

get a camera phone!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

I am in Lexington but travel to Somerset often! I think the OP is mistaken about it being 106 degrees on Sunday. It was near that on Saturday but in the high eighties on Sunday. Monday it rained all day and was around 61 degrees. I traveled from Lexington to Ashland to Flatwoods and then back to Lexington. I hate driving in the rain!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Maybe airplanes and the exact conditions made it snow just where you are. I believe you. This could have happened.

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Oh, I believe you... of course I also live in Utah, so that is kinda something we see here. In fact, I woke up to temps at 32F the other day. SOOOO cold for Sept! And we still have snow in the mountains from our crazy winter. Wouldn't be surprised if we get hit with a storm within the month.
Crazy weather for sure!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Snow is created up in the clouds where it is much colder than the air near the ground. The OP made no pretenses that the snow gathered on the ground; just that it fell from the air.

He is not lying nor mistaken. There probably was snow in the air for those few moments. The weather lately has been nothing if it hasn't been erratic. Wide swings of temperature and precipitation seem to be the norm these days everywhere.

I expect more of the same for this winter: huge snows interspersed with some really warm days. At least I hope this is it. Nothing worse than the temp going into the deep freeze and just staying there all winter.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It did not snow.. Sorry.

Gratz on the stars and flags though.

Oh and there is something called "cold fronts" you learn about them in 3rd grade unless mommy thought you were being brainwashed and decided to homeschool you...and skip actual science........
edit on 7-9-2011 by StarPeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I guess you beat me to the weird cold weather!

ATS THREAD

I know it has been very unusual around here also. I really hope you did not see snow but, I do believe that you possibly could have.

Going to buy my fire wood this afternoon, just in case.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by StarPeace

That was pretty rude.

Can we just start praying for warmer weather?! I woke up today and I'm freezing
My grandparents leave all the windows open because their "too hot"

D: HELP ME! Lol.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I can confirm there were snowflakes in the rain.

I'm back and forth from Lexington to Knott County. I saw them also.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I am not intending to be rude or dismissive but... it did not snow. Your temperatures were far too warm for it to have occurred. You said your location is Breathitt County, KY so I searched the weather in Jackson yesterday (9/6) and the high was 61 and low was 56. So even at the best possible atmosphere arrangement snow could not have fallen at your location with the conditions you described.

The highest ground temperature snowfall has ever been observed at is 43°F. Why you would lie about this I do not know so it is my opinion, simply because you appear to be an honest guy, that you are confused as to what you had actually observed.

edit on 9/7/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

I have pictures of hail on the ground when it was 65-70 degrees in Southern Ohio... now that wasn't snow, but it does happen... I have seen it myself . The hail actually stayed on the ground for a few minutes, but snow never sticks.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Oh the irony! While everyone else was having the heatwave, Seattle was in the 60s (and even in the news about how much cooler it was than everyone else). And NOW, you guys are in the 60s and we're in the 80s this whole week.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
You have the tropical storm/depression heading straight for you. I could see how this might be possible if you got extremely fast-falling precipitation, particularly if it was relatively cool outside. That is a rather amazing story.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Your snowfall story is a wonderful way for you to meet people from your home state....very clever...good on you!

edit on 7-9-2011 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

I believe you... It's been much colder here in Minnesota, for it to be early September... I figured summer would last a little bit longer since it took so long for spring to get here this year... Guess I'll be paying an extra month's worth of gas for the heat...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
HAARP

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I am up in Toronto. About a week ago or so, A cold front pushed in and made for some whacky weather.
It was raining, hailing and snowing all at the same time. It only lasted about 3-4 minutes.
Ive never seen snow this early. Even though it didnt stay on the ground or anything, it's a bit out of the ordinary.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
E KY here! We were camping and the heat index was 99-102 Sat. Then bam! The rains started and temps dropped quickly. So yeah I am with ya on this on Eric. p.s. we didn't bail out, stuck out the rain into Monday.
Now, today the temps are even cooler, looking for the kerosene heaters and checking the wicks for annual replacement. I hate using our furnace, $$ effective to keep it off a bit longer.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Sure you aren't mistaking it for fine/small hail? Because at such temps snow just does not happen.

Here in middle of Norway it has been quite opposite lately. September has so far been more like july and august with several summer days and unusual warm nights.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric
reply to post by summer5

I been preparing for a bad winter for a while now, I've seen a few tell tale signs

reply to post by dreamfox1

Good guess,
but it melted...
when the wind blew it was freaking freezing, felt like January instead of September!

I couldn't agree more. This winter is looking to be one for the books if the early signs are an indicator. Southern Missouri here had a low in the 40's last night. It's gone from unbearably hot to downright COLD and needing the heat on in less than a week. We better have some Fall mixed in here somewhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join