It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phase one of world's first commercial spaceport is now 90% completed - in time for first flights in

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

On the other hand, Virgin could send up a ship full of people, the ship explodes, and Virgin Spaceport is out of business, with $200million in tax dollars sitting abandoned in the desert.

That's part of the risk of any contract building the government does.

I can't say I would be too wild about spending that kind of money on a private company, either... but at the same time, I am also a realist. I would be willing to bet that $200M was something of a bid made to help sway the decision of where to build. Nevada may have offered up another value - Arizona, another.

Again - if I'm a state representative and looking at this... $200M over a few years is not -all- that much, and the potential for success this business has is, at this point, mostly determined by their internal structure and the actual market demand for their service (as they are the exclusive provider). I would have a hard time shrugging and saying: "sure, let Texas have them."

The existence of that space port is not just in the interest of the company - it is in the interest of all who live in and around it. Airports, factories, and other large businesses trigger an absolutely massive amount of economic activity around them. Fast food is particularly popular around factories as you have 'lunch break' flood the local area (the smarter companies stagger their breaks from the local norm so their employees can actually eat their food, rather than inhale it after sitting in the drive-thru for 20 minutes). Hotels and restaurants make up much of the economy surrounding airports.

So, there is really a lot of potential, there. I -would- want a space port nearby, and would be somewhat disappointed if my state/local government did not compete.

Again - ideologically, I agree with you - the government should distance itself from the business world. However - things like this are the exception. Not every business is 'worth' competing over - but landscape-changers like this are.

<< 1   >>

join