It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X2 flare. Earth directed

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by my3911

WOW....now that is some data there. I guess I am off to research this.
Good job!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by my3911

ELE at perihelion with the Sun 9/8 - 9/11 Massive Solar Flares

Except that the flares weren't "massive" and perihelion is not until September 27.
(I assume you meant Elenin)

edit on 9/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Whups. Sorry. I thought he meant the "alignment" with Earth. Perihelion will be on the 11th. Five days after the "massive" flares.
edit on 9/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by my3911

The mighty Phage gets on my case while this goes unnoticed?
Typical.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So they stacked the deck to favor their theories? Ok I can buy that. Do you have any idea how this theory came about? What prompted anyone to seek a correlation between solar flares and earthquakes in the first place?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I'm getting that.
Unlike some on this site I can be educated and I do change my mind about things when presented with reason.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I was being facetious. I meant your research paper. LOL.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Haven't you noticed? People are always looking for correlations with everything for everything. There are two problems.

When you have to look too hard for a correlation it could mean there isn't one.
Even if you find a correlation it doesn't mean that one thing causes the other.
stats.org...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

On the relation between solar activity and seismicity
M. N. Gousheval, K. Y. Georgieva’, B. B. Kiro?, D. Atanaso?
‘Institute for Space Research, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
6, Moskovska Str., Sofia 1000, Bulgaria
2Solar-Terrestrial Influences Laboratory, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Acad. G.Bonchev Str., b1.3, Sofia 1 113, Bulgaria
’Sofia University, Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics.....

......SUMMARY AND DISCUSSION
Most of the studies devoted U) the extraterrestrial
factors influencing seismicity deal with tidal forces
resulting from gravitational interaction between the
Earth, Moon and Sun [I, 4, 16, 171. Attempts to explain
earthquake triggering by astronomical tides have been
continuing even after the paper of Vidale et al. [I41
showing the lack of earthquake correlation with tides [la,
Sytinskii [3], based on the case study of several strong
earthquakes, suggested that the triggering mechanism for
-:- earthquake occurrence is not the tidal force but the solar
induced change in atmospheric circulation expressed in
large-scale reorganization of baric fields, and showed that
the energy of these disturbances is at least 3 orders of
magnitude greater than the energy of an earthquake.
Ludmany and Baranyi [20] argued that the high speed
plasma streams would lead to the modification of 'the
global atmospheric circulation. Further, Prikryl et al. [21]
studied the response of atmospheric circulation to the
high speed solar wind as mediated by auroral electrojet,
ionospheric convection and atmospheric gravity waves.
Their case study and superposed method analysis of the
variations of the high-level clouds which have been
shown to be a good representation of mid-latitude
cyclones, confirm that gravity waves generated by pulsed
ionospheric convection (auroral electrojet) as a result of
high speed solar wind MHD wave coupling to the
magnetosphere-ionosphere system, are transmitted to the
lower atmosphere and alter the atmospheric circulation.
several hours to one day is followed by one or more
earthquakes at almost the same latitude and a
substantially higher longitude.
Therefore, the possible mechanism of solar activity
influences on seismic activity could include the following
elements: high-speed solar wind streams - strengthening
of auroral electrojet - generation of atmospheric gravity
waves - changes in atmospheric circulation - disrupting
the pressure balance on tectonic plates - earthquake
triggering.

Link to PDF of the paper.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

I'm getting that.
Unlike some on this site I can be educated and I do change my mind about things when presented with reason.

My mind is still open on this one. Nice to see this thread remain so civil. Interesting stuff to be sure.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well that's true 99% of the time on ATS anyway.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

ABOUT POSSIBLE INFLUENCE OF SOLAR ACTIVITY UPON
SEISMIC AND VOLCANIC ACTIVITIES:
LONG-TERM FORECAST
*Khain V.E., **Khalilov E.N.
*Moscow State University named after M.V.Lomonosov,
**International Academy of Science H&E (Austria, Innsbruck)
It has been determined that in the period of solar activity increase (11-year
cycles) there increase seismic and volcanic activities in the compression zone of
Earth and at the same time there decreases the activity in the tension zones of Earth.
On the basis of the discovered stable 11-year and 22-year cyclicalities in the seismic
and volcanic activities and their high correlation with solar activity there has been
made the long-term forecast until 2018. The next maximum of seismic and volcanic
activity with very high amplitude for the compression zones of Earth is forecasted for
the period 2012-2015.

Link to another PDF of a paper from 2008.

