It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with a Child Protection Software advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Anyone know any good software programs that are used for parental control? My niece is living with me and she's autistic, but she likes to travel every where on the internet. I tried to do the windows block, but the way I have it set up, it blocked her from all the Microsoft games and the BigFishGames. I don't mind her playing those. And I don't mind her going on yahoo to play the math education and checking her mail to see what mail she got from her dad.

But, I made her own computer account on the computer, and I'm not sure how to change the settings on the internet explorer for children without her changing the permission, like undoing what I restrict. She acts clueless, but I know she's smarter than that.

I have her set up on 1 hour allocated time for good behavior and chore duty and will release more time when she's good and does chores, but will lose time when she's bad. I think with that set up she will understand, how to be a good girl vs throwing a tantrum and how to do chores, vs. I can't do that all the time. I think that will get her motivated, since she like using the computer. That she earns the use of the computer. She 15 with the mindset of a 5 year old.

When she does something I don't have to tell her to do, like shut the lights off, clean your bedroom, or vacuum the floors: She gains a star [1 hour time on computer]

When she throws her tantrums of I'm not doing this, and you have to repeat what you say like 10x, and she has selective hearing: [She loses an 1hr time]

If she does something while I'm gone away at school and completes a chore without me telling her: [I will let her choose the allocated hour time that she wants on the computer]

This is all per day but, I need help with a parental control set up. If there is like any good software to use?

Thanks

edit on 6-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Usually I am against parental control systems and such. But given what you described above I think its a great idea and why not

www.webwatchernow.com...

That is a link to a parental control software site. I just did a quick Google search and tons showed up, that is just one of the more popular ones. You will probably need to purchase software for this, but it will mean constant updates and bug fixes. You can schedule internet usage and program times and such.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
use opendns as your dns settings so it will stop alot of the dodgy sites but the best thing i can recommend is the actual use of your physical presence as no software will ever stop nasty stuff getting through so if something does get through you can immeditaely explain it away

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Download Firfox and install the parental control add on. Here is a link to the site explaining what it does and how it works. Source Good luck.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Download Firfox and install the parental control add on. Here is a link to the site explaining what it does and how it works. Source Good luck.

Okay, thanks. would I install the firfox on her account or the administrator account?

Lol, I installed it, but now I can't find it.
Child proof alright.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Okay, thanks. would I install the firfox on her account or the administrator account?

Lol, I installed it, but now I can't find it.
Child proof alright.

Go to tools in the menu bar and select addons. It should be in there.

Actually it should just appear under tools now that I think of it.
edit on 9/6/2011 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

link   

Firefox has a couple of addons which may do the job:

addons.mozilla.org...
addons.mozilla.org...
addons.mozilla.org...
addons.mozilla.org...

Highly recommended reading the instructions.

link   
Double post!
edit on 9/6/2011 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You may not care to install a Linux system, but Ubuntu has a Christian Edition called Ubuntu CE witch blocks all controversial sites. This would replace your Microsoft Windows unless you install it inside Windows as an application. It's pretty simple to do it this way, just download the live-cd image and burn it to a disk (cd) with Nero or ImgBurn. Then when it's complete, just close the cd-rom with the cd in it. A dialog will come up that will allow you to add Ubuntu CE as an application inside windows. You would then have to make sure that she uses Ubuntu instead of Windows. It's not a good suggestion, but a suggestion none-the-less.

I had a similar problem with one of my children before the Firefox add-on came out. You pretty much have to buy Parental Control Software, and if you don't like it you're stuck with it. I tried a large number of the so-called free ones, but none were satisfactory (at least for me)...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Okay thanks. Right now I'm using the verity child monitoring software. That's free and gives me screen shots of where she hangs out, plus it logs me and my sister.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Glad you worked it out. When I first started using computers, I didn't think there would be so many problems. You have to monitor both sides sometimes and it's a hassle. I was reading a security blog yesterday, and the guy claims to be a nobody, just an average guy. In the article which was from 2005, he's trying to advise people about firewalls and such. Anyway, his firewall logs all attempts to log in to his computer from outside sources over the internet. His log the day of the article, in an eight hour period had 130 attempts. That's crazy!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant

Glad you worked it out. When I first started using computers, I didn't think there would be so many problems. You have to monitor both sides sometimes and it's a hassle. I was reading a security blog yesterday, and the guy claims to be a nobody, just an average guy. In the article which was from 2005, he's trying to advise people about firewalls and such. Anyway, his firewall logs all attempts to log in to his computer from outside sources over the internet. His log the day of the article, in an eight hour period had 130 attempts. That's crazy!

130?? wow that is crazy

I gave her two hours this morning, before I went to school, because she cleaned her room last night, but I came home today, and nothing was done. So, she got no computer time. She has to play on her playstation now if she wants to be lazy all day. She takes after her mother. Which makes it double harder to work with her to have her do 1 thing a day. All it is , excuses of why neither one of the can do this nor that .... OMG. Going to be bald by the end of the year. Both of them, they want to play on the internet all day and do nothing. Driving me nuts.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Parenting truly is a tough job. You have to make tough decisions, and then stick with them. It doesn't end when they reach majority either, it just changes somewhat. My two natural sons are now 30 and 28 years old. They still need their dad sometimes, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Once you get used to being a parent, it seems as though you feel the need to be needed in that capacity. I have step-children from other marriages who oftentimes look to me as a father-figure. I'm not sure what I would do without "children", but It would probably affect my sense of purpose in life. Good luck with yours...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Parenting truly is a tough job. You have to make tough decisions, and then stick with them. It doesn't end when they reach majority either, it just changes somewhat. My two natural sons are now 30 and 28 years old. They still need their dad sometimes, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Once you get used to being a parent, it seems as though you feel the need to be needed in that capacity. I have step-children from other marriages who oftentimes look to me as a father-figure. I'm not sure what I would do without "children", but It would probably affect my sense of purpose in life. Good luck with yours...

lol, this is just reenforcing the fact that I will never have kids. HAHA
I like the quiet life with me and my buddy (dog).

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

His log the day of the article, in an eight hour period had 130 attempts. That's crazy!

130 attempts is nothing really theres alot of malware that just scans blocks of ip addresses looking for machines that are not protected....and if the firewall has blocked it then you are in no danger

top topics

join