It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X2 flare. Earth directed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
damn, I wish the sat had caught it. It might have given us a better idea about the CME it launched our way

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by VortiganX

Tentatively, we expect Earth's magnetic field to receive a glancing blow from a CME on Sept. 8th or 9th. Stay tuned for updates.

from www.spaceweather.com

not such a big deal maybe. not that I don't think we could use 6 months without electricity but I don't think this is it.
edit on 6-9-2011 by VortiganX because: i dumb

They're talking about the M5.3 delivering a glancing blow. There's no info about the possible effects of the X2 just yet.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm a firm believer that the Ionosphere activity is caused by radiation release. Sichuan province has no commercial reactors but plenty of military nuclear activities. Ionosphere heated. Earthquake. Same happened with Japan. I bet the same happened with the recent Virginia / Washington one too, given it happened almost directly under the plant.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You have the cause and effect reversed.
The theory is that stresses in the Earth produce disturbances in the ionosphere. There is nothing in there about solar activity causing earthquakes.

Think feedback, loop.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Meh.

I don't think a CME that follows an X2 flare is going to be anything worth while writing home to mom about.

... But wake me if an X9 heads our way followed by an equally powerful CME.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I think this is directly linked to the tokyo earthquake warnings just put out

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Here is the new model with the X flare, strange area in the model as it approaches earth:

iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ChungTsuU

Judging by the model, it looks like higher latitudes in the northern hemisphere will be getting worked by the energy release.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum Logic
I find it amusing that very quickly people have entered an informative thread with such a combative attitude.
FACT 1- We do NOT understand everything about the sun, our planet, or even our own bodies.
FACT 2- Only humans are so arrogant to believe otherwise.
I have been reading a myriad of recently published papers on this subject, and while none a conclusive as of yet, all contain information and data of which we were previously unaware. This is the process of discovery, and it is how all science and knowledge progresses.

I eagerly await more data on this flare; the intensity is not what I am interested in, but the orientation of the flare to Earth.

I had to quote this again because I find it to be the TRUTH if there is one. I mean...I have read pages now of arguments whether or not the X-Flare even happened not to mention the arguments saying what if anything the flare will do.

I too have read about 160 pages of a Newsletter that are from a number of professionals with theories as to why an earthquake happens and there are plenty of professionals who indeed believe a flare may trigger one not to mention an alignment. There are soooo many things we do not know and always theorizing what we think we know.

The strong one in Feb. and or March may have triggered the EQ in Japan....we do NOT know really. It is a good idea to keep and eye on them and not be so naive to think it has no effect on our Planet.

Is our magnetic field weakened? YES!

Do we have data to suggest flares that are Earth directed cause harm? X1.5 happened on March 9th, 2011. Two days later the Japan happened...so lets just at least be aware with what we think could occur.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I'm new at ATS so I'm not very tech savvy to the site and I can't post my own thread yet....I gotta earn my miles!

Anyway, I went to the Stereo site and looked behind the COR2 telescope and saw a strange object to the right of the sun dated 2011-09-06 at 00:25:14 - 05:55:14. Take a look and give me your feedback. Stereo Image Behind COR2 2011-09-06

Just in case I screwed up the link to the site here it is:

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomKnight
I'm new at ATS so I'm not very tech savvy to the site and I can't post my own thread yet....I gotta earn my miles!

Anyway, I went to the Stereo site and looked behind the COR2 telescope and saw a strange object to the right of the sun dated 2011-09-06 at 00:25:14 - 05:55:14. Take a look and give me your feedback. Stereo Image Behind COR2 2011-09-06

Just in case I screwed up the link to the site here it is:

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Tell me what to put in the empty spaces and I will check it out. I am SURE I will have no idea but I really want to see what you are seeing and questioning.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
At least this will provide us with more evidence of a sun-earthquake-volcanic eruption connection. Personally, I am on the fence as to whether or not there lies a link. Since this one is fully directed towards Earth, we should see seismic activity around the time it arrives...Thursday or Friday. Some of the prior CMEs skirted the Earth or were only partially directed, so this one should have a clearer correlation, if there is one to made.

