It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X2 flare. Earth directed

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

So, I was in the airport yesterday (ORD) and there were several travelers having to rebook flights to Asia due to a solar flare that had disrupted air traffic and flights into and out of China. Could this be the same one? It was 3PM in Chicago.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

It doesn't seem so.
The flare occurred at 22:12 UTC. I think that's 17:12 CDT.

edit on 9/7/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BooKrackers
Why not just call a monster flare a XXX flare, that way we can be sure we're f**ked when we see it!

Makes a lot of sense

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Induction heating could be plausible, I have been thinking for a while
that sunspots alone can cause a rise in daily global temps as there seems to be
a coincidence in warmer than usual days to the increase in spots over the last
couple of years. and a cooler days when there are none.
With that being said, a burst of energy from the sun in energy and possibly heat
may bring earthquake increases. As things do expand when heated, why would this not
have the same effect on the earths crust and magma.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

Oh cool. Well at least some miss. Maybe I just read the ones which appear to be a threat more than not.

Even if a big one comes, I have faith our Home's natural defences will kick in where needed. Until the sun goes "boom!", we've little to fear nothing short of a few electrical issues which should pass. Sun radiation can't be any worse than the Fukushima plants healthy dose.... or can it?

I'm not the brightest star, but I enjoy learning.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

The main trouble with the idea of induction heating is that you need to have a current flowing around or past a conductor. A pretty strong current. Telluric currents are not strong and I have a hard time visualizing how a current would flow around (but not through) a deposit of conductive minerals.

When compared to the total energy output of the Sun a flare is not really significant. The effects of a flare are seen in the upper atmosphere where the electromagnetic radiation increases ionization levels.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I had it in my head telluric currents were from tidal actions and the movement of saltwater. I see it's also related to geomagnetic fields. Hmmm, I wonder? Perhaps there is a way to connect the dots.

It would seem to me for it to be causal we would have to see multiple flares over a short time span or any impact would dissipate immediately. The quake would have to occur during the event to even link it? I need to do some reading.

Found a good source to start with.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

If there a significant connection there should be a correlation between earthquake activity and the solar cycle. There does not seem to be such a correlation.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Here is my $.02

This goes out to ALL of the people posting especially the king of one liners.

Can we all agree that even IF there is a MAJOR earthquake this weekend, the naysayers will STILL
insist that there is NO correlation? I think we can all agree on that, can't we?
It will be chalked up as coincidence and you will be told by the same ol people that flares and CMEs don't cause EQs.

So what's the point?

Here is a list of the strongest earthquakes ever recorded.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Here is a slideshow of the top 10 solar storms ever recorded.
newyork.ibtimes.com...

I fail to see a correlation.

If there is a major earthquake that happens at the exact same time as a solar-activity-induced radio blackout or something of that nature, I may change my mind.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by semicolonsmile

If there is a major earthquake that happens at the exact same time as a solar-activity-induced radio blackout or something of that nature, I may change my mind.

No reason to. I call it the shower syndrome.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I found this older research paper from the Smithsonian that suggests that there might be a connection. Apparently in this study of 682 qarthquakes over a number of years all were preceeded by a solar flare. It also said that not all solar flares were followed by earthquakes. Make of it what you will.
adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

If there a significant connection there should be a correlation between earthquake activity and the solar cycle. There does not seem to be such a correlation.

I agree, but I'm beginning to see how a person could theorize a connection.

It seems to me that at best a massive flare could act as a trigger and cause a quake that would have occurred anyway, to happen a few days or moments earlier.

If nothing else its made my boring morning at work more interesting and has given me something interesting to read.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

The main trouble with the idea of induction heating is that you need to have a current flowing around or past a conductor. A pretty strong current. Telluric currents are not strong and I have a hard time visualizing how a current would flow around (but not through) a deposit of conductive minerals.

When compared to the total energy output of the Sun a flare is not really significant. The effects of a flare are seen in the upper atmosphere where the electromagnetic radiation increases ionization levels.

