It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phase one of world's first commercial spaceport is now 90% completed - in time for first flights in

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Phase one of world's first commercial spaceport is now 90% completed - in time for first flights in 2013 Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail. co.uk

Phase one of the world's first commercial spaceport, which will be the hub for Virgin's consumer spaceflights, is now 90 per cent complete.

The 1,800-acre Spaceport America site, in Las Cruces, New Mexico, is the home base for Virgin Galactic, Richard Branson's most ambitious business venture yet.

It already boasts a runway stretching to nearly two miles long, a futuristic styled terminal hanger, and a dome-shaped Space Operations Centre.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This is exciting news for the ludicrously rich dreaming of space travel! I never thought that in my lifetime there would be commercial space flights and it makes me wonder what kind of technology we already have if the civilian sector is building space ports already. I hope that at some point the cost to travel to space drops down into a range where I could afford it without selling a house first. Anyone else excited to see this?

www.dailymail. co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
i think this is an awesome step for mankind - so to speak.
the brilliant part is its all privately funded. apparently richard branson knows how to run a business.
how about taking a stab at our economy richard?

although frivolously expensive, this is evolution in space happening here and now. kudos for having a dream.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
lol spaceport

it looks cute , with its nice building and fancy lights and what not

but at the end of the day its still a airport lol

space travel is very hard .. they should use there resoruces to secure safety in space flight for commercial use

then to make fancy runways for there imaginary space crafts

and no the toys they have now is no where near ready for commercial use

they could've used nasa's runways since they won't be using them for a while

the rest of the money should've been used to further push for space safety , more durable shuttle , better fuel economy , more seating , and a much better sealed ship

whats it going to take the first tourist accident in space before people wake up to the dangers of space travel ... sadly yes ...

im sure the commercial fleets will be grounded after that first accident because people were too busy playing fancy runway instead of safety

people would be fired if i worked there lol

first perfect your mission techniques , then worry about the decorations for photo ops

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

then to make fancy runways for there imaginary space crafts and no the toys they have now is no where near ready for commercial use

Huh thought they were. I was under the impression that they were going to start up by 2015. Either way, I think it's amazing how far we've come.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's pretty cool and all, but I was a bit surprised to read this from the linked story:

the New Mexico legislature slashed the spaceport office budget by more than half.

Does this mean that tax dollars are going into building this? I would have issues with this, as Virgin is a private company, as far as I know, and shouldn't have access to tax dollars at all.

Other than that, I'm all for it. Private space travel is the wave of the future, sure to advance much faster than with the bureaucrats in charge. This will also create jobs for the construction and operation of the facility, which isn't a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I wonder what sort of explanation they will give the tourists on why there is objects outside their windows zipping around and making sudden changes in direction.

"And on your left you will see a glowing orange space bubble, space is full of them"...

The tourists that are able to afford the multimillion dollar tickets could have some power behind them to push for some answers from the governments in the know. That is if Richard Branson is sure that TPTB will let him into space. Guess we'll find out in 2013.

Here's some images from the OP's link..

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2034239/Phase-worlds-commercial-spaceport-90-cent-completed--time-flights-2013.html#ix]Source[/url ]

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I wanna turn

Looks awesome.

Its a pity they didn't have any pics from inside the space-craft, but awesome none-the-less.

This will open up a whole new chapter in mankind's intellectual evolution.

S&F
edit on 6/9/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Who knows, maybe it will have a higher percentage of incoming flights than outgoing flights!

Let's hope the Aliens like hot Mexican Food!
(what an odd thing to say so close to the Border!)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

That would be something wouldn't it! Would love to see a few unscheduled landings.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It is hard to be excited by what they call a space port and what they are selling as "trips to space".

Sure it is new and all of that so in those regards I suppose it is mildly interesting, but beyond that what is there?

I'm a kill joy I know.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
hi op

i forgot about this subject, thx for reminding me
ive been following bransons achievements since i was a child

any1 smell a rat wen branson was refused a liscence to host the national lottery
because it would have been a charity
and the money would have gone to where it was needed......
could say more but
thx
dave

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
SPACECRAFT has a website with updated status and images.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
So I found this:

The state has already poured in $200 million into financing the spaceport
source
I don't think a private enterprise should be funded with tax dollars, especially when said enterprise already has heaps of money. If, however, that's what N. Mexico wants to do with their revenue, who am I to say differently...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
That space port surely does look like a UFO at the first glance, LOL!

Aw dude, wish it would be cheaper and ready by now. Really sucks because my greatest dream is to be float around in space..

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

Good find. I agree with you it seems wrong to have the govt. funding private enterprise in this way. I wonder what the real deal is. I'll be reading the link you provided.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

I don't think a private enterprise should be funded with tax dollars, especially when said enterprise already has heaps of money. If, however, that's what N. Mexico wants to do with their revenue, who am I to say differently...

There could be multiple reasons for this. I'm not necessarily wild about the idea, either - but it's another form of government contract, in a way.

For New Mexico, a $200M investment in this is minimal by comparison to the potential job growth and increased tax revenue that could be created out of it. Setting up something like this is a multi-billion dollar affair - and that contribution is but a small part of the whole.

They could also have some stake in the contract for use of the facilities by some government interests - hospital helicopters and a number of other things. Though you would think that would be paid for on an annual basis via contracting... to each their own.

I also don't think it's fair to look at this as 'merely' space-tourism. As the first private means of getting into space - you can bet that various industries will be looking to prospect for construction of various facilities in orbit (mostly communication equipment, at first - on a scale that cannot normally be done with single-launch solutions). It may seem gimicky at first... but I think we'll see this sort of thing grow. This effort may be a bit premature... it's hard to gauge... but within the next 20 years we will see this sort of thing really start to take hold.

I know... that's been said before... and it will be said again - but we're approaching a relatively mature level of aerospace-related materials and avionics to make transatmospheric and low-orbit flights/returns far more practical. High-temperature, high-strength composites perform better than many metal alloys and are practically cheaper and easier to work with than those same alloys - something that has changed, considerably, over the past three decades.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

the rest of the money should've been used to further push for space safety , more durable shuttle , better fuel economy , more seating , and a much better sealed ship

whats it going to take the first tourist accident in space before people wake up to the dangers of space travel ... sadly yes ...

im sure the commercial fleets will be grounded after that first accident because people were too busy playing fancy runway instead of safety

...you know about the chronic disease pandemic on Earth? Caused by all kinds of contamination triggering diseases related to misfolded proteins, prions and latent and retro-viruses? ...The disease process progresses thousands of times faster in space - space travel is a major trigger.

S&

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Its about freaking time! Lazy Human Race. We could have been colonizing the moon and mars decades ago. But, we're too busy finding out celebrity slept with who and what is the 411 on Jersey Shore...

Anger aside, this is freaking awesome. The spaceport does look cool. Very sleek and futuristic. I think it'd be fun to spend a day on the observation deck watching takeoffs and landings. What's the max flights this spaceport can handle per day?

Can't wait until most people can afford this. I'd like to spend a week at Four Queens Low Orbit Hotel.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
For New Mexico, a $200M investment in this is minimal by comparison to the potential job growth and increased tax revenue that could be created out of it.

On the other hand, Virgin could send up a ship full of people, the ship explodes, and Virgin Spaceport is out of business, with $200million in tax dollars sitting abandoned in the desert.

I'm all for private space travel, but keep it private.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join