Edit to add:

Piers says: "The massive Japan Earthquake and Tsunami were triggered by massive events on the Sun and there are more to come in the next two years. The Earthquake was preceded by an X class solar flare and a significant hit of the Earth by a Coronal Mass Ejection".
- reported by nasa: www.nasa.gov...

So, we'll see....
edit on 7-9-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
On the last big solar flare a month or so ago, we lost our wireless router and our cable TV went out (both are with Comcast). I live in Washington state, so this X class will probably do the same thing (no internet/TV for us for a week until repaired).

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
At least this will provide us with more evidence of a sun-earthquake-volcanic eruption connection. Personally, I am on the fence as to whether or not there lies a link. Since this one is fully directed towards Earth, we should see seismic activity around the time it arrives...Thursday or Friday. Some of the prior CMEs skirted the Earth or were only partially directed, so this one should have a clearer correlation, if there is one to made.

Edit to add:

Piers says: "The massive Japan Earthquake and Tsunami were triggered by massive events on the Sun and there are more to come in the next two years. The Earthquake was preceded by an X class solar flare and a significant hit of the Earth by a Coronal Mass Ejection".
- reported by nasa: www.nasa.gov...

So, we'll see....
edit on 7-9-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I agree. Time will tell if there is any correlation to be made. If you go back and look at the data from previous X-flares there does seem to be a coincidence....or maybe it is up to the eye of the beholder because to me...looking out of my eyes....it appears to have some credibility. I have only been studying and researching since the Big Japan Quake so, not enough time to make a judgment call. If we happen to have some 7's or higher I will believe it is indeed possible for the Sun's X-Flare to cause an EQ.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DantesPeak

Originally posted by DantesPeak

Originally posted by VortiganX

Tentatively, we expect Earth's magnetic field to receive a glancing blow from a CME on Sept. 8th or 9th. Stay tuned for updates.

from www.spaceweather.com

not such a big deal maybe. not that I don't think we could use 6 months without electricity but I don't think this is it.
edit on 6-9-2011 by VortiganX because: i dumb

They're talking about the M5.3 delivering a glancing blow. There's no info about the possible effects of the X2 just yet.

nope, they are talking about both of them

The flares produced waves of ionization in Earth's upper atmosphere, briefly altering the propagation of low-frequency radio signals around our planet. Moreover, the two eruptions hurled clouds of plasma (CMEs) in our general direction. A preliminary analysis of SOHO and STEREO imagery suggests that the CMEs could sail substantially north of Earth, delivering a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field as they pass. ETA: Sept. 8-10. Stay tuned for updates.

edit on 7-9-2011 by VortiganX because: quoty quote quote

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why are you ignorant?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Old77

He's correct, a solar storm will not hurt your phone, your car, or anything you own that's electrical.

Unless you can provide evidence to the contrary, you sir are the ignorant one.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

There's about a 26% chance of an earthquake of magnitude 7+ occurring within 4 days of an earth directed X flare...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not the best odds.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I am not sure of his source but here is a link that may provide some details regarding such. Check it out and let me know if anyone is ignorant.
I would say ignorant is not a nice word.....maybe naive is a better choice of word? I wish everyone would be more open minded and know that science changes with time and we do not KNOW everything much less a fraction.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Peace and love to you and yours!!!! xoxoxox

Jenn

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Old77

Phage is the resident expert on these matters, so you should listen.

I think a lot of people think a storm works similar to an EMP when it comes to electronics, this is not the case.

It is to do with magnetic fields moving around transmission cables and the likes of. It induces a current along the length of it (the longer the cable the worse it is). This then causes transmission equipment (ie generators) to go scatty.

The home user is not affected, well, they wont have electric, but no biggy.

I think the above is about right, if it isn't, I'm sure Phage will correct me :-p

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join