It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Link to a trove of Survivalist related files

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hey people,
I don't know whether or not you know about this one. It's the Survival section of textfiles.com. There's some really good, if old, stuff there. Link here - www.textfiles.com...

Survivalism is a topic that has always been dear to my heart; it would even be in practice as well as theory, if I wasn't quite so bone idle. Still, it is heartening to see the religion of Kurt Saxon becoming mainstream in the last few years. Apparently, more and more people are realising the value of the eternal question, WWKRD. What Would Kyle Reese Do?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I love my kindle, but I bought a sony ereader this weekend because its easier to transfer pdf and word files. I loaded it with docs of of torrents and put it in the pack with a solar charger. I got everything from Carla Emery's books to things like youve listed here.
I have a regular book library ,but in the event you need to bug out I doubt heavy books will every take priority even though they contain the knowledge to up your odds. Im bugging in, but I always have a plan b, c, and d... and think about a plan e.

Yes yes, Im paranoid... lately. I live on the New Madrid now and I swear things have been weird around here the last few months. Ive been in one large scale disaster in my lifetime.. Im not making the same mistakes we did back the if we have another.
Its kinda like putting the chain lock on the door that a toddler can break along with your deadbolt, but for some reason the chain lock is the cherry on the pie that makes you feel better.
Mainly the texts are for the kids because of something happened to me, theyd have a library to consult. The first text is something along the lines of : whatever you do, dont accept FEMAs help or go to a shelter in a disaster.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

If you don't mind the extra size, I'd recommend a laptop with vim or Emacs. The files at textfiles.com are just that; plain text. I could see that format appealing a lot more to Survivalists during a SHTF scenario, due to the fact that, because they're the oldest and simplest type in existence, they also have the least dependencies, in terms of more complicated programs like acrobat being needed to read them.

One of the main things that got me interested in the UNIX operating system, was wanting to know of a system that could run on an old or very low powered computer, in the event that I needed to run in a scenario where I had minimal power available.

It's still possible to run BSD UNIX on anything from a 486 up, and the files from textfiles.com would be readable on it, too. That means that anything you're able to pull out of a dumpster, as long as the hardware still works, could run that operating system. It might not be Windows, but you could still have Internet access with it.

www.freebsd.org... if you're interested. There is documentation there as well, in the form of the Handbook.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
reply to post by Advantage

If you don't mind the extra size, I'd recommend a laptop with vim or Emacs. The files at textfiles.com are just that; plain text. I could see that format appealing a lot more to Survivalists during a SHTF scenario, due to the fact that, because they're the oldest and simplest type in existence, they also have the least dependencies, in terms of more complicated programs like acrobat being needed to read them.

One of the main things that got me interested in the UNIX operating system, was wanting to know of a system that could run on an old or very low powered computer, in the event that I needed to run in a scenario where I had minimal power available.

It's still possible to run BSD UNIX on anything from a 486 up, and the files from textfiles.com would be readable on it, too. That means that anything you're able to pull out of a dumpster, as long as the hardware still works, could run that operating system. It might not be Windows, but you could still have Internet access with it.

www.freebsd.org... if you're interested. There is documentation there as well, in the form of the Handbook.

I bought the lightest thing I could find with the most memory... and I run linux on everything I own except the kindle and sony. There are software VS hardware incompatibilities with hacking either of them and putting on any other OS.

People here many times think that they can run around with a 60 LB pack with netbooks and extra batteries and etc... and live in the woods. Going to be a hell of a lot of dead "survivalists" carrying around texts that have noting to do with actual survival but it was neat to DL army manuals
They also wont listen to those of us who have been living the prepper lifestyle since before dial up BBS.
My kids are very much techie kids... this is the way to keep them stocked with the knowledge they need if I am gone.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
People here many times think that they can run around with a 60 LB pack with netbooks and extra batteries and etc... and live in the woods. Going to be a hell of a lot of dead "survivalists" carrying around texts that have noting to do with actual survival but it was neat to DL army manuals

I think that's probably the main reason why my own interest in Survivalism has waned somewhat in the last three years, although it hasn't died completely. I realised, however, that I was being a wannabe for the most part. Survivalism *can* be a legitimate interest, of course; but for some of us, it's a means of making a rather pathetic attempt at compensating for a civilian inferiority complex.

Then again, maybe that was the wrong approach to take. If pretention is capable of actually keeping me alive, then it can't be all bad.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I've gotten to the point where I enjoy preparations for their own sake.

It helps my kids learn about what's really important; and they learn real-life skills like car repair and home food-processing. They've also learned to love outdoor living.

We might succumb to disaster like anyone else---fate will always play it's part; but in the meantime, we have a richer, more confident life because we know where the next few meals are coming from.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I used to be really into the survivalism scene, but lately I'm finding it more and more difficult to stay focused. I think I've reached the saturation point where I either know enough to survive or I don't. So now I'm putting most of my efforts into increasing my food supply and maintaining all the survival gear I've acquired of the last 5 or so years. Sometimes even that seems to be an overwhelming task. I feel as if I trained for the Olympics then wasn't allowed to compete! LOL

I realize the economy is getting shakier and shakier by the day, food prices are skyrocketing right along with fuel costs, and crime rates are soaring, but you can only do so much prepping before it becomes an obsession that takes over your every waking thought. Sometimes you just have to live for the day, and let tomorrow take care of itself.

new topics

top topics

join