It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: The One Who Stood with Reagan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Ron Paul obviously has a large following here on ATS. The currently accepted thinking is that he is outside of the established order and that he is the key to turning America around. However, this ad really makes me wonder just what might happen if he were to be elected.

Ron Paul has gotten as far as he has by being the lone member of Congress to pull the curtain back and reveal what the "All Powerful Government" really is about. Yet here, he is promoting a commonly held myth himself. Reagan's policies were never very libertarian, and one just needs to look at his military spending or his establishment of the "Drug Tsar" to throw away the idea he was for smaller government.

Ultimately, Paul is a politician and doing things to get elected. But why is he abandoning the strategy that got him so far in the first place?
edit on 9/6/2011 by FSBlueApocalypse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Because the strategy for running for congress is far different than running for POTUS.
Ron Paul is smart enough to hire the right people to make it happen. His ads and his speeches are changing because this time he wants to win.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Ultimately, Paul is a politician and doing things to get elected. But why is he abandoning the strategy that got him so far in the first place?
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

I'm sure this is to get the Hard Core Republicans to look and at least consider Dr. Pauls policies. They are bolstering him being along side Reagan to get their attention. It's going to take different ads and tactics to get different peoples attention. Besides he probably just signs off on these ads. He's most likely not involved in his campaigns advertising that much.
edit on 6-9-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Well, I'm by no means a die-hard Ron Paul guy, but in 1988 he left the Republican party to run for the presidency on the libertarian ticket. One of the reasons he cited for leaving the Republican Party was his dismay over Reagan running up the deficit.

The Ron Paul presidential campaign of 1988 began in early 1987 when former Congressman Ron Paul of Texas announced his candidacy for the 1988 presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party. He joined the third party after leaving the Republican Party over the Reagan administration's handling of the federal budget. He ran on a platform that included non-interventionism in foreign conflicts, decriminalization of illegal drugs, a return to the gold standard, the abolition of the Federal Reserve and a reduction in all government spending.

source:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

*chuckle*

I was actually just looking into the fallout from this ad myself, and getting quite a quick out of it, friend.

The Perry campaign was actually fairly quick to respond to the ad with Ron Paul's 1987 resignation letter from the GOP, as a direct result of BUM BUM BUMMMMMMMMM....Ronald Reagan's failure to keep his campaign promises and increasing the size of government, increased militarism, failed financially policies, and - get this - the republican party basically failing to be republican enough for him, and moving away from their principles.

Oh, it's truly priceless. Perry's just like the goose who laid the golden egg here, and effectively highlighted Paul's conservative & libertarian principles. You can read Paul's resignation letter here.

Be well.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I think the "stood with Reagan" is just an end around to smear Rick Perry without looking too negative. It is important to point out to the Conservative folks that Rick Perry is no conservative. He is an "Al Gore Liberal"

I do hope Ron Paul runs an honorable and effective campaign without getting too involved in the dirty game of politics.

It will be a delicate act to stick to his principles and also get the attention it takes to be elected. If anyone can do it, he can.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
He's made it pretty clear that he supported Reagan and everything Reagan stood for in the election. He really had high hopes. Reagan even ran on getting rid of the department of education, which we could have said was a failure years ago but now is becoming more and more obvious, and so much money wasted as well. But Reagan didn't do these things he said he would, so Ron Paul became disenfranchised with him.

George Bush also ran on being against nation-building and Ron Paul loves the things George Bush ran on, but doesn't like what was done while in office.

Obama promised to have the troops out of Iraq within a year. It's easy to love a promise a politician makes, and point out how great of an idea it was, and be disappointed when the politician does not follow through.

And it's not just that these guys fail to accomplish what they tried, they very often don't even manage to steer the course even slightly, and things only go in the opposite direction under their leadership. In other words funding for the Dept. of education increased under Reagan, Nation building INCREASED under Bush.

