It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X2 flare. Earth directed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Spaceweather.com is reporting an X-2 Class Flare with incoming CME
Goes x-ray flux

It's fairly safe to assume that this flare came from sunspot 1283 which is squarely earth-facing. In fact, according to Spaceweather "Sunspot 1283 is crossing the center of tthe solar disk. Any flares from the region today would be squarely Earth-directe"

The following is a quote from TheWeatherSpace

After unleashing an M-class flare within the last 24 hours, Sunspot 1283 exploded violently.

An X-class solar flare has erupted from the Sun. This flare is Earth-directed and should arrive within the following 48 to 72 hours from now, making it Thursday or Friday of this week.

The flare's exact magnitude was X2.1. Scientists measure the magnitude of flares from A, B, C, M, and X. X flares are rare, and can cause radio and electrical grid blackouts.

What worries me about this type of flare, while it may not actually be strong enough to affect power grids, and will only have a minor impact on radio signals, it could easily induce more large earthquakes and I think we all can agree that we don't need anymore of those.

Official Announcement by Spaceweather

Earth-orbiting satellites have detected an X2-class solar flare from sunspot 1283. The explosion, which occured at 2220 UT on Sept. 6th, appears to have hurled a CME toward Earth. This is the second time today that sunspot 1283 has propelled a plasma cloud in our general direction

edit on 6-9-2011 by KevinB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Argh! I check it more than once a day and always miss it!

Edit: Yeah someone beat ya to it

Solar Flare X 2.1 Class, Earth Directed
edit on 6-9-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
already been posted but thanks

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

We won't know until NOAA builds a 3d model and releases it, unless you know a better way to find out which I would love to know. The sun has always been something i'm interested/worried about so i've learned quite a bit about it but I'm still a semi-novice when it comes to the direction of CME's and flares. Let me know if you find anything

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724

already posted? Gone already? it just started..why would it be gone?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

No offense but no it hasn't, not only did I check search but I checked new threads under fragile earth as well. Please link the thread when you make such comments in the future. P.s the one in search is from february

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KevinB

Bring it on SUN... X2, pshhh I laugh in your direction

My flashlight is brighter then you.. even my candle light

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by KevinB

No offense but no it hasn't, not only did I check search but I checked new threads under fragile earth as well. Please link the thread when you make such comments in the future. P.s the one in search is from february

Was the one in february stronger or weaker? Why didn´t anything happen in february if it was stronger? And if nothing happened in february, why is this one significant?

Unless the one in february was massively weaker and this one is really much stronger and noteworthy, i do not see a reason for this thread. Please enlighten us why this is noteworthy

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I agree.. People act like if a topic has been posted before that every single person has seen it.. Good for you keeping us up to date.. thanks Much...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

Was the one in february stronger or weaker? Why didn´t anything happen in february if it was stronger? And if nothing happened in february, why is this one significant?

Unless the one in february was massively weaker and this one is really much stronger and noteworthy, i do not see a reason for this thread. Please enlighten us why this is noteworthy

Sorry I am still in the process of building the thread, I wanted to get the info out there asap. The concern with these flares is threefold, first radio blackouts are very common. Second, these flares can knock out power grids depending on their corresponding CME strength (as of this time we do not know that, which is the main reason people post threads about solar flares ASAP after they happen because there is alot of unknowns when dealing with solar flares). Third, they can induce earthquakes (still a subjective claim).

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Sorry I am still in the process of building the thread, I wanted to get the info out there asap. The concern with these flares is threefold, first radio blackouts are very common. Second, these flares can knock out power grids depending on their corresponding CME strength (as of this time we do not know that, which is the main reason people post threads about solar flares ASAP after they happen because there is alot of unknowns when dealing with solar flares). Third, they can induce earthquakes (still a subjective claim).

Yes they can, but only if they are over a certain magnitude. Anything below that is entirely absorbed or deflected by the earths magnetic shield. Before you post any thread such as this, regarding solar flare, you must therefore know this threshold. Do you know it?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Yes they can, but only if they are over a certain magnitude. Anything below that is entirely absorbed or deflected by the earths magnetic shield. Before you post any thread such as this, regarding solar flare, you must therefore know this threshold. Do you know it?

Wrong, that depends on the strength of the CME not the flare. Even an M class flare can unleash a devastating CME that could mess with the power grid. The bigger the flare, the higher the chance of such a CME. We will not know the strength of the CME for several hours, when we do I'll update the thread. X class flares are the largest, meaning they carry a high chance of large CME's, when earth directed they can cause problems.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KevinB

Good catch, comments. Thanks.

S&F&

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ok... I just have one question about CME's and Solar flares. At what point should I be building a Faraday cage for my Iphone and PC?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KevinB

Just checked Spaceweather and nothing says anything about an X class flare!!!!!!!

reply to post by KevinB

Just checked Spaceweather and nothing says anything about an X class flare!!!!!!!

I apologize, the info is on Weatherspace.com. Oppps:
edit on 9/6/2011 by BlindSided because: I was wrong.

edit on 9/6/2011 by BlindSided because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by KevinB

Spaceweather.com is reporting an X-2 Class Flare with incoming CME
Goes x-ray flux

What worries me about this type of flare, while it may not actually be strong enough to affect power grids, and will only have a minor impact on radio signals, it could easily induce more large earthquakes and I think we all can agree that we don't need anymore of those.
edit on 6-9-2011 by KevinB because: (no reason given)

The evidence is out there, for example:

...Researchers say they have found a close link between electrical disturbances on the edge of our atmosphere and impending quakes on the ground below.

...One study looked at over 100 earthquakes with magnitudes of 5.0 or larger in Taiwan over several decades. The researchers found that almost all of the earthquakes down to a depth of about 35km were preceded by distinct electrical disturbances in the ionosphere. The analysis was carried out by Jann-Yeng Liu, from the Center for Space and Remote Sensing Research in Chung-Li, Taiwan. Demeter satellite (CNES) A satellite warning system could monitor for quake "precursors" Though full details have yet to be released, the BBC understands that scientists also observed a "huge" signal in the ionosphere before the Magnitude 7.8 earthquake in China on 12 May. ...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindSided
reply to post by KevinB

Look at the goes x-ray flux indicator on the left of the page

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

You have the cause and effect reversed.
The theory is that stresses in the Earth produce disturbances in the ionosphere. There is nothing in there about solar activity causing earthquakes.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Not X class but M.

"EARTH-DIRECTED FLARE: This morning at 0150 UT, sunspot 1283 produced an M5.3 solar flare. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the flash of extreme ultraviolet radiation"

Check your facts here: Space Weather

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Froggy55

A solar flare is no danger to your PC or Iphone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join