It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharper Apollo moon views unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

NASA has released new high-resolution views of the Apollo moon landing sites, sent back by Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. "These are pictures of the Apollo 17, Apollo 14, Apollo 12 landing sites, giving us the clearest view of where the astronauts went, where they sampled, where they conducted scientific experiments on the lunar surface," Noah Petro, a member of the LRO science team from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, said in a video featuring the new imagery.

Source:

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

From Nasa

www.nasa.gov...

Cool stuff. Although, there will be those who cry photoshop, etc bla bla.
Fine. This is a conspiracy theory forum. So all debatable. Either way cool images.

Did we go to the moon? This says we did.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I would love to embed the video...but...can't so here's a link to that as well:

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
More here:
asunews.asu.edu...

edit on 9/6/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage.

I wonder how long it will be before we have good enough tech to see them from here.
That would be cool.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

As I recall, all it would take would be a mirror about 300 meters across to have the required angular resolution.
No big deal.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The Apollo 17 Lunar Experiments photos have no stars in the background and an weird looking pitch black sky, I've never been to the moon but I would guess there would be stars in the sky.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Strange. No stars here either. Must not be from Earth.
www.landscape-photo.net...

edit on 9/6/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Man, that must of been such a rush to float around on the moon...
It must of been a bigger rush to know that the slightest mishap can end your life.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
The Apollo 17 Lunar Experiments photos have no stars in the background and an weird looking pitch black sky, I've never been to the moon but I would guess there would be stars in the sky.

Compared to the amount of light in a daylight pic from apollo 17 experiments, it would almost be impossible for the old cameras to see stars in the background. The moons surface is soooo bright. The irises would not be open enough to focus on the ground and let in light from the stars. But I've never been there either.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper

Originally posted by mileslong54

Compared to the amount of light in a daylight pic from apollo 17 experiments, it would almost be impossible for the old cameras to see stars in the background. The moons surface is soooo bright. The irises would not be open enough to focus on the ground and let in light from the stars. But I've never been there either.

True. But the sheer brightness of the moon means a fast shutter speed would be required. To see the stars in photos (which are much, much fainter than the foreground) a long exposure would be required which would make the foreground appear white and washed out. As they were there to study the moon the stars didn't matter. We can see them from Earth after all.

For the record I haven't been there either, so it could all be hogwash

edit on 6/9/2011 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The moon in full HD close ups.

manually set it to 1080p for the best quality.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Useful tool for observing the moon

sourceforge.net...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Thanks for the link!!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper

NASA has released new high-resolution views of the Apollo moon landing sites, sent back by Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. "These are pictures of the Apollo 17, Apollo 14, Apollo 12 landing sites, giving us the clearest view of where the astronauts went, where they sampled, where they conducted scientific experiments on the lunar surface," Noah Petro, a member of the LRO science team from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, said in a video featuring the new imagery.

Source:

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

www.nasa.gov...

Cool stuff. Although, there will be those who cry photoshop, etc bla bla.
Fine. This is a conspiracy theory forum. So all debatable. Either way cool images.

Did we go to the moon? This says we did.

[/quote

I believe that the LMs were landed unmanned and represent military equipment, LRRRs, listeners, transmitters.
From NASA.

edit on 11-10-2011 by cannotfoolme because: original post wound up in the middle of quote, moved down

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
sometimes i find myself wondering if this is really the best we can get with all the might of our technology

and we call ourselves advanced

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
sometimes i find myself wondering if this is really the best we can get with all the might of our technology

and we call ourselves advanced

i think you are right..after all...i believe we can do better than this ..this is really unsatisfying at least to me

and they call people names if they try to recognize structures on mars etc

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey Phage, a pic from the space station, with stars in it...haha.

msnbcmedia.msn.com...

reply to post by heineken

For sure. There are as good pics of the mars rovers from space, than these things, on our own moon.

regmedia.co.uk...

i.space.com...
edit on 13-10-2011 by Demoncreeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Yes, an image in space from the night side of Earth shows stars (and the aurora).

You think this:
regmedia.co.uk...
Is better resolution than this?
wms.lroc.asu.edu...

Seriously?

edit on 10/13/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No no I don't seriously think it is better. haha....I was just being all "feed the conspiracy" like, and sarcastic, sometimes I just get in a mood.

top topics

join