It is said the earths core is iron, right?
like a giant conductor?
is this not why we have the ability to have lightning? a constant energy source?
then if so a burst of energy from the sun could be enough of offset the balance and generate heat?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Thanks so much. That linked to some interesting abstracts.

Source

Earlier studies reported a significant decrease in the geomagnetic field before strong earthquakes. Possible relationships between earthquakes with magnitude greater than 7 (Soviet scale) and planetary terrestrial magnetic field activity as characterized by the K sub p index were investigated. A total of 100 cases of strong earthquakes on magnetically quiet days in 1965 to 1975 were studied. The K sub p indexes were studied for two days before and two days after the earthquakes. The dispersion curve shows a significant decrease one day before each event. The relationship of the planetary K sub p index with seismic activity indicates that the period of preparation for an earthquake and at the moment of the shock are reflected in the terrestrial magnetic field.

Authors:
Pogrebnikov, M. M.; Komarovski, N. I.; Kopytenko, Y. A.; Pushel, A. P.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

well here we go...real research showing some connections

the PHAGE goes silent! hee hee

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I didn't say there aren't natural conductors.

Earthquakes do not originate in the Earth's core.

Lightning is an atmospheric phenomenon of static electricity. Similar to the way static electricity is produced when you comb your hair.

A burst of energy from the sun could offset what "balance"?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by KevinB

As far as I can find, there simply is no credible source for the seeming myth that these cause earthquakes. It seems to have been fabricated out of thin air by people not qualified to do so.

Credibility is subjective. A credible speculation to me is perhaps incredible to you. I think it's at least possible that solar flares and earthquakes are connected. Aside from that, how does one become "qualified" to speculate? I take it you are an empiricist, so let me guess: it is through inductive reasoning, which is really just an educated opinion, using particular facts to arrive at general concepts. Alternatively we could use deductive reasoning, which many empiricists seem to hold as "unqualified," to go from general concepts to particular concepts. For example:

General concept 1: Sun and Earth are electro-magnetic bodies
General concept 2: Electro-magnetic bodies affect one another
Particular concept: Sun and Earth affect one another

This is a syllogism, and without this form of logic, we would probably all be dead. With the power of the syllogism, I can know that it's probably not a good idea to walk out into traffic, and I can know this without conducting any experiments. Of course I can always test my deductive reasoning by gathering facts, and maybe I will find out that I am impervious to the impact of vehicles and write a peer-reviewed paper about my amazing discovery. Or maybe I just find out that deductive reasoning had some truth to it.

I do not mean to say that inductive reasoning is lesser or worse than deductive, but it is also not really any better or more truthful. They are two sides of the same coin, so if you are always looking outside of yourself for a credible source of truth, you are missing half of the power reason. Perhaps it doesn't take a scientist to figure out that there is a correlation between solar flares and earthquakes. Perhaps it in fact takes an average ATS nerd who is good at deductive reasoning.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

No he didn't.

He was reading the source. Maybe you should have done so too.

It says nothing about solar activity. It says that during periods of quiet geomagnetic activity it was noticed that there was a drop in activity before an earthquake.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I didn't say there aren't natural conductors.

Earthquakes do not originate in the Earth's core.

Lightning is an atmospheric phenomenon of static electricity. Similar to the way static electricity is produced when you comb your hair.

A burst of energy from the sun could offset what "balance"?
what I am getting at here is heat expansion.
if the sun can generate energy within the earth due to conductive absorption then
could we have expansion?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperTripps

well here we go...real research showing some connections

You accepted the idea with nothing to back it up? No research at all? I find that amazing and I find Phage to be very reasonable and most importantly not prone to accept the absurd ideas we see floating around ATS so much lately. Do not use me as a basis for acting like a Troll.

Like Phage, I also have a hard time buying into this idea.

The point Phage made, the same point made in the FAQ from USGS, that if true earthquakes would increase in number in direct relationship to the sunspot cycle is likely the truth. Far more likely than not.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join