It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tokyo told to prepare for massive earthquake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Tokyo told to prepare for massive earthquake

Japanese scientists were warning Thursday that Tokyo could soon be hit by a massive earthquake, following a surge in seismic activity.

Seismologists at the University of Tokyo detected a huge increase in the number of small quakes in the tectonic plates below the capital.

And the scientists measuring the quakes did not rule out the possibility that a combination of earthquakes in two or more points in the earth's crust could unite -- doubling their destructive power.

"Because of the March 11 quake, the possibility of a big quake occurring in Tokyo has increased," according to Shinichi Sakai, assistant professor at the university's Earthquake Research Institute. "It is necessary to make preparations on the assumption that a big quake could come to Tokyo at any time and that the danger is greater than before."

Let's hope they are wrong.

Maybe that explains the following threads:

Japan to close ALL their nuclear power plants

Strange flashes at Fukushima nuclear plant 05/09/2011

And let's not forget these threads from TA. They make for interesting reading:

The Final Warning to Tokyo

Critical New Quake Could Mean Impending Disaster For Japan

EDIT:

See also:

Increasing tectonic movements beneath Tokyo may bring massive quake

According to the University of Tokyo's Earthquake Research Institute which has been continually assessing and monitoring the likely occurrence, since the disastrous massive quake of March 11, increasing movements of tectonic plates has been observed which may likely bring a massive boundary quake under the Tokyo area.

The tectonic make up of Tokyo is complicated and many earthquakes in said areas with a magnitude of at least 3 have been recorded at an average of eight per month prior to March 11. From March 11 to August 20, it has been observed that the number of plate-boundary quakes with at least a magnitude of 3 rose to fourfold in an area about 70 kilometers underneath northern Tokyo Bay.

edit on 6-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
nevermind

edit on 6-9-2011 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
H.A.A.R.P works good i see

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Good find OP~
It is undeniable that there is an increased amount of natural phenomenon (at least awareness of such), world-wide.

I should've gone to work at HAARP. At least there'd be some job security, there!

But it feels, increasingly, that our world is coming to an event, either geophysical or geopolitical...maybe both!

Japan, South America, Africa, US, Europe....all have been volatile in their own ways, in recent days. Tons of activity has been happening...almost condensed, more so than I've ever seen in my lifetime, thus far.

Unfortunate... but intelligent that Japan is giving warning to its people.
The Japanese should've found a new home looooooong ago, in my opinion.
Who would, thoughtfully, want to live on a seismic red-zone?

edit on 6-9-2011 by bojimbo because: addition and subtraction

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Just FYI on this piece:

The story is from September 1. That's 防災の日 - bousai no hi. Disaster prevention day. September 1 was chosen because it's the date of the massive quake that hit Tokyo in 1923. Every year on 9/1, there are disaster drills around the country (we did ours at work, incorporating a tsunami evac into it this year). There was quite a bit of media attention on this - quite a bit more than in previous years, which should come as no surprise, really.

The comments in the story were just re-iterating what's been said quite often over the past couple of months, there has been no sudden increase (or decrease) in the threat.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Just FYI on this piece:

The story is from September 1. That's 防災の日 - bousai no hi. Disaster prevention day. September 1 was chosen because it's the date of the massive quake that hit Tokyo in 1923. Every year on 9/1, there are disaster drills around the country (we did ours at work, incorporating a tsunami evac into it this year). There was quite a bit of media attention on this - quite a bit more than in previous years, which should come as no surprise, really.

The comments in the story were just re-iterating what's been said quite often over the past couple of months, there has been no sudden increase (or decrease) in the threat.

This is true, my daughter had her drill at school the other day as well.
Telling japan to prepare for an earthquake seems to be in the same vain as telling Californians to prepare for "the big one".
Yeah, it will happen but predicting it accurately will not.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Sept 27.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Originally posted by LightAssassin
Sept 27.

Is that an Elenin thing?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

reply to post by loam

Sept 27.

Yep, Elenin is coming and we will have new alignment!
Too many related to Elenin things are actually happening to say this is another coincidence…

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Originally posted by vox2442

reply to post by snowen20

Originally posted by snowen20
Telling japan to prepare for an earthquake seems to be in the same vain as telling Californians to prepare for "the big one".

I decided to see what the Institute was actually saying:

Increasing tectonic movements beneath Tokyo may bring massive quake

According to the University of Tokyo's Earthquake Research Institute which has been continually assessing and monitoring the likely occurrence, since the disastrous massive quake of March 11, increasing movements of tectonic plates has been observed which may likely bring a massive boundary quake under the Tokyo area.

The tectonic make up of Tokyo is complicated and many earthquakes in said areas with a magnitude of at least 3 have been recorded at an average of eight per month prior to March 11. From March 11 to August 20, it has been observed that the number of plate-boundary quakes with at least a magnitude of 3 rose to fourfold in an area about 70 kilometers underneath northern Tokyo Bay.

On the other hand, the institute says the number of inland quakes has not drastically increased although the types of quakes changed.

I think that very much contradicts the notion that there has been no increased threat.

In that regard, this is NOTHING like "telling Californians to prepare for 'the big one'".

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Great post, Loam. I read a bit of the other threads and a person just has to wonder why Japan doesn't just "abandon ship" and head to safer ground elsewhere. Surely those unfortunate people must suffer from acute anxiety or PTSD by now. Just as I'll never understand how people can get used to living on constantly shaking ground, or in tornado alley for that matter, physical security for oneself and one's family must be re-examined and re-evaluated in light of the extremely high danger.

They continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Well, it's hard to imagine an entire nation being evacuated. Moreover, there really aren't that many places on planet where there isn't the risk of extreme natural disaster.

Hopefully, such prediction will not come to pass. But if I lived in Tokyo, I'd take these warnings very seriously and prepare as best as possible.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

what can you say lets just hope
nothing else happens to japan

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

reply to post by loam

Sept 27.

What I saw was that Elenin is 3 days in alignment, 25 till 27 of september.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Shoganai!

Life means a endless Suffering and Pain
Death is Liberation from this Circle

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Is it possible that we may have misinterpreted Nostrodamus's readings about a body of land being engulfed by water. The way it sounds I'd be willing to bet that Japan will be under water before California will be.
edit on 6-9-2011 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

I like the first part.

The second is a little emo.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nedined

reply to post by loam

Sept 27.

Yep, Elenin is coming and we will have new alignment!
Too many related to Elenin things are actually happening to say this is another coincidence…

Elenin is breaking up.
Sorry.

As many readers already know, Comet Elenin has begun the irreversible process of breaking up. We spoke earlier about the probablility of such an outcome, but I considered it less than 50%. On the graph at left you can see a selection of ten comets that approach the Sun closer than 0.5 a.u.

spaceobs.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Oh boy, this is very bad news not only for Toyko but the entire planet. We are just moments away from the point of no return. Loam you did a good job IMHO on bringing this news forward although I kind of wish I was a bit less knowledgeable now.

There is so much I still want to do and see in my life and Japan was at the top of my list, but this is just tragic and foreboding, seems no place is going to escape natures wrath.

I feel for the Good People of Japan.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I just checked spaceweather.com... and there was recently a Earth directed CME ejected from the sun. Due to hit earth in just a few days. This could possibly trigger the earthquake

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join