I think Ron Paul would at least get things moving in the direction he intends. (EDIT: to say why I believe that? Because he understands that's what's important. These politicians sometimes shoot for the moon and miss, so they can then say, "well we tried." And the status quo lives on just like they wanted. Ron Paul knows that fundamentals and the way we look at things have to change if anything is going to change.

edit on 6-9-2011 by Novise because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
NIce ad. People who liked Reagan will love it! I hear Sarah Palin has just take a shot at Perry so maybe she will help Paul's campaign(indirectly).

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Well that may be so, but remember Reagan had all those CFR Shadow puppets surrounding him even then. Even Jimmy Carter was Tri Lateralist. I believe that Reagan meant well, but had his hands tied by CFR. Remember also tha tBush Sr (2nd gen Bonesman and NWO spokesman) was his running mate.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
With Reagan being put on a pedestal, it sure won't hurt to point out that Ron Paul supported him.

While it might not be true so much any more, I'm sure it will get the attention of Reagan worshipers.
edit on 6-9-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Perhaps Ron Paul has evolved since then. He is 25 years older now.

He's not just going to "restore" America either. You have to break it to fix it at this point....
edit on 6-9-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think that this is a brilliant strategy.

Aligning yourself with one of the most popular presidents can never hurt.

When he gets called out on it though, it will be the perfect opportunity to point out that Regan was OK, but could have been so much better if he had kept his campaign promises.

He could be the "Regan that fulfills." winning him the Regan worshipers and not losing his libertarian followers.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posted already FYI. Although it was under a different title.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ron Paul campaign definitely knows what they are doing, while at the same time hitting Rick Perry hard for being a false republican, he also pandered to voters that voted in the Reagan era, Ron Paul's weakest age group of voter support is 47+. Brilliant ad if you ask me, Perry's fraud definitely has to be shown to those blinded by his governership of Texas.

1976 Voted for Jimmy Carter for President
1982 Married Anita Thigpen
1984 At age 34, was elected to the Texas House of Representatives as a Democrat from district 64
1986 Re-elected to the Texas House of Representatives as a Democrat
1988 Re-elected to the Texas House of Representatives as a Democrat
1988 Co-chaired the Democrat Al Gore campaign in Texas
1989 At age 39, switched from Democrat party to Republican party “I intend to vote the same convictions,” Perry said. “The only difference is there will be an R beside my name.” Star-Telegram
1990 Elected as Texas Agriculture Commissioner
1993 At age 43, wrote a letter to Democrat Hillary Clinton expressing support for her health care reform proposal, describing Hillarycare as “most commendable”
1998 Elected as Lieutenant Governor of Texas
2000 Assumed Governorship following the resignation of George W. Bush
2001 First appointment was Democrat Henry Cuellar as Secretary of State of Texas
2001 Proposed the NAFTA Superhighway/Trans-Texas Corridor (TTC) land grab using eminent domain to seize private property
2001 Signed the Texas DREAM Act giving illegal immigrants in-state tuition for Texas universities, creating a national movement to award aid to illegal immigrant students
2001 Expressed excitement that Texas Secretary of State Henry Cuellar was working on an initiative that would extend the benefits of telemedicine to individuals living on the Mexican side of the border
2002 Re-elected as Governor of Texas
2006 Re-elected as Governor of Texas
2007 Issued an executive order mandating that 6th grade Texas girls receive HPV vaccine GARDASIL® from Merck & Co.
2007 Endorsed pro-abortion and gun control candidate Rudy Giuliani for President
2007 Resisted efforts to repeal the law giving tuition breaks to illegal immigrants
2008 Signed letters with the Democrat Joe Manchin the Governor of WV urging the TARP bailouts and even lambasted Congress for its failure to “agree on a rescue of the financial markets”
2010 Re-elected as Governor of Texas
2010 Liberal Rick Perry pandered to the National Council of La Raza (NCLR)
2011 Backed down to federal government on the Texas House Bill 1937- TSA Anti-Groping Bill

liberalrickperry.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This is what we need! a president with Reagans views. We need to Restore America

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Ron Paul supports the official story on 911 and that's all the proof you need that he is not to be trusted. Arpee is part of the controlled opposition.

top topics

join