It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone noticed an odd smell of rubber burning in diffirent places at diffirent times?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Funny, over the past week or so I too have noticed a strange burning smell in my house and office building. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and others have also smelled this unusual burning smell.

The best way that I can describe it is when you turn on your furnace for the first few times in fall and smell the dust burning, but throw a tire into the flame to add a bit of a different smell. Like many others I too am having a difficult time describing the smell, but burning rubber is probably the best way.

Most recently I noticed the smell while working in my basement (and the furnace was off). The smell lasted for only a few minutes, but later returned when I was going outside. My dogs even stop and sniff the air every once in a while and try to locate their mystery smell.

I just equated it to a car in the neighborhood, but maybe there is more to it?? Who knows!

I read up the symptoms of a brain tumor, and everyone at some point in their lives has one or more of these symptoms....I love the vague lists that may or may not point to a specific medical condition...

I wonder if this weird smell is anyway connected to the sounds around the world? I haven't heard these strange noises myself, but maybe that is next??

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Actually, Yes.

I ride a motorcycle, and strange smells of burning rubber are of a particular concern for me (riding boot cooking on exhaust, or something chewing into my tires that shouldn't be) so I am always cognizant of such things, but lately I have been noticing it in small intervals almost every time I ride. It happens in different places all around the DFW metroplex here in TX, so its not just across the pond.

I was just wondering what it could be, sometimes it happens when no other vehicles are around, yet the bike always checks out fine...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Ive not smelled any burning rubber...
But I have noticed that the past 3 times it's rained.. it smells exactly like an inflatable rubber pool toy or something.

You know that smell?
When you just open something from a store, "plastic/rubber" smell?
I always smell it on "pool toys" so I use that as a reference. lol

Anyway...
The rain usually smells good... you know.. kinda like.. rain?

But not the past 3 times it's rained.
I go outside and it smells like the entire town is made of one giant rubber pool toy or something.
Kinda gross.
and Ive not noticed the rain smelling like that before.
blech

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
my sister in ny just told me this weekend they were looking for rubber burning to no avail,due to a rubber burn smell as well her ,her husband and inlaws all looking for the fire that did not exsist.

now this could not be a coincidence,the amount of people in diferent countrys,same smell. something is up.
edit on 6-9-2011 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the input. When I started the thread little did I know that there would be so many others stating they had also noticed the smell. Makes me wonder how many others have but thought no more of it. Hopefully others will weigh in and we will be able to see the geography involved

Thanks again and respects to you all.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yes I've smelled it here in Denver as well. I kept thinking it was my car, you know, kind of like the smell of a burnt clutch. I thought there was something wrong with my car so I had it looked at, nothing wrong. I thought maybe its me, but I've been driving down the road and asked a passenger with me if they smelled it, only response was someone must be beating on their car. Though we weren't near an on or off ramp and cruising in 5th gear down the road so no one nor I, would be shifting as to cause the smell. The fact that someone posted this, well I was surprised to say the least.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMontu

Thanks for the input, hopefully others who have noticed the smell but paid it no attention will also be made alert to the fact that something may be going on here..

respects

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
Since early August when out walking my wife, son and myself have noticed this strong smell of rubber burning ( Tyres?). We live in the west of Scotland, not near any manufacturer or factory that might be producing the smell.

On talking with friends they have also mentioned the smell and the fact that you could drive 20 miles from home smell it, then smell the exact same smell a day later in your own front garden.

The smell is methyl mercaptan. It's a breakdown product from solid waste landfills. Smells like burning rubber. There must be an old landfill buried somewhere upwind of you.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
Mods please re-locate if in the wrong forum, thanks.

Since early August when out walking my wife, son and myself have noticed this strong smell of rubber burning ( Tyres?). We live in the west of Scotland, not near any manufacturer or factory that might be producing the smell.

On talking with friends they have also mentioned the smell and the fact that you could drive 20 miles from home smell it, then smell the exact same smell a day later in your own front garden.

Like others I checked the car etc with no sign of the aroma coming from it.

Is anyone else noticing this smell? or have suggestions to what it might be?. It would be interesting to find it is widespread and not just located to my home town.

Yeah i've smelt burning rubber on several occasions in random parts of my town on my way home from work, i have no idea what it is about because we don't burn rubber here because it's illegal.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It's funny, I've been noticing a smell of burning rubber every since I got a Suzuki Bandit 1250 as a courtesy bike as part of an insurance claim last week.
second line.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Actually I smelled something like this just today. I was driving and had my windows up and my AC on, and I got behind a pickup truck and started smelling an overwhelming "burning chemical" smell. I opened my window and turned the AC off, and that didn't seem to help much, but after a while it went away. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my car, and it didn't seem to be the truck in front of me. Never really smelled anything like it, it's like the air itself was bad.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
same here in northern west virginia. burnt rubber or burnt wire insulation smell. this is an upscale residential neighborhood so nobody is burning wire for copper. drove around the block about 4 hours ago prior to reading this post looking for smoke to no avail. happens every once and a while at different times of the day for about the last 6-8 months. interesting that it seems widespread and international which would rule out local conditions. perhaps brain tumors and conspiracies go together.(joke)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Woke up 1 morning to a strong "burning rubber" smell. Turned out it was from a a marsh fire about 20 miles away. They were smelling it over 100 miles from the source! Not sure if this is a possible answer in your case. It was the reasonable explanation in my case, though.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What does the fallout from Fukushima smell like?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

This topic being started today is kinda ironic for me, just this morning when I was driving to a job I smelled burning rubber for a few minutes... just a very faint one. It probably last for about 5 miles. Thought to myself "#, there goes my fanbelt" or something like that, but when I got home I checked my engine compartment there wasn't the faintest sign of any rubber smell, all belts were fine... Thought it was extremely strange.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tonyJ

hahaha... knowing what a bandit 1250 is, i think your problem might be more "torque" related.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
What a weird thread.

Yes I have faintly smell this occasionally since last week.
Talking to a friend in Houston the other day, I remember she was complaining about the smell of rubber burning too.

Weird indeed.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
sometimes car breaks can give off a really strong rubber smell that sort of lingers in the air. Maybe thats it?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Today while driving in southeastern PA the phantom odor of a "burning match" appeared while driving in a torrential downpour three times... it wasn't a "rubber" smell like water getting up on a hot hose or anything like that and was gone just as quickly as it appeared...

There were no cars close enough to be emitting the smell and it was quite obviously not someone burning tires or trash as it would have been nearly impossible to start a fire this afternoon and each occurrence was miles apart... at no time did I hit a large puddle just prior that would have caused it so I'm at a loss as to what it could have been... aside from the "stroke" possibility...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The good news is : There are way too many people raising this issue or smelling the odor for us all to be having strokes...(I Hope!)...The bad news :I still dont have a clue what could be causing the smell.

We have no land-fill sites near us, nor as I mentioned earlier, do we have any factories or manufacturers that would be causing the smell. The mystery deepens....

respects

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join