It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I read about this a while ago.
Could be useful in the future if we totally screw the oceans as we seem to be doing at the moment.
Although,to extract water from rock deep in the mantle is beyond todays tech-Isn't the deepest drill shaft still in the crust of the earth?
I don't think we have got through to the mantle yet.
The water may also be filled with toxic and/or radioactive materials being so deep in the rock.
Do we even know what sort of rock is down there?-it could be uranium or other nasty stuff.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Just saying

Sounds like "fountains of the great deep"

Genesis 7:11

Just a thought.

eta, sorry explanet was by the time i found the verse already posted, beat me to it lol.
edit on 6-9-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Ya a bit odd they would call this an ocean being that it is all stored within a rock.Either way it's still interesting.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Oh for goodness sakes people.

The water isn't in some big cavern of the deep. The material it is in isn't a sponge.

The ground it is in is a type of porous rock. The water will be contained in the pores of the rock.

For an extreme example of this, put your piece of pumice in your bathroom and sink it into your filled bath tub. The water fills the pores of the rock. The rock formations in this find are not quite the same, as they aren't likely as light as pumice, but the principal is similar. Even if it is essentially sand, there is space between grains holding water just like a sand castle on the beach.

I don't see anything discussing the type of water. It isn't likely fresh water. It could be brine. Not particularly useful.
edit on 2011/9/6 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

The source says the water is locked up in rock and would just look like rocks to the eye.

If this can happen here there's no reason it couldn't happen on other planets in the solar system, Mars for example.

An intriguing idea, to be sure, and possibly could have tremendous ramifications...(for the preponderance of life in the Universe).

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Not that I'm a proponent - or even an outright believer - (and at the risk of being slightly off-topic) but would this discovery add towards the splendid "expanding planet" theory?

If this theory has any truth to it at all, I've often wondered where the extra water came from to flood this new land. Perhaps this supplies the answer? Saturated rock turned to lava by immense underground geological activity; new land, tons of water up in the atmosphere.

Just wondering...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Genesis 8:2

Now the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens had been closed, and the rain had stopped falling from the sky.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

This would not even remotely be related to that. It's just an article about the aquifer found there.

We have a large aquifer under the northwest US, but its only near enough to the surface to drill wells in one small area. I've given serious consideration to buying land near Farmers I know who went to the added expense. The water is thousands of years old and current weather has no impact. Due to that, they need not worry about water issues.

Unless this aquifer in China is useful for wells, it's just an interesting side note.

There is at least one other thread on this linked to the same article but it was likely three years or more ago. I see the article is from 2007.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide

Originally posted by XplanetX

GE 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.

So the big man invented the bidet?

And we know what a bidet is for.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

That is cool, I wonder if anything lives down there

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by XplanetX

The fountains of the deep.

PR 8:27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,

PR 8:28 when he established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,

PR 8:29 when he gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.

GE 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.

edit on 6-9-2011 by XplanetX because: (no reason given)

Yep, but oh wait. Atheists don't believe in biblical stuff, even though science is beginning to prove that alot of this stuff actually happened. Who knew? Who indeed.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshepherd2
Cool. Didn't they find a huge river under the Amazon, too? It isn't very hard for me to believe there might be a "hollow earth" - not meaning there is no core, rather, a huge complex of underground tunnels that is at least scale to our major cities.

I dont know about you but after reading the stories of hollow earth and the rivers that flow from there, it kind of makes sense - especially when you consider that ice bergs are composed of fresh water and they just turn up at the north pole region.....................one of life's fascinating questions

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide

A bit misleading title,big nonetheless.
Its not a real ocean,but the water is stored in the rock.

“It would still look like solid rock to you,” Wysession told LiveScience. “You would have to put it in the lab to find the water in it.”

S&F nice news.
So it's a bunch of wet rocks? Uhhh...boring.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Heh, nothing knew here, once again scientists taking their time to prove the Scriptures once again. There always was water beneath the earth in a huge mass like an ocean (Genesis 1:7), but most of it came up when the fountains of the deep broke up and flooded the earth (Genesis 7:11) .

Scriptures 2009 ISR
Gen 1:6 And Alahym said, “Let an expanse come to be in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.”
Gen 1:7 And Alahym made the expanse, and separated the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse. And it came to be so.

KJV
Genesis 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Genesis 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

The Scriptures 2009 ISR
Gen 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noaḥ’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of the heavens were opened.

Go watch a couple videos of Kent Hovind, and he can explain a thing or two about what could have happened.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

HAHA nice , you were thinking the same thing as me!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I hope I put this in the proper forum. this is big, people.

Scientists scanning the deep interior of Earth have found evidence of a vast water reservoir beneath eastern Asia that is at least the volume of the Arctic Ocean. The discovery marks the first time such a large body of water has found in the planet’s deep mantle. The finding, made by Michael Wysession, a seismologist at Washington University in St. Louis, and his former graduate student Jesse Lawrence, now at the University of California, San Diego, will be detailed in a forthcoming monograph to be published by the American Geophysical Union.

More on this story here: www.livescience.com...

From the Holy Bible: (KJVR)

Gen 7:11-12 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
In regards to this topic, I would like to recommend the (excellent) book "Flood" by Stephen Baxter...one of the best I've read in a while...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Why is it that almost every post has someone regurgitating some ambiguous fairy tale quote from the book of jeebus? It just blows my mind. You could have a post about pop tarts or monkey farts and eventually you'll get a bible quote.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DickGozinya
You could have a post about pop tarts or monkey farts and eventually you'll get a bible quote.

I think you'll find that monkey farts were a major issue in Noah's Ark!

edit on 6/9/11 by Insomniac because: typo

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by DickGozinya
You could have a post about pop tarts or monkey farts and eventually you'll get a bible quote.

I think you'll find that monkey farts were a major issue in Noah's Ark!

edit on 6/9/11 by Insomniac because: typo

And the true source of Global Warming! Monkey Methane!

OP,

I guess it's not really an Ocean, but it's still pretty amazing to find out just HOW watery our water planet really is

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join