It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safe, Free, Registry cleaner freeware/software?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hey!

My computer is full of errors.. needing a safe and free registry cleaner!
Does anybody know of any good software/freeware i can download to do this?..
its mainly so i can improve quality of game play and to get rid of any errors i am unaware off on my laptop.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TripleDoubleSingle

CNET's download.com is the site you want.

Check out Advanced System Care (there's a free version) as well as CCleaner.

Possibly some others. Check out their Windows Starter Kits for good suggestions if don't want to browse the categories directly otherwise.

EDIT:
Ah, also look into Glary Utilities as well.

edit on 9/6/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Yep, CCleaner is the best I have found.

That in conjunction with Spybot. AVG Anti-virus is a good software I think.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Please tell me you aren't running Norton Anti-something?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
CCleaner does the whole shabang fairly well.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Cnet has started wrapping downloads in custom bloatware. Old archives are untouched, new uploads are wrapped. Make sure, if you HAVE to use downloads.com, that you read each window CLOSELY as you will unwittingly install several browser start page hijacks, toolbars, and other crapware.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Cnet has started wrapping downloads in custom bloatware. Old archives are untouched, new uploads are wrapped. Make sure, if you HAVE to use downloads.com, that you read each window CLOSELY as you will unwittingly install several browser start page hijacks, toolbars, and other crapware.

This. I remember I was on the phone with a guy from a computer store and he told me to download CCleaner.... little did I know I somehow downloaded Magic Cleaner or something like that....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Cheers .. you all were a MASSIVE help.. stars for everyone!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Here is the proper link for CCleaner.

I've been using it for years now and have never had any issues.
edit on 6/9/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Ah, thanks for mentioning this. I haven't had too many issues with it as am obsessive about unclicking all options I don't want since I've been nailed generally on this before, but I have been annoyed by their personal installer they've started using recently.

Still a good site, just definitely pay attention for this stuff as phishy advises (that applies anytime are downloading/installing from anywhere).

Thanks again.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Ditch windows altogether and download Linux maybe Suse or Ubuntu to get you started.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

Ditch windows altogether and download Linux maybe Suse or Ubuntu to get you started.

He wouldn't be able to play games on it. Wine sucks it's hit or miss. There is a reason Windows is the dominate desktop OS it's because it's standardized and easy to use. Linux is mess of various installers, package managers, and GUIs.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
ccleaner then defrag, check that drivers/bios are upto date but if its been a few years since windows was last installed maybe a backup/wipe/reinstall/restore just to freshen it up

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IlluminatusOculus33

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

He wouldn't be able to play games on it. Wine sucks it's hit or miss. There is a reason Windows is the dominate desktop OS it's because it's standardized and easy to use. Linux is mess of various installers, package managers, and GUIs.

Granted games would be an issue but then again i've never considered the computer as a games machine. but you are misinformed on your last statement regarding installers, package managers, and GUIs. Window does a little bit of everything not very well its poorly programmed with memory leaks.

If you want to do any coding or anything serious you need to get something stable, either linux on pc or get a mac but get nix all the same and get a ps3 if you want to play games...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

Granted games would be an issue but then again i've never considered the computer as a games machine. but you are misinformed on your last statement regarding installers, package managers, and GUIs. Window does a little bit of everything not very well its poorly programmed with memory leaks.

If you want to do any coding or anything serious you need to get something stable, either linux on pc or get a mac but get nix all the same and get a ps3 if you want to play games...

Haha you serious? You have Anaconda, Ubiquity, Debian-Installer, etc. You have .deb, .rpm, pacman, urpmi, GNOME, Unity, KDE, Openbox, Xfce, LXDE, etc.

Stable? There is bug regression all the time, things that work stop working after updates, installing new kernels can bork the system. Graphics drivers can be wonky and cause scrambled screens, black screens, and other problems.

You can play games on the computer. People build systems to specifically play games on it. PC games are usually more advanced than the console games. It's not that hard to put a new gfx card in a computer and install more ram.

You come off as a Linux fanboy that believes Linux can't do no wrong. Linux isn't a god. It's unstable junk that's why it only has what 1-2% desktop market share.

Why buy a Mac? For the cost of one Mac you can buy two desktop PCs or two laptops or a laptop and a desktop PC. Macs are over priced. I've used Macs before they lock up, get spinning beach balls due to slow loading, etc. Stop living in fantasy land.
edit on 6-9-2011 by IlluminatusOculus33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33

I am not in a fantasy land, granted if you jump from flavour to flavour never really bothering to understand how an OS or the hardware interact you are going to get the impression that you are currently misguided with, because at some point your skill and knowledge will let you down unless you have the staying power to actually learn about what you are trying to do. Configuring the X windows system is not that difficult even on multi head systems.

The bare truth is that todays internet and communications would still only be a fantasy today if it was not for the nix family tree, I don't see many UTMs, switches, routers, modems, wireless AP, phones, watches, fridges, webcams etc.. running windows do you?

Microsoft have never innovated anything they have only ripped off existing technology and there are things that it just cant do, in fact windows server actually runs better and more stable as a virtual appliance inside VMware sat on a Linux distro than it does directly on the hardware. Microsofts closed source method will never be able to compete with the open source method, and microsoft would not be where it is today without the open source communities inspiration. They only bring out a feature when they see other people doing it, ie when they have too. No company that is serious about its hardware investment would trust its infrastructure to microsoft.

