It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Mind-Blowing Ways Zombies and Vampires Explain America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Vampires are popular during democratic administrations and Zombies are popular during republican administrations.
I head this little piece of cultural trivia in the past but never bothered to check up on it.
Well fortunately the people over at Cracked have written a fine article on this bizarre and telling cultural trend.

Enjoy and Discuss

Night of the Living Dead shambled into cinemas during the Nixon era. Carter gave us two adaptations of Dracula. See that massive red spike in the '80s? That's when conservative superhero Ronald Reagan occupied the highest office, and a Night of the Living Dead remake, one sequel, two Return of the Living Dead movies and Reanimator occupied the cinemas. Then Clinton gave us Anne Rice. The connection is confirmed by academics who study the subject.

LINK TO ARTICLE

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Hmmm a hidden message perhaps?

Are we 'The Walking Dead'???

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I thought you were going to make the case that the politicians are the vampires, sucking us dry. Meanwhile, we are the zombies who work, work, work, and never get ahead, only to vote the vampires back into office. Bummer.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I dont know how to post the picture but halfway down this page is a great movie marquee that captures the sentiment of this thread perfectly. I actually have the Lampoon's book that it was in

www.fark.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
this post needs some "wake the dead" noise so here it is www.youtube.com...
i hope this wakes up the dead
as far vamps and zombies, we all are in one way or an other.zombies : take msm for its word with out question Vamps take the hopes and dreams out of you, and then make you work for dimes , not dollars

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I thought you were going to make the case that the politicians are the vampires, sucking us dry. Meanwhile, we are the zombies who work, work, work, and never get ahead, only to vote the vampires back into office. Bummer.

Hmm that's a very interesting way of looking at it.
Nice analogy it would make a great thread in it's own.

edit on 6-9-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

That actually brings us full circle, with what these fears have in common. Specifically, that both zombies and vampires have the ability to turn our children, friends and people we love into one of them. And we'll be next.

Read more: 6 Mind-Blowing Ways Zombies and Vampires Explain America | Cracked.com www.cracked.com...

That's the most terrifying concept of all, that this other point of view that we find so ridiculous and inhuman is somehow contagious, that if exposed to it we might be forced to see the world their way, whether we like it or not. And neither a vampire or a zombie can be cured -- once converted, you never go back. And that's why they must be destroyed.

Read more: 6 Mind-Blowing Ways Zombies and Vampires Explain America | Cracked.com www.cracked.com...

To be honest - That bit, right there, is the most relevant point made in the whole ordeal. Honestly, I think of liberals to be more zombie-like than vampire-like... but whatever. Vampires were cool until a book written with all the literary finesse of a 14-year-old's blog became popular and made them sparkle in the sunlight. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Talk about zombies and mindless consumerism.

Zombies have managed to maintain their cool/fear-factor, at least.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Off Topic Sorry
edit on 6-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

Outstanding article, thanks for linking. It's a bummer because I always identify with vampires yet I love zombie movies way more. Does that make me a liberal who finds entertainment in watching conservatives? I guess that makes sense, actually.
I enjoy being the sexy minority.

I hope people take this article as a bash on both and that the thread doesn't simply degrade into a vampire/zombie/left/right/liberal/conservative/democrat/republican brawl.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing!
2nd.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I love vampires, us conspiracy theorists are vampires. We suck up every bit of information we can get. The "zombies" are the sleeping sheeple, they keep walking around thinking they know everything and they know nothing. I hope that helps, just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hmm guess I should have followed my instincts and posted this originally in the Jokes forum or general Chit Chat instead of Political Madness. I had a feeling it would end up here at some point.
Though the article is humorous and related to a comedy website it is dealing with a sociological phenomena that is tied to the political climate of the country oh well.............
guess the jokes on me

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
Hmm guess I should have followed my instincts and posted this originally in the Jokes forum or general Chit Chat instead of Political Madness. I had a feeling it would end up here at some point.
Though the article is humorous and related to a comedy website it is dealing with a sociological phenomena that is tied to the political climate of the country oh well.............
guess the jokes on me

That's a bit alarming and makes me rethink the moderators. If they can't see past the web domain and into the actual content, then what else are they misinterpreting on the forums?

This was a very insightful article about which ideologies cling on to which pop cultural phenomenons.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Cuervo because: I figured out one of my questions.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Now I wish I had put this thread in general chit chat knowing that It would not stay in political madness.
At least in general chit chat it would stick to being more of a conversation on the topic at hand instead of just being looked at as a silly "HA HA" joke thread

I did not intend it to be a humor thread.
I was going more for a sociological angle with this topic.

edit on 6-9-2011 by ELahrairah because: had more to say

new topics

top topics

join