It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists discover remains of a Roman gladiator school in Austria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

British archaeologists were among a team who have discovered the ruins of a Roman gladiator school on the outskirts of the Austrian capital Vienna.
The find, which has been described as 'one in a million' and 'sensational', is one of 100 hundred such schools the Romans built to train the fighters before they were pitted against each other in brutal combat.

The complex contains about 40 tiny sleeping cells, a large bathing area, a training hall with heated floors and assorted administrative buildings.

Caesar Augustus was the Roman emperor at the time of the gladiatorial school some 27 years before and 14 years after the birth of Christ.

www.mailonsunday.co.uk...

Neat stuff!

I would love to go visit the stadium and see the armor that they might unearth, and it sounds like there may be armor to dig out.

The fighters used to be criminals or slaves and winning might have given them their freedoms, I would not be surprised if history repeats itself and that happens once again within the next 2-3 decades or so.

They existed on a high-energy, vegetarian diet combining barley, boiled beans, oatmeal, ash - believed to help fortify the body- and dried fruit

Hey i'm vegetarian too

Take that those that say vegetarians can't be strong, tell that to the ancient romans!

HA!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Very interesting! Ancient Rome has always interested me. They way they did accomplished things was amazing.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Wow thats pretty aesome I'd like to see what they can dig up out there as well. This should be an interesting find. Hope they are fourthcoming with info on what they find.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Good one MA.

Saw this when it first came out and was waiting for more info.

Many people don't realize that Austria (Pannonia) was part of the Roman Empire and Vienna (Vindobona) was a key Roman city.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Good one MA.

Saw this when it first came out and was waiting for more info.

Many people don't realize that Austria (Pannonia) was part of the Roman Empire and Vienna (Vindobona) was a key Roman city.

Subscribes and fingers crossed they actually search for this thread..

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

They existed on a high-energy, vegetarian diet combining barley, boiled beans, oatmeal, ash - believed to help fortify the body- and dried fruit

Hey i'm vegetarian too

Take that those that say vegetarians can't be strong, tell that to the ancient romans!

HA!

Well come on now. It's not like they gave them these things because they thought it would make them strong. They were vegetarian because giving expensive meat to slaves who existed essentially to die isn't very economical.

Also porridge and gruel in those days was often spiked with a large dose of rendered animal fat. They probably just went to the butchers and took all the trimmings which would have been cheap. Trimmings would also rot away quickly and without bones would leave behind no evidence unlike bags of dried grains.

Today's vegetarians are also not subjected to rigorous days of brutal training. So it's a bit like me saying "Hah I ate a pancake once I can be as strong and tough as a 19th century lumberjack."

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Hindu soldiers and workers seem to do fine in the present and past. One must remember that the majority of 'Gurkhas' are Hindu and vegetarian - and no enemy has every thought of them as anything but tough as nails -and best avoided.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by FEDec

Hindu soldiers and workers seem to do fine in the present and past. One must remember that the majority of 'Gurkhas' are Hindu and vegetarian - and no enemy has every thought of them as anything but tough as nails -and best avoided.

Again though this has nothing to do with them being vegetarians and everything to do with them being the product of rigorous training. My point was not to say that vegetarians are not tough but that a modern vegetarian living in first world conditions comparing themselves to a fully trained warrior is a ludicrous idea in my mind.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Actually the biggest argument that vegetarians are unnatural is that a protein deficient diet makes one less than intelligent, as proven that no intelligent person would want to study to become a gladiator. And also there is some anecdotal information that a vegan/vegetarian diet makes people more servile, slave-ish.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
Actually the biggest argument that vegetarians are unnatural is that a protein deficient diet makes one less than intelligent, as proven that no intelligent person would want to study to become a gladiator.

Err... you didn't have to 'study' to become a gladiator. Just survive.

And also there is some anecdotal information that a vegan/vegetarian diet makes people more servile, slave-ish.

Very anecdotal and very disproven.

new topics

top topics

join