It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Two Versions of the Story behind Mexico's 'Twitter Terrorists'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The Two Versions of the Story behind Mexico's 'Twitter Terrorists'

www.tmcnet.com

Can you be prosecuted for “inciting violence” if you're merely re-Tweeting something? What if the Tweet is false? Can you be prosecuted for spreading false information and inciting riots?

Two individuals in Mexico – a private school teacher and a radio broadcaster – are potentially looking at 30-year prison terms under anti-terrorism laws for allegedly using Twitter (News - Alert) to spread panic over a series of child kidnappings that turned out to be fictional.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.tgdaily.com
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Lawyers for Vera and Pagola maintain that the two were merely re-Tweeting information that had been sent to them, not trying to cause mass panic.

Said Pagola through her lawyer, “How can they possibly do this to me, for re-tweeting a message? I mean, it's 140 characters. It's not logical.”

Britain too blamed social media for its class riots that occurred last month saying that the riots were too easily organized via the free flow of information. One week later, two UK men were arrested for attempting to provoke riots through the use of Facebook and found guilty, which led to a four-year prison sentence for each.

Now Mexico... I wounder how long before we have those same laws in the US???

www.tmcnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Exactly why I don't ever use Twitter. It's becoming an easy way to spread fear to a massive amount of people. OP, I also heard somewhere that the rioters also used twitter to organize where they would hit.

Another thing I have seen twtter used for is when Anon is bored and they want to try and spread the rumor of a celeb has died.

new topics

join