It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katia to hit UK on 11-12 of September?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Updates :

www.wunderground.com...

The hurricane will possible touch the extreme North of the UK, so no big danger here. Still expected to be a category 1 hurricane.

It's physically impossible for it to be a hurricane, unless the Atantic warms up a lot very fast

(a hurricane/tropical cyclone has a specific definition)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well, it is a hurtricane now and this storm will still be category one equivalent when hits Scotland. Anyways, this hurricane season could be quite interesting ..

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

It's only just hit Bermuda..

By the time it has been slung across the North Atlantic, it won't be a hurricane. It may have hurricance-force winds, but thats not the same thing.

A lot of our wet and windy weather in the autumn is produced by Hurrican remnants being carried by the jet stream towards us.

It's not really anything new or anything to be overly concerned about.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Here is a good link to Katia's current and forcasted track:

ukweather.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Possible Irene remnant winds delayed my flight back from Copenhagen to Heathrow yesterday.
Flight was about an hour late leaving the gate and we had to do 5 circuits over Kent as aircraft were stacked up waiting to land. The pilot told us over the intercom that we'd be hitting heavy headwinds at cruising altitude and that winds of around 70mph were hampering air traffic over SE England at around 2000ft. Sure was a bit bumpy on the descent too and by the time we landed there was monsoon-like rain at Heathrow and other parts of West / Northwest London causing flooding problems.

I also remember the 87 storm. Only the aftermath though as alcohol aided sleep had me oblivious to it until I woke up the following morning, opened the kitchen window blind only to see leaves inched from the window. A huge limb had come off the big oak tree in the garden and missed the house by just a few inches.
I was still half asleep and just stood there staring in that hazy daze until it registered properly.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I missed the Great Storm of '87. I was in Germany at the time

I do remember that the 'Allo 'Allo star got his head bashed in by a flying bit of tree though.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Britguy

I missed the Great Storm of '87. I was in Germany at the time

I do remember that the 'Allo 'Allo star got his head bashed in by a flying bit of tree though.

I am sure Rene's incident was another night as I was working at the end of the runway by the Green Man pub in Feltham when it happened.. that was 89 or 90 can't quite remember the year.

I do remember I didn't go home and spent the night in a boiler room on some cardboard.. *shudders* pretty vivid memory as I woke to find cockroaches crawling all over me *shudders*

ETA it was the Burns Day Storm of 1990.. was nearly right (for a change
)
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7/9/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

That wasn't a hurricane

Oh, well what do I know eh?

All I do know is that I wasn't even alive when "the big storm" hit and It's always been referred to as a hurricane. When I searched for it before posting It was even referred to as a hurricane then as well thus why I did the same..

But hey, thanks for clearing this up ofc.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Rising Against because: I failed

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters

Originally posted by Anonymouth

Originally posted by Romanian
Updates :

www.wunderground.com...

The hurricane will possible touch the extreme North of the UK, so no big danger here. Still expected to be a category 1 hurricane.

Yeah London is fine, nothing to worry about.

Typical English mentality.

The computer trajectory is now putting it even more over Scotland than it did yesterday. They will feel this.

Chances are, power outages for sure.

Hurricane Katia
Mon, Sep 12, 2011 08:00 EDT
Wind: 120 km/h
Gusts: 148 km/h
lat, lon: 60, -8

Nothing to worry about, just 120 km/h winds and 148 km/h gusts over scotland,

BUT LONDON IS FINE!.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

Let's hope Scotland takes a battering, might make your nasty country look a bit better.

I take it you've never been to Scotland. Its got some of the nicest scenery in the British Isles, but dont let that get in the way of your prejudice's

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm rather looking forward to it...The howling winds will make a nice addition to the howling of the locals.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

Don't know where you got your info, but it seems Scotland MAY have gust of up to 113km/h. Thats not even enough to ruffle a kilt

Scotland is well used to extreme weather..oh yes, did you know they have mucho snow (and ski slopes) every year?

One more thing...It's one of the most beautiful countries on this planet!

Peace
edit on 9-9-2011 by MissConstrood because: oops, spelling

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hey All,

Firstly the storm of '87 wasn't a Hurricane, that's the media spin to sell news...it was a nasty storm but not a Hurricane, trust me you'd know if it was a hurricane.

Katia is a Hurricane but it WONT be when it hits the UK. It will be an extratropical storm. Basically a bad winter storm but in September. Recent GFS runs show it skirting the NW of Scotland, which will be the worst areas affected. Scotland on the whole will be pretty miserable on Sunday night into Monday morning especially. Anywhere south of the Lake District in England will only have a gusty day with rain showers, nothing abnormal for Autumn.

The worst of the weather will be near the centre of the LP, the outer hebridies, shetland, faroes etc. Winds will probably gust to about 80mph, maybe slightly more in exposed areas but its nothing to write home about.

Imagine its the dead of winter and its a blizzards outside, that's what i'll be like minus the snow!

Oh and as a side note, the remnants of Irene passed through on Tuesday, but if you knew anything about the weather you'd realised that it had nothing to do with Irene. Irene, like all hurricanes, as they cross the Atlantic create primary and secondary Low Pressure systems that actually aren't the remnants of the original hurricane, this is what we have currently. The deep pressure of the original Hurricane provides the conditions for other LP systems to form!
edit on 9/9/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/9/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissConstrood
reply to post by Anonymouth

Don't know where you got your info, but it seems Scotland MAY have gust of up to 113km/h. Thats not even enough to ruffle a kilt

Scotland is well used to extreme weather..oh yes, did you know they have mucho snow (and ski slopes) every year?

One more thing...It's one of the most beautiful countries on this planet!

Peace
edit on 9-9-2011 by MissConstrood because: oops, spelling

Couldnt agree more with you! I'm not phased one bit and i will still be going to work with my 'kilt' on and hiking into the Cairngorms in the evening!!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I remember the storm of 87 I was a wee waine living in london & saw all the huge trees uprooted. It wasnt called a hurricane at the time it was reported as gail force winds

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
here's another place to track Katia..

www.weather.com...

it shows all active storms, and from the track should still be packing 70mph winds on the 11th, but looks to be heading a bit north of the UK..

Check out that track, what a heck of a storm, hoping that it fizzles out and you folks across the pond are spared from any damage

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hopefully it'll die down a bit by the time it arrives but even if it doesn't I don't expect many problems.

Some property damage, coastal flooding and inconvenience.

Wet and windy we can cope with. No cause for alarm.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
FAIL!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Hey there Rising against. It says on your avatar you are in the Doncaster area. My family lives in Pontefract, you would be so kind as to keep me updated wouldn't you? My brothers won't call me, I'm the high strung, over paranoid sister.....!
If you wouldn't mind letting me know that everything is ok down your end I would be forever indebted
Cheers. I'm gonna friend you too because your so close to home.
I know your'e British and you don't need a well wish to stay safe but stay safe anyway...stiff upper lip and all that! I'm here in upstate NY and although Irene barely touched my home there are people within a few miles who have lost everything. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again. MG.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

Hey there.

Of course I'd give you regular updates, I'd be happy to in fact.. I just sent you a quick PM as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join