These have likely been posted before, but I'm posting as I find them for others to view.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Power spectra analysis for world!wide and
North Africa historical earthquakes data in
relation to sunspots periodicities
M[A[M[ Shaltouta\\ M[T[Y[ Tadrosb\ S[L[ Mesihaa
a National Research Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics\ Helwan\ E`ypt
b Physics Department\ Faculty of Science\ Mansoura University\ Mansoura\ E`ypt
Received 07 June 0887^ accepted 09 September 0887
Abstract
In the last three decades\ the in~uence of solar activity on earth seismicity is one of the most
important subjects in the _eld of long!term prediction of earthquakes[
In the present work\ the autocorrelation and power spectra analysis were applied for the
sequences of sunspots and earthquakes activity[ The used data are the worldwide earthquakes
of M4\ and the sunspots number Rz\ for the period 08920874[ Both are available from the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration NOAA\ Boulder\ Colorado\ U[S[A[ Also\
we restrict our attention to earthquakes in North Africa with two stations\ one at Cairo "Egypt#\
and the other at Alger "Algeria# of M3 for the period "08990875#[
The results indicated the presence of the eleven year cycles of the sunspots into the time of
the earthquakes of the North Africa[ Also\ from the worldwide and North Africa earthquakes
data a periodicities ranged between 0[90 and 4[4 years are revealed\ which may be linked to a
solar activity cycle[ 0888 Elsevier Science Ltd[ All rights reserved

Link to yet another.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We have one X class X 1.8 ..

And is from same sunspot ..

22:38 UTC
Sep 7

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-9-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

That one is kind of confusing. It seems to be comparing the fluctuations in monthly sunspot number to the fluctuations in the numbers of of earthquakes. Sort of a second (or third) generation correlation.

I think it falls into the category of trying too hard to find a correlation. Since no direct relationship between solar activity and earthquakes is found (more sunspots does not equal more earthquakes), let's try something else.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by soficrow

You have the cause and effect reversed.
The theory is that stresses in the Earth produce disturbances in the ionosphere. There is nothing in there about solar activity causing earthquakes.

i have heard this theory mentioned on here before and i find it counter intuitive. From all reports the sky changes colour BEFORE the earthquake goes off. so logic would seem to point at the source coming from space passing through the ionosphere and hitting the tectonic plates or whatever it is that's causing the earthquakes.

How tectonic activity could discharge enough energy to light up the ionosphere i cant understand and would greatly appreciate your explanation of the theory. thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

......SUMMARY AND DISCUSSION Most of the studies devoted U) the extraterrestrial factors influencing seismicity deal with tidal forces resulting from gravitational interaction between the Earth, Moon and Sun [I, 4, 16, 171. Attempts to explain earthquake triggering by astronomical tides have been continuing even after the paper of Vidale et al. [I41 showing the lack of earthquake correlation with tides [la, 191. Sytinskii [3], based on the case study of several strong earthquakes, suggested that the triggering mechanism for -:- earthquake occurrence is not the tidal force but the solar induced change in atmospheric circulation expressed in large-scale reorganization of baric fields, and showed that the energy of these disturbances is at least 3 orders of magnitude greater than the energy of an earthquake. Ludmany and Baranyi [20] argued that the high speed plasma streams would lead to the modification of 'the global atmospheric circulation. Further, Prikryl et al. [21] studied the response of atmospheric circulation to the high speed solar wind as mediated by auroral electrojet, ionospheric convection and atmospheric gravity waves. Their case study and superposed method analysis of the variations of the high-level clouds which have been shown to be a good representation of mid-latitude cyclones, confirm that gravity waves generated by pulsed ionospheric convection (auroral electrojet) as a result of high speed solar wind MHD wave coupling to the magnetosphere-ionosphere system, are transmitted to the lower atmosphere and alter the atmospheric circulation. several hours to one day is followed by one or more earthquakes at almost the same latitude and a substantially higher longitude. Therefore, the possible mechanism of solar activity influences on seismic activity could include the following elements: high-speed solar wind streams - strengthening of auroral electrojet - generation of atmospheric gravity waves - changes in atmospheric circulation - disrupting the pressure balance on tectonic plates - earthquake triggering.

This made good sense. This will make for good reading later and in the morning. Thanks a bunch for the PDF....
Love this stuff!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Grasping at straws to find a correlation it seems. ...and yet it does seem to be of more than a passing interest. I am frankly surprised to find this much. I see two others but I'd have to purchase them and my interest does not stretch that far.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

i have heard this theory mentioned on here before and i find it counter intuitive. From all reports the sky changes colour BEFORE the earthquake goes off. so logic would seem to point at the source coming from space passing through the ionosphere and hitting the tectonic plates or whatever it is that's causing the earthquakes. How tectonic activity could discharge enough energy to light up the ionosphere i cant understand and would greatly appreciate your explanation of the theory. thanks in advance.
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Exactly!!!!!!
So.....now what?

Here is another link to a site that speaks about a relation and also be sure to click on the paper for some good reading.

VLF Waves, the Ionosphere, and Earthquakes There is some intriguing research about whether large earthquakes are associated with ionospheric changes caused by electromagnetic signals released by the crushing of rock crystalline structures. If so, then this might be a mechanism for major earthquake prediction. One of the primary researchers in this area is Friedemann Freund, of NASA Ames. He has written several articles introducing the concept of ionospheric and atmospheric changes as earthquake precursors: Stimulated infrared emission from rocks: assessing a stress indicator Predicting Earthquakes Earthquake Predictor Cracking the Code of Pre-Earthquake Signals

solar-center.stanford.edu...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Space weather is showing ANOTHER X-class flare.

Space Weather

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
According to that website there is around 170 smaller X-class flares per cycle, since 2006 was the last cycle and we lived through it I'm guessing we'll be fine. Even in the event of X20 all they say is a several hour complete radio blackout.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join