It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellow Teeth Are Healthy Teeth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
TRUE

Okay, to an extent, they are. Whilst nicotine or a constant stream of espressos aren't positive ways of staining your pearly whites, another cause of teeth yellowing is that they absorb fluoride. "Yellow teeth may have higher quantities of the mineral 'fluorapatite' - they may appear tainted but are still very healthy." That doesn't mean you should miss out on regular dental checks though. "Discoloured teeth should be checked because it could be decay or exposed dentine which can be very sensitive," adds Professor Eder.

So, it looks like we dont have to have shining white teeth after all for them to be in good shape.... mine are Ivory coloured and i think they look fine.... have a few fillings but thats from the sweets and smoking i used to do....

And Tooth Whitening Toothpaste is no good either according to Professor Eder:

Regularly using a whitening toothpaste can raise the risk of wearing away your tooth enamel," says Professor Eder. Just like a heavy-duty sander can wear away wooden floors. "It can be quite abrasive stuff. Home bleaching, however, supervised by a dentist, has 20 years of data to support its safety and is the most effective way of simply removing the surface stains without damaging the enamel tooth surface."

edit on 6-9-2011 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I know one thing is for sure, bleaching (whitening) your teeth is insanity and I'll never have it done.

I've been a smtoker since 12, and drink a bit as well. Nearly 29 now and never had a cavity or braces. Dentist says my teeth are in exceptional health for my age. They may be a lil yellow, but it's natural and I don't mind.

I think not consuming soda for the last decade, drinking unsweet tea daily, and eating healthy has gone a long way to keeping my gum line and teeth in such good shape.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Yep home bleaching is insane. I was talking to my dentist about this just recently, and he and his colleagues were firmly of the opinion that any whitening treatments are very bad for the teeth.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Painterz

There are natural whitening agents which can be found in some toothpastes. Those don't seem to cause harm.

I use "kiss my face" triple protection toothpaste, and "periowash" complete oral care cinnamon.
edit on 6-9-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Ahhh but all the celebrities and idols on television have white teeth...
So that means we HAVE to also, right?

Everyone knows that bleaching teeth is dangerous and plain dumb.
But people do it anyways.
And they blatantly lay in UV booths for tans, too.
Even with the skin cancer guarantee you get along with that!

Vanity is rampant these days, and bleached teeth is just a start.
People always try to emulate what they see on TV, especially teeth.
Disregarding all health hazards in a desperate attempt to fit in.
But companies are too blame, also....putting white smiles everywhere.
Its marketed towards those who think looks are more important than smarts.
And it works.

So many more important things in life than bleached teeth and tans!

I guess you can't teach the ignorant....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I have a slight yellow tint to my teeth, they aren't white and I don't want them to look all shiney and white. It just looks unnatural!

People try and tell me its bad but my dentist disagrees. He says I have teeth people pay thousands of dollars to have.. I love it

I wont do teeth whiteners, even my dentist suggested not to! He's old school which is why I like him. He said just use baking soda occasionally

SF for you

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Very peculiar thread...I like it!

Of course they can be healthy teeth! I have a yellow tint to my teeth largely due to stains attributed to light smoking, drinking tea, alcohol and other mediums that tend to stain. However, I told my dentist of my brushing patterns and technique over the last 20 years and he explained that's why I have teeth and gums in a great state of health.

Unfortunately the obsession with ''white teeth'' is fallible to an extent because many who strive for the ''perfect smile'' don't actually realise the maintenance and up-keep of it can and often does do more damage than good. I can boast no 'fillings', caps or any other remedial procedure to safe guard the health of my teeth and I would prefer to keep my ''yellow tint'' anyday over white-ones filled with silver, capped or artifical. Thankfully, my Dad at 56 can also boast the same.

edit on 6-9-2011 by BAZ752 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2011 by BAZ752 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

And we all know that tanning saunas can give you cancer!!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BAZ752

