It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(What-If ) What happens if you give nukes to Taiwan...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Well, I'd say that nukes so far has served as a good deterent against powerful nations clashing against each other directly. Certainly, no leaders in their right mind would want risk a nuclear war.. Because its a lose all situation (assuming both nations can strike each other).

However, I think that the Chinese can be determined/stuborn (different word for the same thing really) at time.

Now if Taiwan gets hold of nuclear weapons or becomes a nuclear power (purely fictional), do you think that they would immediately declare independence (thinking that China wouldn't dare risk -so- much.. after all wiping the island would "at best" kill ~23 millions whereas a nuclear retaliation from Taiwan would hurt heck of a lot more even though its a lose lose situation)?

And if they do (declare independence), do you think that:

1) It'll be the end of the world as we know it.
2) War is -prevented- because not even the chinese would risk that much.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
how come u get such a horrible idea.
the most probable result is that the time Taiwan have its first warhead,china(the chinesemainland) will strike first and sweep out all the military facilities that may strike back,(after all,Taiwan is such a small island)
actually,there WAS a nuclear plan in Taiwan,it was when Jiang Jieshi(or his son) ruled the island,he wanted to fight back to the chinesemainland .but the US didn't want to risk a nuclearwar,so they didn't support it(or they breached it)and of course it failed.
if Taiwan doesn't declare independence,there will never be a war in the Taiwan strait.if without other country's support,the Taiwan leader will never declare independence.nuke is never a good way to keep peace.(at least in the Taiwan Strait) .if there was a war(and even the confrotation now),china(the chinesemainland+Taiwan) will be the greatest loser.
I really don't want to see the chinese fight another civil war.but I fear that someone is glad to see it.

new topics

join