Any just because something has market share does not mean its better, remember VHS and Betamax?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Linux isn't Unix they both are different. Unix was created by AT&T. Linux was created by Linus Trovalds to look and act like Unix but it isn't Unix. BSD is Unix since it branched off the AT&T code.

Even Unix wasn't all the great and difficult to use I would suggest reading The Unix Hater's Handbook free e-book

Criticism of Desktop Linux is also a good read through.

Close source can't survive? Really? Apple had success with it with their Apple ][ and Macintosh computers before DOS & Windows (also closed source) over took the market. Even Commodore 64 was a popular home computer in the 80's and it was proprietary. Windows is on the vast majority of desktop computers and Apple owns the mp3 market with their closed source iPods. Give me a break.

Don't use Windows in business if they want to survive? Are you for real? The vast majority of businesses do use Windows! Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, CAD-CAM Software, etc are used in businesses. You don't have those commercial software products in Linux. Open source alternatives are junk compared to commercial software.

It's a gross over statement to say Microsoft 'stole' everything. That's a lie and you know it. You're so full of it. Maybe you should look into computer history instead of rambling nonsense.

edit on 6-9-2011 by IlluminatusOculus33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Also if Linux is so great why can't they give it away? If given the choice and someone knew about Linux and how to use it or a pirated version of Windows they would choose the pirated Windows.

Look at China, Russia, etc they use pirated version of Windows instead of Linux. Even Communist China doesn't want an open source OS lol. They'd rather have Windows.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by IlluminatusOculus33

Linux isn't Unix they both are different. Unix was created by AT&T. Linux was created by Linus Trovalds to look and act like Unix but it isn't Unix. BSD is Unix since it branched off the AT&T code.

I Never said Linux was Unix. When was this ever in dispute?

Even Unix wasn't all the great and difficult to use I would suggest reading The Unix Hater's Handbook free e-book

Criticism of Desktop Linux is also a good read through.

and those are unbiased sources... "The Unix Haters handbook" come on you make a fool of yourself.

Close source can't survive? Really? Apple had success with it with their Apple ][ and Macintosh computers before DOS & Windows (also closed source) over took the market. Even Commodore 64 was a popular home computer in the 80's and it was proprietary. Windows is on the vast majority of desktop computers and Apple owns the mp3 market with their closed source iPods. Give me a break.

I never said closed source cant survive you are putting words in my mouth I suggest you reread my post. I said Microsofts closed source method will never compete with the open source method but that’s OK you are now using Apple to try to make a point against my original suggestion of getting *nix or Apple. Thanks for that

Don't use Windows in business if they want to survive? Are you for real? The vast majority of businesses do use Windows! Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, CAD-CAM Software, etc are used in businesses. You don't have those commercial software products in Linux. Open source alternatives are junk compared to commercial software.

Thats all very well if you want to draw pictures (but even then your better off with a mac) I was referring to servers and infrastructure *nix systems just work, and you can leave them running for years in the server rooms without them winging, wining for attention and generally needing babysitting. You try running any number of Microsoft servers and you will find that if you don’t install the auto updates they get vulnerable to hacking/viruses and if you switch on the auto updates you have to reboot every time a patch installs. You try implementing and managing a 1000+ server farm or global WAN on that kind of unreliable infrastructure. GOOD LUCK.

It's a gross over statement to say Microsoft 'stole' everything. That's a lie and you know it. You're so full of it. Maybe you should look into computer history instead of rambling nonsense.

I never said stole, I said ripped off there is a difference. Stole implied they stole code, which they cant do because of the GNU public license and they would be sued. Ripped off means Microsoft are like a spoilt child they see other companies playing with new toy they don’t have so they have to try to snatch it away. But Microsoft would 'Steal' that code if they thought they could get away with it, instead they have to keep trying to rewrite their OS code to try and keep up.

Also if Linux is so great why can't they give it away? If given the choice and someone knew about Linux and how to use it or a pirated version of Windows they would choose the pirated Windows.

They can give it away they also sell it too, IBM, HP, Dell, Novell all sell their own flavour of Linux. Often ending up on serious kit running the kind of serious # microsoft cant. Google uses it among others and probably the only reason the LHC at Cern works is because its running its 20,000 odd servers on Linux, try that when you have to reboot every other day to clear the memory leaks, forget it.

Look at China, Russia, etc they use pirated version of Windows instead of Linux. Even Communist China doesn't want an open source OS lol. They'd rather have Windows.

I do often as a I travel extensively. You think those Asian hackers are so savy because they are using windows? There are things that windows just cant do.

But lets see what we have got left, You referred to me as a Linux Fanboy in a completely condescending manner. You called me a Liar after twisting my statements and throwing them back at me muddying the waters with facts that were never in dispute, my advice to the OP was not directed at you, yet you began to troll me. Your avatar speaks for itself. You also suggest that people would rather 'Steal' windows and use a pirated copy than use Linux. Well maybe you sir but not I.

I have no time for your ignorance or slander. I am not here to educate a troll. You just remember how obediently you suck the MS teet every time you have to reboot.

Goodbye and goodluck

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

No Spore, Sims, Civilization or Warcraft? Not even Morrowind? You ARE A CRAZY MAN.

Yes, I bought Windows because it is supported. Just like VHS beat out the others and DVD beat out those GIANT laser discs, and now Blu-Ray beat out Xboxs attempt.

Imagine yourself in all those scenarios being the failed system. Imagine me whispering: That's where you are now.

Illuminati, You lost me when you listed all those installer programs.

Although, when SHTF, Linux and Unix knowledge would be very beneficial, as those others I think will eventually reveal their corruption.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join