It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone noticed an odd smell of rubber burning in diffirent places at diffirent times?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Mods please re-locate if in the wrong forum, thanks.

Since early August when out walking my wife, son and myself have noticed this strong smell of rubber burning ( Tyres?). We live in the west of Scotland, not near any manufacturer or factory that might be producing the smell.

On talking with friends they have also mentioned the smell and the fact that you could drive 20 miles from home smell it, then smell the exact same smell a day later in your own front garden.

Like others I checked the car etc with no sign of the aroma coming from it.

Is anyone else noticing this smell? or have suggestions to what it might be?. It would be interesting to find it is widespread and not just located to my home town.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Phantom smells, Aren't they a prelude to a stroke or something?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I live in Manchester , UK and have been noticing the same smell ( burning rubber ) for over a year . If it was a perlude to a stroke , I think it would have happened by now .

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
i smell burning rubber now and then in wales but thats because many drivers are gits and boy racers.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
Mods please re-locate if in the wrong forum, thanks.

Since early August when out walking my wife, son and myself have noticed this strong smell of rubber burning ( Tyres?). We live in the west of Scotland, not near any manufacturer or factory that might be producing the smell.

On talking with friends they have also mentioned the smell and the fact that you could drive 20 miles from home smell it, then smell the exact same smell a day later in your own front garden.

Like others I checked the car etc with no sign of the aroma coming from it.

Is anyone else noticing this smell? or have suggestions to what it might be?. It would be interesting to find it is widespread and not just located to my home town.

Yes, I have, a sort of chemical smell, not sure if i can put it down to rubber though, but i smelt it in my street a couple of days ago, and when out shopping last night. To be honest i tried to be logical and put it down to the rubbish bags being collected fortnight as opposed to weekly (they were taken yesterday), but it doesnt really smell like binbags, but a chemical smell, definitly chemical. Im in south wales btw. s and f, for bringing this up.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Yea your right they can be the prelude to a stroke. Now that would be worrying as My wife, son and some friends are also reporting the same smell. Seriously though, not knowing the cause is annoyingand worrying if it drafts in your open window at night.

respects

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
actually its really weird when i came across this thread, earlier today and also yesterday i have been smelling a strange smell in the air, almost like when farmers fertilize their fields you can smell the manure etc. (but i know its not that lol its just an example). Its not quite as pungent as manure (plus were i am there is no fields near us lol) its kinda like i think someone said it above, a bit like burnt tyre smell, almost acrid. i actually thought i was just smelling things (as in it was my imagination) until my daughters commented on it last night, and also the shop keeper and a neighbor this morning commented on it. Its strange, it may be nothing more than summit burning somewhere or another innocent explanation. its just weird.

edited to add: i live in Edinburgh scotland
edit on 6/9/11 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I 've noticed it too I smell it at home but not all the time ,I smell it when I am driving around doing errands always I check my car ,no not my car ,I check to see if anyone is laying asphalt ,no asphalt ,are we all having strokes?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Sometimes we recall the smell associated with something in our sub-conscious and that indeed could revert back as an illusion of live odor. But who knows?

I lately smell metal and rubber whenever I am working in my PC especially when the ceiling fan is turned off but only occasionally.

It may have something to do with abduction and aftermath horror or any near cloaked aliens or ship?

edit on 6-9-2011 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

what if at some asphalt had splashed up on your exhaust and was slowly being burnt off as it heats up?

I dont know I do see a lot of post on various forms related to this smell and smart cars.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I hate it when that happens.

I'll be driving along...and all of a sudden...burning rubber.

I start looking at all my guages and dash...nope, all is well. Start looking in my mirrors for exhaust or strange smoke...really freaks me out for about 20 seconds or so.

Then it fades away.....

Probably someone burning trash that wasn't allowed in the dump.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by MrsBlonde

what if at some asphalt had splashed up on your exhaust and was slowly being burnt off as it heats up?

I dont know I do see a lot of post on various forms related to this smell and smart cars.

no remember I checked. I 've even wondered like like the OP why am i smelling this ?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
just to clarify my post above aswell, i dont drive
my kids have smelt it in our area and at achool, same with the shop keeper who has smelt it here and also at his own residence which is in the center of town (i live near the beach area) it could just be asphalt travelling around, or someone burning summit they shouldn't etc i just find it coincidental that others have smelt similar esp the op who is in the west of scotland (me being teqnically the east of scotland - well north edin but still
lol )

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Torchwood category one ?,
Also noticed that strange smell mainly at night, it seems to be in the coastal areas of the UK i cant really pin it down but its a very overpowering smell somethings not quite right, Also a prelude to a stroke is the taste of sulpher in your mouth, not in your nasals, IMO...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I know it's not an elegant answer but maybe someone is burning rubber upwind.

Sometime things are as they seem.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I live in SW Arkansas and I have smelled such an odor. While there are some that think this is all imagination, one day while riding with a friend, we both smelled it, so anyone who thinks that I am just smelling things around me just does not understand what this odor is all about and why so many have reported such an odor in many places around the world.

While I have discussed this matter with anyone that has smelled the burnt odor, anyone that has smelled it does not think that it is imagination or some local phenomena.

Anyway, I just wanted to provide some affirmation that such an odor is not make believe, because I smell this smell quite frequently and have numerous local witnesses that such an odor does exist.

Thanks for the thread.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
My olds thought they smelt burning rubber the other day, I just thought they were getting old until this.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Not trying to worry you but another possibility is a brain tumour. It is a well known fact that the smell of burning rubber is often perceived when a person has a brain tumour.

People with brain tumors often report the smell of burning rubber with no source for the odo

Link

It's unlikely that both you and your son have a condition but worth knowing just incase. If either of you have any of the other side effects listed above, visit a doctor.

Good luck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join