It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katia to hit UK on 11-12 of September?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I guess this is something to watch for the next few days:

www.wunderground.com...

The hurricane briefly reached category 4, however the predicted path and category brings it close to the UK while category appears to remain at one. I wonder if UK ever had a hurricane before?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

I wonder if UK ever had a hurricane before?

The only one I can think of it the one from 1987 - obviously not a long time ago now:

1987: Hurricane winds batter southern England

Southern Britain has begun a massive clear-up operation after the worst night of storms in living memory.

At least 13 people are known to have died and many dozens have been injured, mostly by falling trees and buildings.
(Source)

So It's not exactly un-heard of but still quite rare. If this new one hits then It'll be the first I've seen in my lifetime.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Whether This is relevant or not, Here in Suffolk, It's pretty damn windy!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The bad weather you have now in the UK could be the "remains" of the Hurricane Irene, the last one to hit NY.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

very windy in cornwall too, our garden table was halfway up the garden this morning when i let the dog out!
Shouldnt be too bad though the walls of the house are three feet thick and made of granite, should stay up me thinks!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I'm in the UK and will not be worrying about this one at all.
Judging by its trajectory I reckon it may only JUST scrape the tip of Scotland if at all; possibly the edge of Iceland. Otherwise it's out to sea.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

Well, this is why I would say it is good to watch out for the next few days. I hope the trajectory will be out as you said.

I managed to find the 1987 data, Wikipedia has a page on the subject:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Yes. Always prudent to watch.We do get some pretty exceptional gales here come late autumn/winter, that's for sure.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
As a curiosity find , after reading about the 1987 UK storm

The Great Storm of 1987 occurred on the night of 15/16 October 1987, when an unusually strong weather system caused winds to hit much of southern England and northern France.

, I found this one:

en.wikipedia.org...

In finance, Black Monday refers to Monday October 19, 1987, when stock markets around the world crashed, shedding a huge value in a very short time.

I guess 1987 was a hard year! Any-ways, not suggesting anything , just interesting find..

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Updates :

www.wunderground.com...

The hurricane will possible touch the extreme North of the UK, so no big danger here. Still expected to be a category 1 hurricane.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Updates :

www.wunderground.com...

The hurricane will possible touch the extreme North of the UK, so no big danger here. Still expected to be a category 1 hurricane.

Yeah London is fine, nothing to worry about.

Typical English mentality.

The computer trajectory is now putting it even more over Scotland than it did yesterday. They will feel this.

Chances are, power outages for sure.

Hurricane Katia
Mon, Sep 12, 2011 08:00 EDT
Wind: 120 km/h
Gusts: 148 km/h
lat, lon: 60, -8

Nothing to worry about, just 120 km/h winds and 148 km/h gusts over scotland,

BUT LONDON IS FINE!.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Even if it does come here, we are British, not American. That means we wont be running around like headless chickens making a song and dance of a storm. We'll just get on with it, like we always do.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Swanfilters because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters
Even if it does come here, we are British, not American. That means we wont be running around like headless chickens making a song and dance of a storm. We'll just get on with it, like we always do.

Yeah lol just like you do in Winter snow.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymouth

Originally posted by Romanian
Updates :

www.wunderground.com...

Yeah London is fine, nothing to worry about.

Typical English mentality.

The computer trajectory is now putting it even more over Scotland than it did yesterday. They will feel this.

Chances are, power outages for sure.

Hurricane Katia
Mon, Sep 12, 2011 08:00 EDT
Wind: 120 km/h
Gusts: 148 km/h
lat, lon: 60, -8

Nothing to worry about, just 120 km/h winds and 148 km/h gusts over scotland,

BUT LONDON IS FINE!.

Let's hope Scotland takes a battering, might make your nasty country look a bit better.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Swanfilters

It aint my country lol, nothing will make it look better until they stop eating Haggis and fish and chips.

You did mention batter

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymouth
reply to post by Swanfilters

It aint my country lol, nothing will make it look better until they stop eating Haggis and fish and chips.

You did mention batter

...?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I slept through the last one that ripped through here pulling up all the trees

Tho I do send safe wishes to any part of these isles struck by this.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I remember the 1987 Hurricane. We had flooding here on the suffolk coast. As a kid I thought it was great fun seeing our front garden resembling an outdoor pool!

Hope this one blows itself out rather than escalating in power.

Thanks OP for the alert. First I heard of this.

Anyone who might be hit by this one, hope you got a few supplies in - just incase - and wishing you a safe storm!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

I wonder if UK ever had a hurricane before?

The only one I can think of it the one from 1987 - obviously not a long time ago now:

1987: Hurricane winds batter southern England
lifetime.

That wasn't a hurricane
Though I think it may have developed from the remnant of a tropical cyclone. The winds were down to a sting jet - something altogether different (Michael Fish was pretty good with his forecast that night, and the hurricane comment didn't refer to Britain)

There have however been a few tropical cyclones that have kept themselves more or less together rather than merging with developing Atlantic systems, and reached Britain (albeit still as extratropical cyclones - NOT hurricanes) and there have been plenty of Atlantic storms that have produced hurricane strength winds, mainly over the Hebrides or Northern Isles.

ex-Katia looks at the moment like it might prove the former. Best estimates are that it'll affect the NW of Scotand, especially the Hebrides, on Monday. Winds won't be at all unusual for the area, though perhaps stronger than normal for the time of year.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The 87 one around here is known as the Great Storm.. never thought of it as anything other than a storm.. tho not the worst one I've been through (mostly because I slept through that one
)

The worst one was spending 21 hours stuck in storm on the Ferry Senlac in the Channel
and even then I spent most of the time sleeping on the deck
I guess when a storm comes I seem to follow the same pattern.. time to snooze

<<   2  3 >>

join