Yeah, i signed in this morning to hotmail and found these '10 things you should or shouldnt know about teeth' so i thought hmm.... interesting one... i'm pretty sure this hasn't been up on ATS so decided to put it up here to see what you guys thought of it
(big shiny teeth in this smiley)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

it does cost a lot and i've seen a lot of threads up on here about Pharma companies wanting our cash more and more which is why curable diseases arent cured etc etc.... having flashy white teeth i guess is just another money making scheme!!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
My teeth have NEVER been perfect and I'm happy with them as they are. I had some removed back in January but I can't really tell now because they've compensated nicely.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
My teeth are super strong and super yellow. I work for a dentist. Never let a person without dental training put dangerous chemicals in your mouth. Some people have naturally yellow teeth.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
its OK to have yellow looking teeth if you're married. if you're single, lol, go get it whiten.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

Why? Yellow is a nice color. People with super white teeth freak me out. They look so phony.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Yellow and especially if they are dark yellow is not a nice color. And the poster above is right. I personally would not date a man who has obvious yellow teeth. Thats a turn off. Shiny blaring white is too fake but having obvious yellow teeth is a sign that you probably do not have a healthy diet and most likely are a heavy coffee drinker, smoker, and possible tobacco chewer. A big NO.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

No wonder I am single, well, at least I have a date tonight. Yeah, I need to move a few shades to the white. I hope I don't swallow that stuff, it burns holes in me.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

That's cool, I don't date non-smtokers.

That's a big NO!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I believe children who are exposed to Tetracycline are prone to yellow teeth and a major loss of enamel or softening of the dentin.

I had yellow teeth for years and was committed to my brushing and flossing. I then stopped using toothpaste over two years ago and went with baking soda with the occasional peroxide rinse, now my teeth are as white as paper although they appear to be very translucent. I get compliments all the time now.

Wiki page--Tetracycline use and teeth

I don't think doctors prescribe this any longer to children under a certain age.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
TRUE

Okay, to an extent, they are. Whilst nicotine or a constant stream of espressos aren't positive ways of staining your pearly whites, another cause of teeth yellowing is that they absorb fluoride. "Yellow teeth may have higher quantities of the mineral 'fluorapatite' - they may appear tainted but are still very healthy." That doesn't mean you should miss out on regular dental checks though. "Discoloured teeth should be checked because it could be decay or exposed dentine which can be very sensitive," adds Professor Eder.

So, it looks like we dont have to have shining white teeth after all for them to be in good shape.... mine are Ivory coloured and i think they look fine.... have a few fillings but thats from the sweets and smoking i used to do....

And Tooth Whitening Toothpaste is no good either according to Professor Eder:

Regularly using a whitening toothpaste can raise the risk of wearing away your tooth enamel," says Professor Eder. Just like a heavy-duty sander can wear away wooden floors. "It can be quite abrasive stuff. Home bleaching, however, supervised by a dentist, has 20 years of data to support its safety and is the most effective way of simply removing the surface stains without damaging the enamel tooth surface."

you seem to have the bases covered...

this super white fad is just that...a fad

i look around to nature for what seems to be correct...
in teeth whitening, i look to Ivory Tusks and sharks teeth i regularly beachcomb for...
the Ivory is expected to have a natural shade of yellow or washed-out umber to it's patina...
bleached, bright white ivory substitutes are prone to be rip-off plastics

young, fresh, but tiny sharks teeth with the 3 point character are pretty, but the tooth base in older sharks teeth are generally darker than the pristine white that the Actors Guild seems to cherish as 'Natural' & desirable

we are all to some degree Vain... white teeth and copper-tone bodies... whadda crock, take me how i am, i say

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Teeth are not naturally white, the color of the teeth is influenced by all kind of things from the time you are in the womb and what you mother took during pregnancy.

Still as we grow older the color varies depending what we eat or drink.

Whitening of teeth is just marketing propaganda and a way for dentist to profit, as usual is can be very damaging to your teeth on the long run.

Even my dentist tells me that whitening have its dangers. I like him he is very straight forward.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join