It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Possibilians are better than wishy-washy Agnostics and MUCH better than poop-flinging Athiests

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
reply to post by Kadmiel

Atheist: A person who denies the claims of theists of a magical creator of everything.
Agnostic: A person who is unsure about the claims of theists for a magical creator, but is open to the possibility that their claims might be true.

I see nothing wrong with these definitions. King is an Atheist. Just my two cents worth. I'll go back to being the neutral party.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

I find atheist like to use to many words.

atheism and theism deal with believing in god or not

agnostism deals with knowing god to be real

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Then what to you call a person who does claim there is no god since the term atheism is taken up by the people who believes its a possibility but needs proof first.

I believe there are many forms of agnosticism. I for example I believe the god defined by the bible does not in fact exist, but as far as a god existing in other forms I just do not know and I am ok with that. I am on a journey of discovery and the journey is more important than the final decision of what I believe to be true.

Not all agnostics share that same view point, but a variation on it. Not all have ruled out the god of the bible completely out. Some believe its possible to eventually know, others say its impossible to ever ever know. Some say I do not believe at this very moment, but I am open to the possibilities. Still, all fall under the category of agnostic.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint

That is precisely the point I was trying to make. My initial comment was that the article misrepresents Atheists and promotes the logical fallacy that we claim god doesn't exist, which we do not.

We don't believe in it until proven otherwise, but to make an absolute claim without evidence has only been the job of the thiest up until this point.

There is a difference between belief and truth....

I'm glad at least one person understands.

Thank you.

King
edit on 6-9-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

Then what to you call a person who does claim there is no god since the term atheism is taken up by the people who believes its a possibility but needs proof first.

The simplest term? An idiot.

Substitute "god" for Batman, Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Dragons, Trolls (non-internet related), Fairies, Goblins, etc. etc. etc. and make the claim of absoulute truth that they "do not exist" and you will be trying to prove a negative, which is impossible and just silly. However, for a believer to claim that is is absolutely true that they do exist and provide no evidence what so ever as to their existence is just as silly.

It's easy to make any character up if he only speaks to you in your head, never shows himself and expects you to do as he says, we call those people crazy. Unfortunately when it is tied to religious practices, rituals and indoctrination of children, the lunacy is hard to squash.

There is a difference between holding a personal belief reliant on evidence and a whole other issue when an individual makes the claim that this baseless belief is absolutely true.

King
edit on 6-9-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
You cannot define people as they see them selfs.
Atheist, agnostic etc. since every one is diffirent and for me beign agnostic means that i do belive in higher power but i will never subscribe to any religion since these are manipulated thru the ages for personal gain of few.

thats my view and i call my self agnostic

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If by poop you mean reason and logic then I suppose I can see the problem with atheists.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

You are confusing Gnosticism with Agnosticism..

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

then tell me the diffrence

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Gnostics hold the title of "knowing" (or so they claim) the answers to big questions like 'Does god exist?'.. along with others of course.

Agnostics are at the other other end of the spectrum with thousand variations of 'Not knowing, Not sure, Not enough information, Not capable of understanding' the answers to big questions -yet- if at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I've been labled a "atheist" and once long time ago a "believer". Possiblian fits much better. I stand by my posts where I say their is no reason to believe any current religeons. I also do not claim to know if their is a god or not. I'll take possibilian all day long.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
As an athiest I don't claim there is NO GOD, I am open to the possibility, I simply don't believe in it until proven otherwise.

Don't you just love it when people tell you what you believe?
Good posts. Unfortunately, they are flying over heads.

Originally posted by satron
I'm not seeing the difference between a Possibilian and an Agnostic,

I'm not seeing the difference between a "Possibilian" and an atheist.
I'm an atheist, and I am open to a boatload of possibilities.

Everyone please read this:

agnostism deals with knowing...

Theism is BELIEF.
Gnosticism is KNOWLEDGE.

I am an agnostic atheist. I don't BELIEVE (atheist) in a god, but we cannot KNOW (Agnostic) if there is one or not.

Originally posted by calstorm
Then what to you call a person who does claim there is no god...

A Gnostic Atheist. Just as a person who says definitively that there IS a god is a Gnostic Theist.

Some say I do not believe at this very moment, but I am open to the possibilities. Still, all fall under the category of agnostic.

If they DO NOT BELIEVE, they are atheist. That's what the word means. Most atheists are agnostic atheists. (don't KNOW, but don't believe)

It's video time!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kadmiel

So when a mother claims she heard god tell her to kill her children to save them from hell....

You would have nothing to counter her delusions with because "anythings possible".

Very very very very stupid.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inquisitive1

Gnostics hold the title of "knowing" (or so they claim) the answers to big questions like 'Does god exist?'.. along with others of course.

Agnostics are at the other other end of the spectrum with thousand variations of 'Not knowing, Not sure, Not enough information, Not capable of understanding' the answers to big questions -yet- if at all.

okay ya I should have wrote knowing god or not

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Serious question here, If what you say is true that atheist’s do not claim there is no god, then what are the ones who claim there is no god called. I’ve always known them to be athiests.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I think by poop flinging he means fans of the 3 atheist priests.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hmmmmm, interesting comments here.

The atheists I know are just as closed minded as religion-ists, refusing to think outside of the box.
I think religion has been misconstrued and overcomplicated greatly, but I still believe in God. I don't claim to know exactly what he wants (who could?), but I do know what he probably doesn't want (murdering, stealing, abuse?).
I believe in evolution, and the "big bang." But as someone I can't recall the name of once said, I just think I know who banged it. (:

"Possibilian" seems like a good title for me. I think someone's description of gnostic theist might fit pretty well too.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Reply to post by Kadmiel

The title reads like a line out of Doctor Seuss.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Reply to post by Kadmiel

The title reads like a line out of Doctor Seuss.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

what would you say if I were to offer you a way to prove to yourself that the spiritual and God are real?
Please look at a reply that I posted in the thread "what do you believe". in it is the way I found and it worked for me. hope you give it a try, steve

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join